Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Jeanette I used to live at the southern end of Golden Beach, with the northern tip of Bribie directly opposite my waterfront flat and about 900 metres across the passage, and the F-111 you saw would have been one of the ones that used to do practice bombing runs along the beach side there.

There is an old concrete WW2 "bunker" (2 storey gun emplacement) on the beach there just a few hundred metres south of where I lived, they'd come along the surf side from the south, using the F-111's fantastic terrain following capabilities to fly quite low, then "bomb' the bunker before pulling up and away to sea.

Sadly they don't do this anymore. I think the fact that this attack line put them on a direct heading towards Caloundra headland and Bulcock / Kings Beaches, combined with the fact that the F-111's would cover the 3 kilometre gap in just seconds, put a lot of members of the public right off when they saw these things flying low and screaming right at them. I used to love watching them do these runs!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

yeah they sure move quick rob ,watching them approach the bombing range at Evans is pretty cool the sound barrier is a long way behind the planes .
I bumped into a guy who used to come down from amberly to spot for live
runs they used to do..he told me once they get over the water off brisbane
and put the foot down there banking in to the range in four minutes.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

You can't expect people to volunteer their alien experiences for fear of ridicule. If you want to get to the bottom of this, you need to ask probing questions.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
You can't expect people to volunteer their alien experiences for fear of ridicule. If you want to get to the bottom of this, you need to ask probing questions.
ProbingBottom

That might trigger a flashback memory
Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 AM
67champ

Caleb,

Back in the mid to late 1970's I saw two different objects in the night sky on two consecutive evenings that I couldn't identify and still to this day can't explain. I just found my "notes" on that a couple weeks ago, let me check on that and see what the dates were and more details. There were no little green men, and they weren't Venus or weather balloons! :-)

If I were to try to come up with something for each, I would guess that the first night I could have seen a secret stealth jet flying very low (however, there was NO noise) and the next night could have been a phenomenon known as "Ball Lightening" I think it's called.

I'll get back with you.

dt

Last edited by 67champ; 07-02-2008 at 04:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 AM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67champ View Post
could have been a phenomenon known as "Ball Lightening" I think it's called.

dt
Ball lightning is slightly contriversal and there has been little studied on it because it is rare, but you need to have clouds to produce it like all lightning. Well, that's not all true. You can get high atmospheric lightning occuring in the ionosphere above clouds.

Some pictures of Ball lightning:
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...&ct=image&cd=3
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

My grandfather claimed to have witnessed ball-lightning as a young man in the UK. The Ball apparently came into his house through the fire-place, floated down the hallway and out through the front door.
Sounds utterly ridiculous I know, but he was a very intelligent, rational and grounded man, and never touched alcohol, so I had no reason to doubt his story.
There are countless other witness accounts of similar ball activity, and if it were not for my grandfather's story, I would be a skeptic.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
67champ

Ok, my observations were on November 12, and 13, 1977 in Newark, Ohio, in the United States. The first night, under clear skies at 7:45pm I saw what I would describe as a kind of "v" shaped or boomerang shaped object. The entire object was very slightly illuminated by a faded white light with a thin line of kind of a greenish glow near the leading "front" edge. (now this would be what I saw looking up at the "bottom" side of the object) I noticed it at
approximately zenith position and watched it move steadily, with absolutely no noise, north to south, for just under ten seconds until it could not be visually detectible. At the time I noted that it looked like it was a few hundred yards (meters) off the ground, but I just couldn't tell for sure, I also noted it could have been much higher (making it a huge object), but it was too difficult to tell. As I remember, it appeared to be slightly bigger in width than my two hands at arms length away. I think I will always believe it was some kind of aircraft or spacecraft.

The next evening at 8:15pm I saw a very dim, fuzzy ball of white light (kind of shaped like saturn, but the "rings" didn't extend out as far as they do with the planet). It looked a little smaller in the sky than what the moon is, only much much dimmer. It was in a very similar path as the "thing" the night before, but this moved much faster and I watched it move from about the zenith position in the sky to the southern horizon in close to five seconds. I have noted on my log, that I had observed four metors before I saw this. I did not note where the meteor were in the sky.

