Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-10-2017, 01:42 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Photographic Equipment - Help needed :)

Howdy! haven't posted here in ... years!! i got into astrophotography, and TBH it kinda killed my interest in amateur astronomy, although it's starting to creep back.

Anyway .... my father in law died a couple of weeks ago, its maybe quite pertinent to mention him here. Colin Cochran came here from Edinburgh, from my own native and bonny Scotland, in the early 60's as at the time he was one of the worlds foremost electronic and aerospace engineers, in a relatively new field, he worked at Tidbinbilla, and Honeysuckle Creek, as part of the tracking team for Apollo 11, after doing work NASA and a UK Aerospace company. He was instrumental in the leading work carried out here in the 60's and was a very well known person around the place, both for his knowledge and his accent. Indeed, we are lucky enough have all these signed NASA documents at home, and a medal made from the the original metal from Apollo 11, that sits on up on the unit! In short, anyone who knows anything about Tidbinbilla etc, will know who Colin was, or certainly have known of him. I was lucky enough to spend time with Colin before his very sudden death, and we joked about everything from the Higgs Bosson particle, to the best pubs on Edinburgh's Rose street, just behind the royal mile.

Anyway, we are cleaning out all of Colins things (which, he stored in MY garage, as he was a bit of a hoarder) and since he had no life insurance, we are trying to get some $$ for Anne, his widow, who herself, is now in a bad way.

I was charged with 2 things, selling his F10 6" reflector, that he made 50 years ago, with all home made parts, and finding out about this stuff, his old photographic equipment. Now, i don't know much about this kinda stuff, but i know there are plenty here who do, or who could at least expand on things for me, can anyone tell me about any of the equipment in the images? is it all junk? is any of it useable?

many thank

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20171010_121848.jpg)
176.5 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (20171010_121230.jpg)
187.8 KB134 views
Click for full-size image (20171010_121822.jpg)
159.3 KB121 views
Old 29-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Kunama

Hello Duncan,

Sorry to hear of Colin's passing, three of my friends also worked at Honeysuckle at that time and Colin would have known them well.
Martin Geasley was on duty for the first moon landing as Comms Supervisor.

Perhaps contact Helen Dawes, President of the Southside Camera Club or Peter Keogh. They might know local collectors of older camera gear.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Sorry to hear the sad news....
Unfortunately old film camera gear is not in great demand.
(I tried to sell some early Olympus gear and none of the Melbourne camera shops were interested )
Hopefully there may be some avid local collectors who are prepared to pay at least a few dollars....
Old 29-10-2017, 04:23 PM
doppler (Rick)

Old film cameras maybe of not much use, except to a collector but some old lenses are good quality and with adapter rings fitted can be used on newer digital cameras. Get some details, and do an ebay search to see what others are asking for their old lenses. Or detail / list the individual items and post here in the classifieds.
Old 29-10-2017, 07:20 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Duncan,
Condolences. There is a camera collectors club in Canberra. I don’t have a contact but can probably find someone who has a contact.

The members buy and sell older stuff for collection rather than use. From what I can see, some of the bigger lenses are from third party cheap and nasty lens makers of the 60’s and 70’s, basically unsellable. The Ashashi Takumar lenses are more sellable but still at best and just my guess, $20 up to $200(max). Some of them look in very poor condition. I live in Canberra and I’d be happy to take a closer look help you sort wheat from chaff. Then you’ll need to search eBay and other second hand sellers etc for similar items to get asking prices. As others suggested, not much demand for this sort of gear nowadays.

Good luck

Joe
Old 30-10-2017, 12:45 PM
leon

Firstly my condolence on the passing of your father in law, sad news indeed.

Wow you have some great collectors stuff there, I do know someone that would snap that up, but he is in Ballarat, I am in Queensland at the moment and you are in Canberra.
Is there a price for all of the old camera gear? not really interested in the Scope however.

Thanks.

Leon
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Wavytone

Hi Duncan,

The Pentax Spotmatic might be worth anywhere from $50-200 depending on condition and has the original Pentax 50mm lens. Some - not all - Takumar lenses maybe worth a few dollars.

The non-Pentax lenses (Hanimex, Cosmicar etc) are worthless (note Cosmicar had a habit of slapping “Pentax” on things, but they’re not Pentax lenses).

The compact camera and light meter... if it was a Leica or a Voigtlander Vito and the lightmeter is a Weston, both in good condition and working - they’re worth something to collectors. But it appears they’re neither of the above, value is nil.

Last edited by Wavytone; 01-11-2017 at 01:06 PM.