Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-07-2023, 04:12 PM
Alasdair

Keeping a dob outside?

I have a 10" dobsonian which I'm not using very much, I tend to use my 4" refractor more, simply because of its portability. I'm also in the position of needing to free up some space in my apartment, and one easy fix would be to keep the dob outside, on my balcony, protected of course by a weatherproof cover. However, my limited reading has given me mixed messages - yes it's ok to store a telescope outside; no it isn't. I don't know, so I'm asking for advice. I'm in Brunswick, Melbourne, and my balcony faces north, and has no shade. Thank you!
Old 17-07-2023, 04:22 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I...wouldn't. It will still get dust and creepy crawlies in it, as well as dew which will form night after night and not necessarily get a chance to dry off. and rust the screws and any exposed steel. I had one that I stored in what was essentially a BBQ cover in the open carport for maybe 4 years. I feel like it did age it quicker, and it was surprising how much stuff could get in there, even though the cover was cinched up tight.
Old 17-07-2023, 06:00 PM
glend (Glen)

Condensation cycles will ruin it. Do you have a storage area down in the parking garage? That would be a better choice.
Old 20-07-2023, 07:13 PM
Alasdair

Thank you very much for your answers - well, I do have a storage cage, and as soon as I've emptied it of material I'm storing for other people I'll bung my dob there, with a suitable dust cover.

Given that I'm close to retirement, I intend to find more time for stargazing, and so of course I always have my eye on the Next Best Thing. For me that's an apo triplet refractor and an (H)EQ5 mount ...