Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Akwestland (Andrew and Kim)
Andrew and Kim

Over awed so far

Hello all,

My name is Andrew and I have just started on this great journey of astrolotofthings. I have been watching/reading this and other sites for a couple of months now and decided that this maybe the place to start getting involved.

My Wife has always wanted a "scope". I have secretly been researching the topic and a couple of weeks ago (Xmas) I bought Her a Celestron Nexstar 4SE. I do not know if this was a good or bad decision, we have since learnt that it would not allow us to see what we would like to,even though the sales lady said we would.

We have now (maybe) decided to let that be. We may add to the set with a larger scope in the near future. I have so many questions that I am trying to gather as much info as I can from any/everywhere and am now probably confusing myself.

Maybe the first question is "is bigger better?" Considering as a second scope a 10 or 12 inch Dob. i am very open to any comments on this as a starter question (there will be many more to follow).

To assist in answering this we live on a farm which means near enough to zero light pollution, the space, oops area, to move, no transport issues with the convenience right out our front door. We live in far East Gippsland, star parties/observing nights out here do not seem to exist. Our aim is to see as much as we can nebulae, planets, clouds etc. We will probably eventually head down the path of astrophotography as I am an ex-photographer. But i need to learn about scopes and the universe first. (that sounds like a huge statement)

I will use the incorrect terms on here and be corrected, I expect that, the learning curve seems huge at the moment but am trying to work with it.

I look forward to hearing from any that would like to add to this.

Andrew & Kim
Old 21-01-2015, 12:29 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

When you say it wont Le you see what you want to see what objects R U taking about? Where did you buy from?
As yonprob can't return it -& most likely lose slot on its resale, id say stick with it fi now & use it for moon planets & some brighter object. The go to will force you to learn some stars
I'd hold off on buying another scope jug for now, but you may wan to go ahead, your decision
Old 21-01-2015, 07:33 AM
kens (Ken)

You should be able to see plenty with that scope with your dark skies, but in general bigger is better.
The biggest problem lately has been a severe shortage of cloudless skies.
You've bought a reputable brand but arguably not "fit for purpose".
If you can't get your money back then why not use it to learn the skies, techniques (esp astrophotography) and the pros and cons of different gadgetry before investing in scope #2.
What eyepieces did you get with the scope? Many deep sky objects (DSOs) are large but diffuse. Maybe you just need a different eyepiece or a focal reducer.
One point on dobsonians, in general they cannot be used for astrophotography. But for visual observing they are great.
Old 23-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Andrew and Kim

Dannat, thank you for your response, after a lot of reading/playing I think that we have decided to keep this scope and look at something else a bit further down the track.
We specifically asked the sales people at Optics Central (Melbourne) will this allow us to see the Horsehead Nebulae, the response was yes. Last week we went to Bintel in Melbourne and they said that we would not be able to see it with this scope. We would like to be able to view some of these type DSO's.

Kens, thank you also, the eyepiece we got with the scope is a 25mm Plossel. We have had some fun so far, whilst it is getting late I am still trying to view comet lovejoy.

As an open question about eyepiece's are these type (http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/tel...eyepieces.html) any good or am I better to go for specific sized eyepieces? and also, filters, what is the better way to go with filters?

Looking forward to any responses.

Andrew
Old 23-01-2015, 01:12 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

hmmm horsehead -optics central were way off, most need either a very good mirror of 10"+ or high end refractor to see hh [& with a filter]
their is a report of it being vis in a good binocular of 70mm aperture, but conditions would have to be perfect

the baader zoom is a good ep, can be had cheaper from HK if youre happy to buy check peter Tan, most likely fixed f/l ep's will be better than the saxon zoom which has a narrow field of view.

if you want i have a orion zoom seen here, if you want to pay post you're welcome to borrow it for a month or 2 to try out zooms [pm me]

as for filters id start with a decent general nebula filter eg - dgm optics npb filter, the other to think about down the trk is a OIII filter -which is good but just for specific targets
Old 23-01-2015, 01:32 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwestland View Post
Dannat, thank you for your response, after a lot of reading/playing I think that we have decided to keep this scope and look at something else a bit further down the track.
We specifically asked the sales people at Optics Central (Melbourne) will this allow us to see the Horsehead Nebulae, the response was yes. Last week we went to Bintel in Melbourne and they said that we would not be able to see it with this scope. We would like to be able to view some of these type DSO's.

