Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-12-2022, 12:49 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
what a great report. Thanks for sharing, Joe!
Thank you Adam!
Old 14-12-2022, 12:52 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Joe, I've completed the skysafari file for the Bambo 600 list, but it won't let me attach it anywhere. Maybe one of the admins/moderators might know how I could make this file available for those who want to install it into skysafari, or I can email it if that works better.
Great job Patrick Hopefully someone might know how you can make the file available.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:50 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
It actually gets a lot more confusing than this.

The Bayer designation for x Velorum (HIP 52154) (Dunlop 95) is "Chi" Velorum. That happened in 1603, which was when Chi (x) Velorum was given it's Bayer designation, as it is a naked eye star. The Greek letter "Chi" is expressed as "x" in lower case and "X" in upper case. However, we then have HIP 48662, which is designated as "X" Velorum, which is contradictory to the original Bayer designation for HIP 52154, in upper case. Of course HIP 48662, got it's designation of X Velorum, a few hundred years after the original.

Cheers
John B
I observed both "X" Velorum's a few minutes ago! Capital X Velorum the red carbon star as well as small x Velorum the double star. x Velorum is beautiful, I saw blue and gold components. I can see now why it is your favourite double John Thanks for recommending it!
Old 10-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I had another look at these two stars through my 140mm refractor last night. xVelorum is certainly a very pretty double. I saw light blue and gold. It is certainly one of my favourites too, but, in our southern skies, it is hard to go past HR2764 in Canis Major. The open cluster NGC2362 is nearby and easily seen in the same low power FOV.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:01 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
I had another look at these two stars through my 140mm refractor last night. xVelorum is certainly a very pretty double. I saw light blue and gold. It is certainly one of my favourites too, but, in our southern skies, it is hard to go past HR2764 in Canis Major. The open cluster NGC2362 is nearby and easily seen in the same low power FOV.
G'day Steve. I agree, HR2764 is a beautiful double and the stunning NGC 2362 is nearby. I'm in observing heaven at the moment with Puppis,Vela and Carina rising higher in the sky with Crux and Centaurus to come! We sure are blessed with our southern skies