Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
eze

anything else besides 8'' Dob for DSO

Hi everybody

Finally I am about to buy (or my lovely wife is going to give me for father's day) my first telescope.
I bought last year a pair of 12x60 binoculars and I start knowing the sky. But I want more.

I think I am more interesting on DSO than planets, so after reading a lot I thought about a 8'' Dobsonian. I was thinking of buying one from bintel for au$ 429 basically because I am in Melbourne and I will save a lot of money from the post. The other option would be the GSO deluxe version from Andrews that would be about au$ 380 with post, but it won't include a 10:1 fine focus Crayford focuser, that I have read it is quite useful.

Now , before giving her a go, I would like to check with you about some other kind of scopes, because I don't know exactly what would be the difference.
The budget woudl be about 450 all included. I think I will have to spend some more money for the collimation tools.

I was intrigue by Skywatcher 150 x 1000P newtonian reflector that is 349 included post at Andrews with eq3-2 mount. Wouldn't it be a good alternative. I can see that the aperture is 2'' smaller, but shouldn't I be able to see some good DSO stuff and It won't be as big as a Dob and more easy to transport. Would it be better for planets ?

The other option would be something like Skywatcher 102 x 500 AZ3 refractor for $499 or even 120 x 600mm OTA + AZ3...A$499. Wouldn't this be good overall scopes to have some nice DSO views and also better much more better planet views?

Like I said before, my first option would be an 8'' Dobsonian, but I just wanted to know a bit more about the differences with this two others scopes before buying.

Thanks a lot for your help
Cheers
Eze
Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

If DSOs are what you crave then you are going to need the most aperture that you can afford and use. The more light gathering ability your scope has the more faint fuzzies you will find.

Of the scopes listed, I'd suggest that the 8 inch is the minimum I would purchase if DSOs are your target.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Yes, an 8" Dob with be a great first telescope especially if you want to observe DSOs. As Scott has already said for observing DSOs you will want the biggest aperture can afford and be able to move around. 8" is a minimum but if you can afford it on your budget go for a 10".

Just remember that the more aperture the better.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

... DSO's oooh yes the faint fuzzys elusive little buggers they are! i think the best investment to see these is ....DARK SKY though like its already been said... bigger your light bucket the better. remember this the power of squares and telescope mirrors.! 2"^2 = 4, 3"^2 = 9, 4"^16 5"^2=25 once your hitting 8 and 10" that ^2 becomes noticable!

but the best thing to do is go to your local astro club and have a look though some of their gear, talk to the people touch some of the stuff. theres no use getting something only to sell it a few months on for something that will work for what you want
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Hi Eze,

I am not the person to be giving advice on other scopes but I do have a 200mm (8") Skywatcher and think it is the greatest! And I love DSO,s.

As others have said, for DSO's aperture rules along with dark skies. But also you should consider, will you need to to move your scope around either just for setup or in the car to a viewing sight. I believe 10" scopes or more can be a bit of a handful.

Whatever you decide on I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Babalyon 5

Howdy! An 8 or 10inch Dob is what you want. Aperture rules for visual observing of deep space objects. Closely followed by optical quality, eg; its no good having a 12inch Dob if all the stars are streaks of light, not points of light. Id probably look at the Skywatcher line of Dobs, but the are all probably made in the same factory in good ol' China anyway.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Bigger the better! I bought an 8" Dobsonian as my first scope and love it to bits!!

The crayford 10:1 focuser on the GSO dobsonian is a pretty nifty little unit, and with a few tweaks here and there can actually be quite a pleasant focuser to use..

If you can, stretch the budget that little bit more and go for a 10"... I've found with my 8" that in anything but pristine dark skies, galaxies are kind of boring.... Nebula (depending on which one and filters used etc) are actually quite a lot better than I expected...

An 8 or 10" dob will give you years of observing! Get into it!

Ps. While you're at it, get yourself a collimating eyepiece too... you'll need it.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Dobs are easier to use too. Just plonk them, gently, on the ground and you're ready to go.
They pull apart into 2 pieces so they are simple to dissemble and easy to assemble.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Out of your list the 8" is the easy winner for almost any general observing. As everyone else has said for DSO the bigger the better but something called the budget hits us all and if the 8" and collimating eyepiece falls within your budget then go for it. I still use my 8" most often as the larger scope is just that bit more work to set up and move but if its a great night then it comes out and I love it.

Remember, the best scope is the one you use the most and that doesn't send you broke so you observe out of guilt.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

If you are a visual astronomer then aperture rules, and you should invest your money in the optics, not the mount. There is not much point in a tracking EQ platform unless you want to image. You are better off with a dobsonian than an EQ based telescope.

Regarding the 4" or 5" achro refractor being better than a newtonian for planets, the answer is no. Once again, aperture rules for planets, and also the achro's will display colour fringing on bright objects (like jupiter/venus/moon) washing out detail and giving a purple fringe around the object.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
Hi everybody

Finally I am about to buy (or my lovely wife is going to give me for father's day) my first telescope.
I bought last year a pair of 12x60 binoculars and I start knowing the sky. But I want more.

I think I am more interesting on DSO than planets, so after reading a lot I thought about a 8'' Dobsonian. I was thinking of buying one from bintel for au$ 429 basically because I am in Melbourne and I will save a lot of money from the post. The other option would be the GSO deluxe version from Andrews that would be about au$ 380 with post, but it won't include a 10:1 fine focus Crayford focuser, that I have read it is quite useful.

Now , before giving her a go, I would like to check with you about some other kind of scopes, because I don't know exactly what would be the difference.
The budget woudl be about 450 all included. I think I will have to spend some more money for the collimation tools.

I was intrigue by Skywatcher 150 x 1000P newtonian reflector that is 349 included post at Andrews with eq3-2 mount. Wouldn't it be a good alternative. I can see that the aperture is 2'' smaller, but shouldn't I be able to see some good DSO stuff and It won't be as big as a Dob and more easy to transport. Would it be better for planets ?

The other option would be something like Skywatcher 102 x 500 AZ3 refractor for $499 or even 120 x 600mm OTA + AZ3...A$499. Wouldn't this be good overall scopes to have some nice DSO views and also better much more better planet views?

Like I said before, my first option would be an 8'' Dobsonian, but I just wanted to know a bit more about the differences with this two others scopes before buying.

Thanks a lot for your help
Cheers
Eze
I have the 120 x 600 scope you mention as a guide scope on top of a 200mm scope (admittedly not a dob but a vixen cas). I have tried to look at some deep sky stuff with the guidescope but this is a good example of where aperture certainly rules. There just isn't the light grab with the 120mm scope and you cant see as much. Go for the bigger scope.