Kens, thank you also, the eyepiece we got with the scope is a 25mm Plossel. We have had some fun so far, whilst it is getting late I am still trying to view comet lovejoy.

As an open question about eyepiece's are these type (http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/tel...eyepieces.html) any good or am I better to go for specific sized eyepieces? and also, filters, what is the better way to go with filters?

Looking forward to any responses.

Andrew
The Horsehead with a 4 inch scope? They really said that? I have only recently nabbed Horsey and only in a 20" and a 25"! Yes it can be done in smaller and i am keen to have a go with smaller apertures but no way with 4".
For visual observing as a general rule, bigger is better. This has limitations. A 25" scope is a huge beast that takes a lot of setting up and needs to have an owner committed to deep sky observing. Even 8"-12" scopes often surprise new owners with how large they are. But given that, aperture helps you see more.

Malcolm
Old 23-01-2015, 02:36 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
The Horsehead with a 4 inch scope? They really said that? I have only recently nabbed Horsey and only in a 20" and a 25"! Yes it can be done in smaller and i am keen to have a go with smaller apertures but no way with 4". Malcolm
Here is an interesting read on viewing the horsehead with different scopes. http://freescruz.com/~4cygni/haggisi...o/HH-sense.htm

A few people in our local astro group have Celestron Nexstar 4SE scopes and they have suprisingly good views, a good grab and go scope. As for eyepieces 25mm is a good alrounder, but I would try a wider field eyepiece say 32mm for dso's and maybe a 10mm for planets. Bintel have some well priced plossel eyepices that will do the job.
Old 26-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Andrew and Kim

danat, thank you for the offer of the loan of the eye piece. We may not take you up on the offer (no offence) as I would hate to see anything happen to it in transit. But we greatly appreciate the offer. And the luck that we are having with non clear skies since buying a telescope has been incredible.

Malcolm, thank you for your comments. If we go too big then I will build some sort of observing station. We are on a farm so space is no problem and I have various materials laying around wanting to be built into something.

doppler, that article is a great read. I ave read that and a couple of associated links.

As a general question on EP's what is a "good" FOV. I have found these online from America and England respectivell. Are they any good, if they are rubbish then please say so.

(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-18mm-...item43d673273b)
and
)http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/One-1-25-...item2a2ad98697)

Also filters, the same question applies here.
(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Meade-t...item463287cedb)

Once again thank you all for the time to respond on this and I look forward to any further responses.

Andrew
Old 26-01-2015, 10:10 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

yes those eyepieces will both be ok in your scope [long focal length] -the meade will be better at the edge in a short f/l scope.
another good ep suggestion is the astrotech paradigm/BST star guider, god views, 60 deg & comfortable eye relief
Old 26-01-2015, 11:19 PM
ralph1
cloud magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
hmmm horsehead -optics central were way off, most need either a very good mirror of 10"+ or high end refractor to see hh [& with a filter]
their is a report of it being vis in a good binocular of 70mm aperture, but conditions would have to be perfect.
For me the horsehead was visible in a celestron 130mm telescope under fairly dark skies (dark enough for triangulum and sculptor to be naked eye) without massive difficulty on multiple nights and only one year of experience. It should be visible in a celestron Nexstar 4SE given a good night, dark skies and a bit of practice. I used no filter to see it. It won't be easy, but by no means is it impossible. Still though, probably best to start with something easier like the orion or carina nebulae.
Old 26-01-2015, 11:23 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

With eyepieces, my usual advice to beginners is wait and use the ones you have a while first.
It is very easy to end up throwing good money away chasing "better" eyepieces when realistically, the improvement is often only marginal.
As for a "best" FOV, again that is a matter of opinion. I love wide eyepieces ( a look at my sig will reveal that!) but a lot of observers do not.

Malcolm