Now, you can assume and guess any "logical" normal earthy phenomenon or whatever you wish; just realize that I was there and you were not, and I still don't know what I saw. I would still like to hear ideas of what I observed other than Venus and weather balloons!!!!!!! LOL I guess "ball lightening" may be ruled out on the second night...? I can see how one may assume I saw another meteor on the second evening; just never saw anything like that before.

dana t

Last edited by 67champ; 08-02-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added size of second object
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

I have to say that I am pretty skeptical about UFO sightings and stories of contact etc. The concept of travel from distant solar systems or through time I can't really get my head around. However, I vividly recall seeing something that I find very hard to explain. This happened in the late '70s, when I was about 16-17. A group of us (about 10 all told), unintoxicated in any way, were on top of Captain Phillip's Lookout in Beacon Hill (Sydney) at about 9.30 pm. For about 45 minutes, we watched 2 triangular patterns of red lights above the sea off Dee Why beach. Each "pattern" (and its hard not to conclude that they were the outlines of some vehicle) would hover, but sort of shake/shimmer, then move abruptly and very rapidly either horizontally or vertically over quite significant distances - perhaps 1-2 km at a time. Each pattern made these movements independently of the other. These movements in no way resembled that of either a fixed wing aircraft (as they hovered) or a helicopter (as they were far too rapid and acceleration seemed instantaneous). The lights kept going, we just moved on totally perplexed by what we'd seen. I can think of no trick of the light or ball lightning that would explain what I saw. I can also think of no good reason why any being would go to all the trouble to visit and not bother saying hello. And if they wanted to stay unobserved, why come with blazing red lights?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
67champ

I do admit that our eyes/brain are sometimes "tricked" by different lighting effects. So, what a person thinks they see is not always what it really is. I'm stumped by what I saw.

One example of our eyes/brain being "tricked" is that many photos of the moon craters Theophilus and Cyrillus as well as others looked inverted or look like a mound or dome instead of a crater. If you blink or look away from the photo it often will swap back and forth from looking like normal craters and then look completely opposite (like a dome).

dana t
Old 13-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Domol (Domenic)
Bring on the night!

[quote=Paddy;296634 ", we watched 2 triangular patterns of red lights above the sea off Dee Why beach. Each "pattern" (and its hard not to conclude that they were the outlines of some vehicle) would hover, but sort of shake/shimmer, then move abruptly and very rapidly either horizontally or vertically over quite significant distances - perhaps 1-2 km at a time. Each pattern made these movements independently of the other. "

i remember a headline channel 9 news report back in the 70's about "lights" in the sky over the ocean. It turned out to be a hoax done by fishermen at sea with large bright lights used for night work. They had pointed them up instead and moved them left & right so that the shapes in the sky would seem to hover and then move at great speed and the then hover again!

maybe someone did this sort of trick using cutout shapes in the front of the some high power lights... just an idea
Old 13-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Maybe - sounds a very similar type of movement
Old 13-02-2008, 07:51 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domol View Post
They had pointed them up instead and moved them left & right so that the shapes in the sky would seem to hover and then move at great speed and the then hover again!

maybe someone did this sort of trick using cutout shapes in the front of the some high power lights... just an idea
I seem to remember Marcia Brady doing a similar trick to her brother Peter.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:37 PM
stephend

I did tractor driving out between Narrabri and the Nandewar mountains, with a mate, keeping the tractor going 24 hours 7 days with more-or-less 12 hour shifts. We both saw several times in the early dawn some sort of blunt-nosed aircraft sliding up towards the mountains, possibly a jet showing no lights except that the sighting would finish with the thing accelerating impossibly fast, covering say the last 10k in a half second before vanishing.

This spooked us a lot and in a different way from the hallucinations we used to get from driving a tractor all night, staring into the ground lit up by the headlights. Ploughing meant going round and round giant paddocks which initially would take say 2 hours to go around once. Once I got back to near where the diesel tanker was parked, a welcome landmark, and there was this guy standing halfway between me and it just looking at me. He was about 8 feet tall. I was petrified. Another time a whole lot of little garden type dwarves ran out in front of the tractor and started putting up a little white fence. This sort of thing was really scarey because when you snapped out of it you realised how close you'd been to falling asleep and falling off and getting ploughed.

