Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

DMK21AU04AS for long exposure

Has any member used the DMK21AU04AS for long exposure with success?
It has this ability if you can work it out?
I'd appreciate how to use it in this non video mode
Old 30-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Dennis,

I have successfully used my DMK21AU04.AS for long exposure imaging. The DMK has an exposure limit of 60 minutes so will have no problems with it. All you have to do set the exposure time in IC Capture to whatever exposure time you require and it will do the rest.

What is does is save all your long exposures into a video file that you will need to seperate with VitualDub for stacking later.

Old 31-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Thanks Matty P for your reply. I have only tested this feature on the bench top - no tele , no pictures- the DMK will capture the light variations so one knows when it is capturing in AVI. I understand the settings to produce long exposure and while doing so it shows NO FRAMES. But after I stop the recording it throws up a window stating THE DEVICE IS IN LIVE MODE, BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO DELIVER IMAGES.PLEASE TRY TO CHOSE A DIFFERENT VIDEO FORMAT. I find it has saved a file/s in the folder chosen for the AVI files but they will not open. As you stated.
I'm not a computer wizz and need to go at it very slow. Virtual Dub you say will open these files? Can you give me a little more info how to go about getting and using this?
Old 31-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
Thanks Matty P for your reply. I have only tested this feature on the bench top - no tele , no pictures- the DMK will capture the light variations so one knows when it is capturing in AVI. I understand the settings to produce long exposure and while doing so it shows NO FRAMES. But after I stop the recording it throws up a window stating THE DEVICE IS IN LIVE MODE, BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO DELIVER IMAGES.PLEASE TRY TO CHOSE A DIFFERENT VIDEO FORMAT. I find it has saved a file/s in the folder chosen for the AVI files but they will not open. As you stated.
I'm not a computer wizz and need to go at it very slow. Virtual Dub you say will open these files? Can you give me a little more info how to go about getting and using this?
The video file may not be opening because you might be using the incorrect codec.

Do you know which one you are using?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Matty P
There is only one Codex listed on my DMK 21 AU04 AS Y800. (640 x 480) Should there be others?
It seems most strange to me, that the manufacturer would produce an article to capture a long exposure that will not be opened in Windows. Can they be opened without Virtual Dub. Is this the only software available to over come the long exposure problem.
I wonder how many other ASTRO interested folk have found similar? You would expect to find it mentioned in the HELP section. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks Matty P