Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2023, 09:58 AM
Matthieu

Advice needed, should I prioritise UHC (or OIII) filter or ultra wide field eyepieces

Hi there,

I'm new here and am interested in hearing any advice you may have on what to prioritise first between ultra wide angle eyepieces (82°+) or nebulae filters.

Over the last 4-5 months of learning on a 70mm f/10, I've found myself enjoying M42 and Carina the most but at the same time couldn't really see much galaxies wise (LMC/SMC aside). I've just bought a second hand 400mm (16inch) f/4.5 but I suspect that nebulae will be a mainstay of what I look at hence the filter question

I already have a 68° 30mm GSO superview as well as some Celestron X-cell 60° eyepieces (a range between 25-5mm) so I'm not stuck with 42° aFoV.

Considering the above, does it make more sense to invest in something like a 31mm Luminos (I still need to check my dilated pupil size though) or get a similar quality midrange filter. Note that TV, ES and co are out of reach for now.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-04-2023, 10:50 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
Hi there,

I'm new here and am interested in hearing any advice you may have on what to prioritise first between ultra wide angle eyepieces (82°+) or nebulae filters.

Over the last 4-5 months of learning on a 70mm f/10, I've found myself enjoying M42 and Carina the most but at the same time couldn't really see much galaxies wise (LMC/SMC aside). I've just bought a second hand 400mm (16inch) f/4.5 but I suspect that nebulae will be a mainstay of what I look at hence the filter question

I already have a 68° 30mm GSO superview as well as some Celestron X-cell 60° eyepieces (a range between 25-5mm) so I'm not stuck with 42° aFoV.

Considering the above, does it make more sense to invest in something like a 31mm Luminos (I still need to check my dilated pupil size though) or get a similar quality midrange filter. Note that TV, ES and co are out of reach for now.

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt. The xl's are quite good eyepieces and many people here use the superviews. I would get the Olll or UHC seeing as you have a good size scope now that will take full advantage of that type of filter. Get a quality one and you will probably never sell it. You will probably chop and change your eyepices over the years so no need to hurry.
Cheers, Richard
Old 10-04-2023, 03:52 PM
Matthieu

Thanks for the advice Richard
Old 24-04-2023, 08:54 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
Hi there,

Thanks,
Matt
How dark are your skies ?
Old 24-04-2023, 11:22 PM
Matthieu

They’re bortle 4. SQM is 21.64 according to clear outside.
Old 15-05-2023, 07:34 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I agree with what Richard proposed - get an OIII or UHC (or both!), then you can make a decision about getting wider FOV eyepieces down the track. I've had the 30mm Superview in the past (and still have the 42mm, although it doesn't get much use), and they're a pretty good eyepiece for the money. That, coupled with an OIII filter in your 16" scope and things will really start to pop.
Old 16-05-2023, 01:11 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I suggest a UHC filter first then an 82 degree EP.
I have Lumicon UHC and OIII filters and a SVBONY UHC.
I rarely use the OIII and the two UHC are both good, one is on a low power EP the other on a high power EP.
Old 15-06-2023, 10:30 PM
Matthieu

Thanks for the insight Glen and Patrick, it's great to see that all the advice aligns. That makes the decision easy
Old 26-12-2023, 07:44 AM
Matthieu

I thought I'd post back in case other people have the same question in the future.

I listened to the advice earlier this year so prioritised a UHC filter from Astronomik and it made a huge difference viewing nebulae. I will get an OIII at some point too.

I also got a GSO coma corrector for the dob and the 30mm GSO Superview went from an underused eyepiece to a favourite of mine so ultra wide doesn't seem so important anymore. That said I do need an eyepiece in the 17-18mm range to bridge the gap between 2.7 and 5.6mm exit pupils on the dob