Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-04-2024, 08:05 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Stellarium vs other apps on phone

I've used Stellarium on and off for several years, since I won an iPad 2 and gave it to my son, he put it on for me. It amazed me because it was the first time I'd used any programs like that.

I know there's several apps for phones, is Stellarium still a good choice or is there better software to run on an old Samsung S8 (older Android phone, not tight, broke)?
Thanks!
Old 22-04-2024, 07:43 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I still run Stellarium on a Samsung A42. While it's a later 'phone ( a couple of years old now) it's certainly not at the cutting edge of the latest technology. I wouldn't be without it, and having tried a couple of the other mobile apps, I find I keep coming back to Stellarium. There are a couple of other good ones out there, but I find Stellarium the best all-rounder, at least for what I do.
Old 22-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Thanks Warren!
I haven't tried any other programs, been using Stellarum for some time now when I actually remember it's on my hone and my son shows me how to find it.
Old 26-04-2024, 11:19 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Leo,

I have both Stellarium and SkySafari. I teach nightscape photography courses and recommend it to students wanting an astroplanetarium on the cheap. For a telescopic astronomer and especially if you want to do wireless remote goto control of a telescope, spend the money on SkySafari.

If you want cheap and are willing to put up with slightly clunky, go Stellarium which only costs a few dollars.

Although both the user interfaces look similar, I find SkySafari a much better user experience. I can't really put it into words, it's just easier and more intuitive and smoother to use.

I don't know if it will run on your old tablet. Mine runs perfectly well on my 2017 iPad mini running an up to date iOS(operating system). I run each version of Sky Safari for about 2-3 years, then update when it's on an astronomical event special (eclipses, comets, meteor showers) usually for USD20.

Joe
Old 27-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Thanks Joe!
The old iPad is no longer in use, long dead but I do use my Samsung S8 phone. It doesn't run the latest Android.
Though I'd like to have a look at Skysafari, I've heard of it before.
I'll be talking to a good friend in Young over the weekend, Paul D. He runs a technology shop in Young and I might ask if he has a later model used phone for a good price. We became good friends not long after I moved to Young in 97 and he was working in Donges electronics (Dick Smith from memory), I have a background in electronics and we had a lot in common and still keep in touch regularly.

Last edited by Leo.G; 27-04-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 29-04-2024, 10:00 AM
NewBee101 (Robert)
NewBee101

Stellarium verses other apps

Hi Joe, I see in your reply that you use SkySafari, do you control your mount with it, if you do, can I ask how you set it up to do that? I have posted a thread here about the issue I am having with my SW Star Adventurer GTi and SkySafari, that I cant get SF to slew the mount.
Cheers Robert