Anyway one fateful morning about 3am I reached the end of a side of a paddock and turned and there in the headlights about a kilometre away was a dimly shining white metal small curved space craft hovering above the ground. I freaked but since one can't believe in alien craft and one can never give in to fear I just kept going towards it. it sort of moved from side to side a bit but not much and remained about a metre or two above the ground till I got to within about 100 metres, my heart by this stage beating so loudly i could hear it above the tractor, which is saying something because it was a big tractor and we didn't use ear protection in those days. That was when I perceived it was the landrover we had the use of and it was my mate who'd decided to bring me a billy of tea. He'd reached the fence where there wasn't a gate and decided to wait there, and switched off the lights while I was going the other way.

It was lousy out there for astronomy despite almost zero light pollution because the 'almost' was the headlights of the tractor. So I didn't even see a single meteor in weeks. But those incredibly accelerating aircraft ... they weren't hallucinations, goodness knows what they were.

Given what we know about the size of space and the perils of space travel one has to say it is unlikely that any alien space craft will ever reach Earth. If you stand at your front door and take one step and call that reaching the moon, then if you walk off on a great circle around the earth till you finally arrive fairly tired and wet a few years later at your own back door, you can call that reaching the nearest star.

On the other hand, the size of TIME means there may be technologies out there that are at least a billion earth years more advanced than ours. Wowee, pretty scarey.
Old 14-02-2008, 04:10 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
.....On the other hand, the size of TIME means there may be technologies out there that are at least a billion earth years more advanced than ours. Wowee, pretty scarey.
Thats one thing that I keep reminding myself.
I think of how far we've come technologically in just 100 years, then think of the possibilities of another civilisation that may have been where we are now, thousands of years ago...
But do I believe we have been visited? It is possible, but very, very unlikely.
Old 14-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

I have seen UFO five times in my life. Twice in Europe and three times here in Australia. In about 1972 I was mining in remote location of northern Queensland and one late evening I found one of those things hovered few hundred meters behind our hut. It was very bright, yellowish in colour and as big as full Moon. No it was not Moon, half Moon was visible about 50 degrees from it. It was hovering in same place for few minutes then jump to the right a bit and slowly returned to its original position. After while it started to annoy me. I was there alone; my partner went about 120km to Mt. Isa for supplies. I got my rifle took cover behind large rock (just in case it would shoot back) and fired shot at it. I listen for the sound of bullet hitting something but could not hear bullet connecting. As it did not fire back or react in any way I took another shot at it aiming bit higher. Again, no reaction at all. Decided not to waste more ammo and went in the hut to make cup of coffee. When I returned with cuppa it was still there doing its little dance. By that time it was really pissing me off. There I was in middle of nowhere, alone with something weird sitting almost on the top of my hut. I went back inside and got from under my bed case of gelignite (dynamite), took out coupe of sticks, crimped detonator on the couple feet of fuse and armed gel. I walked some distance toward UFO and placed charge behind rocky outcrop shielding the hut. I lit the fuse and hid behind rock from where I was shooting previously. Now, when you blasting rock the explosions doesn’t make much noise. But if you explode couple stick of gelignite in free air it makes mighty bang. After small stones thrown up by the explosion stoped falling, I looked at UFO and it was gone. It seems that shock wave have disperse it. During time it was visible it did not seem to affect bush animals as normal sounds of bush continued undisturbed. My cat did not pay any attention to it either. It did not emit any sound I could hear.
From what I have seen and experienced of UFO I have come to the conclusion that it is some rare atmospheric phenomena. It may show on radar but so does the rain.

Only exception could be my (and my friends) sightings in Europe. Those happen on two following nights at about same time 10 PM. UFO’s were ellipsoid, white, brighter in direction of travel about half of size of Moon. Moon was visible at time of sighting. Flying very fast with no sound. First night we observed two of them, side by side one about half of diameter ahead of other. Next night we observed three of them flying in V formation. As this happens few weeks after invasion of old country by USSR and UFO’s were flying from west to east towards military airport some 50 km away, it may have been some sort of military aircraft. But speed, size and lack of sound are very puzzling. I have seen MIGs flying over our town at sub and super sonic speed day and night and this did not looked as MIG by long shot.

