Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-08-2008, 10:04 AM
SpaceLab

Which telescope for $3000?

Hi everybody,

I'ts not often someone gives you $3000 to buy a gift, but that's just what my son, who's now a successful stockbroker gave me. And he's expecting me to buy a telescope, because I once told him that when I was a kid that it was one of my unfulfilled dreams. So I guess he still thinks I have a yearning for it.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that my only thoughts on the subject for the past 40 years were way back in 1979 when I feared that SkyLab was going to crash right onto my house. I do gaze at the occasional full moon -- but if I buy a bick sucker like the Losmandy G-8 (which I've been looking at) what the hell am I expecting to see? And how can I get re-enthused about something I know little about -- and relate that enthusasium to my son? Like I can't just say, "Hey Russ, I saw this big bright friggin' thing in the west last night."

Cheers
Old 31-08-2008, 10:50 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Well, of course, it depends on what you want to do with the scope. The most frequently used line to answer this question is the best scope will be the one you use the most. So have a look here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-260-0-0-1-0.html

Go to a good astro shop and ask to see some of the equipment (the GM-8 you mentioned is actaully a mount not a scope!) and if you can go to a viewing night with your local astro club, you will be able to look through some of the scopes and see what you can do with each type.
Old 31-08-2008, 10:57 AM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Spacelab,

maybe just dip your toe into astronomy and get a good set of Binocs
first.
Save the money until you are sure your enthusiasm has been re-awakened
so to speak?

Maybe also spend it on something that you do have a passion for,
maybe musical interest or practical DIY hobbywise?

regards,
Steve
Old 31-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I must say that this is the first time I have ever seen a post like this, and many reading this would be very envious of being given a 3k budget to spend on astro gear.

Your Son obviously wants to see you happy, but without a demonstrated interest and desire to get into stargazing I think its foolish to run out and spend 3k like that, especially now that second hand scopes of value have become difficult to on-sell for anything like a reasonable percentage of original cost.

Perhaps test the waters by visiting one of the astro societies public viewing nights, and see if the spark of interest can be rekindled.
If not, tell your Son that your unrealised dreams lie elsewhere. Ever wanted to go skydiving?
Old 31-08-2008, 05:39 PM
maksutover

I think you should buy the following
http://www.takahashiamerica.com/cata...0211ae713fa24d

Might have to save a bit more though...
Old 31-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Satchmo

Buy a 10" Dobsonian for $600 and give the remaining $2400 to a very worthwhile charity
Old 31-08-2008, 06:19 PM
CoombellKid

I'd go with what Mark said... a 10" dob. But I would also add an Argo
Narvis and a couple of premium EP's... that will keep you busy for a few
years.

regards,CS
Old 31-08-2008, 06:27 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Which telescope?

Hi Spacelab & All,

Geoff (Starkler) wrote:

"Your Son obviously wants to see you happy, but without a demonstrated interest and desire to get into stargazing I think its foolish to run out and spend 3k like that ..."

Absolutely spot-on advice Geoff.

It is difficult to tell from the tone of your post as to whether you really aren't that interested any more and are finding it hard to tell your son, or you are interested but really have no idea where to start.

Why not see if you really still do have an interest that a telescope can do justice too first?

There are several astronomical societies out there which run practical astronomy courses for rank beginners. The Sutherland Society is one of them and it starts soon (3 September):

http://sasi.net.au/content/view/13/27/

Alternately, you could do one/some of the courses on offer at Sydney Observatory:

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/..._education.asp

I'm sure there are other courses out there. Most evening colleges run a course or two on astronomy.

You could also buy one of the several astronomy magazines out there to see whether the subject matter really seizes your imagination.

You could do the course, read a few magazines and gauge whether you are really interested in astronomy and can then make an informed decision on what to do -- join a club and get a 'scope (in that order) or pass.

If you're not interested, I'm sure he will understand and be thankful you were able tell him so and not simply waste the money because you thought it would make him happy!

Best,

Les D
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 AM
SpaceLab

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksutover View Post
I think you should buy the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksutover View Post
http://www.takahashiamerica.com/cata...0211ae713fa24d

Might have to save a bit more though...
Had a look at that one. Is that $250K US Dollars? Problem here is that I've got like $40,000 contents policy on my house, and if say, she burnt down, imagine me trying to explain it to the insurance assessor. Like the guy says, "Was there anything else lost sir," and I have to say, "Oh yeah, there's just this old $250,000 telescope."
But it sure looks schmick, -- I suppose one can always dream -- or star gaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
Spacelab,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post

maybe just dip your toe into astronomy and get a good set of Binocs
first.
Save the money until you are sure your enthusiasm has been re-awakened
so to speak?

Maybe also spend it on something that you do have a passion for,
maybe musical interest or practical DIY hobbywise?

regards,
Steve
This is not bad advice; the music thing might upset my son a bit if I spend his money on a colection of Status Quo, Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzie albums -- you know, that generation gap thing. But I like the idea of the binocs. But what could I see with them? I think I'd start with the moon because at least I know were to find it -- sometimes. But what sort of detail could I see. Could I end up proving that the Yanks really did land there? Can you suggest a good bair of binocs that could double for Earth watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Buy a 10" Dobsonian for $600 and give the remaining $2400 to a very worthwhile charity
Hey Satch, Could you elaborate on this a bit more, because it seems too good to be true. Like here's 'Maksutover' with his 250K Takahashi -- and you come in at $600. If that's all it takes to get a start, I'm going for it. I'm fortunate I live way outside any city lights area in Northern NSW and I have a big balcony and lots of very bright stars here-- and I might go up market from the R 'n' R and spend the rest on Louis Armstrong recordings with enough even for the entire Ray Charles collection.