This is my two cents worth to UFO debate. It would be much more interesting if those things where spacecraft from the stars but with my experience I doubt it very much.
I did post this some time ago, I think
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------LX90, GS-500 150mm F5 Newtonian, ETX-105, Celestron 102 F5 Refractor Mintron MTV-62 CCD, GStar CCD, DSI Pro,35, 50, 135 and 200mm lenses.
Old 16-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Given what we know about the size of space and the perils of space travel one has to say it is unlikely that any alien space craft will ever reach Earth.
On the other hand, the size of TIME means there may be technologies out there that are at least a billion earth years more advanced than ours. Wowee, pretty scarey.
The thing about the universe is it is big, and it is old. And as you say if an alien civilisation is a billion years old I'm willing to bet its technolgy is going to be a bit more advanced and sophisticated than our present feeble attempts. With that almost the impossible would be common place.
Old 16-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Stories

A good old friend of mine told me a story about his grandmother, when she was a little girl. Story goes it is the 1890's in the Mallee of Victoria, and young grandmother, her mother, and her aunt were walking through a paddock back to the house. As they came over the crest of a small hill in the paddock they all saw a silver metallic cylinder "about the size of a railway carriage, with round portholes in it, sittting on the ground" 50 yards away. They all stood there stunned for a few seconds and then it shot straight up out of sight in a few seconds, without making a sound.

Another story.

I went to Uni with a guy, and on a hot day between lecturers I noticed a square scar on this guys ankle about 40mm X 40mm. I asked him what it was. He told me this.

He and some friends went camping down on Wilsons Prom in Victoria when he was 16, back in the late 1980's. They were sitting around a fire around 2:00AM when one of them noticed some bright lights approaching over the trees. He stated that was the last thing anyone could remember (they weren't drinking heavily)! He said the next thing any other them remember was it was pre-dawn, and the fire was out, and he had 'this' patch of skin missing from his ankle, but it wasn't painful, and eventually it healed, like he'd had a skin graft.

I thought no more of it for the best part of 10 years. Until I read an article in a daily newspaper about a guy who was involved in UFO research, after being an engineer and sceptic for years, until he was in an isolated spot, saw some strange lights, blacked out, and woke up with a square of skin missing off his lower leg.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:31 PM
wraithe

1989, 100 klm north of Meekatharra, Western Australia...I was driving south averaging about 70kmh and seen a bright light out of the left window, as i was in a truck it kind of made me think that there was a reflection on the passengers window, so i leaned over and rolled it down...weird, the light was still there and i realised it was miles away, bright and going the same way as myself...(hair stood up on the back of my neck then), thought it may have been a plane or chopper...I was towing 2x trailers so wasnt able to go any faster, but this thing seemed to be going the same speed, and after 30 minutes it looked like it hadnt moved any faster or slower than me...I thought maybe it was a star, or something, then all of a sudden it took off towards meeka, then as it got miles ahead, possibly 20 to 30, it went verticle, and i mean straight up...

I never told anyone, until a few days ago, when chatting to a mate who lived in Wiluna, at the same time...She was travelling to meekatharra with her parents and seen the same thing from the south..We estimate that it was the same night...What they saw was a light from the north heading towards them, and all of a sudden it went straight up before it got to them...They would have been about 100klms south of me when i first spotted it, and said it seemed pretty close when it went up..

Now after all these years, thinking i was seeing things, or just seen a military aircraft, i have come across someone else who seen the same as i have...

I drove trucks for 13 years(until my son was born), and spent all my life in the bush, particularly farming, and yet its the only time i couldnt explain something, and now after chatting to my mate, its even weirder than just thinking i seen something strange...
Old 22-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Peter Kalan

My 2cents worth. In the mid 80s, (i would have been about 6yrs old) i was staying over at a mates place in Prahran Melboure. We woke up at 60am or so to watch cartoons when outside high in the sky we saw an orange light which we thought was a funny looking sun. All of a sudden is started to move round in circles. 20seconds later another round orange ojbect came into view and also started moving round in circles in the air. Just as fast as they came, they both sped off out of view. We are bot alone.

download the following docos
Chariots of the gods by Eric Von Daniken
are we alone in the universe
Phenomenon/the lost archives- Genesis revisited

or view a short clip http://www.xfacts.com/old/

* the Sumerians named and listed (in order and with descriptions) all of the planets in our solar system on clay tablets dating back to 6000BCE