Cheers.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 AM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Hi Spacelab,

There is a member here with quite a collection of Binocs, I hope
Eric can chime in about a good starter set.

regards,
Steve B.

Last edited by kinetic; 01-09-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLab View Post
Hey Satch, Could you elaborate on this a bit more, because it seems too good to be true. Like here's 'Maksutover' with his 250K Takahashi -- and you come in at $600.
A 10" low-cost Dob is a great all rounder, particularly if you have a good sky and can find some of the brighter Deep Sky objects. Have a look at https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm. Their BT-252 10" Dobsonian is great value and fully checked and collimated in the shop to get you started. A sub $200 pair of binoculars is also a must as a beginner, to help you find your way about the sky.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Ditto what Rob said, 10 inch or maybe a 12 inch truss dob with Argonavis and a couple of premium eyepieces.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes, perhaps put that money in an account earning interest while you work out whether you really want to be outside at night in the cold and the dew, with mossies biting and unexpected cloud cover, waking up blearly-eyed next day from too little sleep.

As has been suggested, getting to know the sky with a pair of around 12x60 binoculars in the $150 range with a fairly robust tripod (around $120-150) will soon tell you if you want to persist.

Check you get astronomical binoculars (a green colour reflected from the objective (big) lens is the test). They will be fine for daytime terrestrial use as well. Don't get ones showing a red reflection (ruby coatings) - they are designed solely for reducing sun glare during daytime.

Search "binoculars" on this site for lots of advice.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Check you get astronomical binoculars (a green colour reflected from the objective (big) lens is the test).
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Check you get astronomical binoculars (a green colour reflected from the objective (big) lens is the test).

Search "binoculars" on this site for lots of advice.
Hi Eric,

The Green Coatings don't mean a lot per se. However, if you haven't used premium Japanese or German made binoculars its easy to form that opinion. The important issue with binoculars from an astronomy perspective is that the Binoculars use "BAK4 prisms" and have "fully multicoated" objective lenses. It just so happens by coincidence that 99% of the "Fully Multicoated Binoculars" coming out of China have "GREEN" coatings. A large number of the high quality binoculars which are fully multicoated coming out of Germany and Japan don't have green coatings. Many of the high quality fully multicoatings have a deep purplish tone. They work very well for astronomy and are generally a quantum leap ahead of those coming out of China, notwithstanding the Chinese binoculars have "green" coatings.

The BAK 4 prisms ensure better transmission towards the edge of the Field of View than is possible with the cheaper BK7 prisms. It is easy to tell which prisms the binocular has. Hold them up to a light source and look at the exit pupil eminating from one of the binocular eyepieces. If the exit pupil is circular the prisms are BAK4, which is what you want. If the prisms are diamond shaped they are BK7 and I would avoid them.

Cheers,
John B
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLab View Post
I didn't have the heart to tell him that my only thoughts on the subject for the past 40 years ...
In that case I'd stick to buying a nice pair of binoculars and visit the observing nights at a nearby society several times to see if there's a spark, before blowing the cash on a scope you might only use a few times. The resale value of most telescopes is not good even if in "mint" condition, so its best to consider the money spent if you do take the plunge.

Before you buying something you'd better read this, first
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,261,0,0,1,0

As you're not all that enthusiastic yet, I'd hesitate to suggest a Dobsonian. It's quite likely it won't see a lot of use and you may wish for something else. Personally I've concluded its often better to have a compact short refractor for viewing for fun, especially when we go away for a weekend, and a compact telescope suited to viewing the moon and planets. Lastly you may want something that can "dial up" interesting things instead of learn to navigate your way round the sky from an atlas, and can track well enough to keep the planets in view. An interesting view requires a focal ratio f/10 or longer and at least 150mm (6") aperture.

For this reason I'll suggest:

(a) something like a 102mm ED f/7 refractor on an altaz tripod for general viewing, this will be very portable and easy to use; and/or

(b) either the Celestron Nexstar 6SE, or possibly the Meade LX90-ACF 08".

In each case throw in 2-3 midrange widefield eyepieces.

If the "aperture fever" bug bites hard (it might) note you can pick up excellent secondhand 'scopes and eyepieces at a good discount through some of the larger societies (ASNSW for example) as well as through this forum. For example there is a perfectly good 10" Meade going well within your budget, this is fine for visual use:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=35630

Last edited by Wavytone; 06-09-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post

The Green Coatings don't mean a lot per se. However, if you haven't used premium Japanese or German made binoculars its easy to form that opinion.
Guess who has never had the opportunity to experience premium quality binoculars! Someday, I hope.

Thanks John. Yes any guidance notes of choosing astronomical binoculars will deal with the form of prism used and other matters. Search out reviews on this site and others.