Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Curt

Hello!

Hi everyone. Yep im new to here and must say have been enjoying the site for a few weeks now and thought l better sign up.
I have only been on the astronomy wagon for a few weeks but l am hooked. Every night when im home im out in the backyard or out in the bush looking at the night sky.
I recently bought a 8 inch dob from BTOW. It took a bit of getting used to but ive got it now. Made a few mods to it as well. For a start l purchased some meade series 4000 eyepieces in a kit, along with some extra filters and high powered eyepieces as well. It is a learning experience that im enjoying quite a lot, and look forward to try and find or hunt something new every night. The faint fuzzies look nothing like the pictures you see in the books thats for sure but it is still great.
I look forward to talking to the rest of you soon.
Have fun. Curt!
Old 20-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Intergage (Matt)

I'm new too mate, welcome and enjoy!
Old 20-03-2012, 11:21 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Curt
Well done on the 8" dob. IMHO the pick of beginners scopes. What targets have you nabbed so far with it?

Malcolm
Old 22-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Curt

Hello Matt And Malcom. The objects ive been looking at is mainly the planets. Mars has really got me and l love to observe it nearly every night. When l first spotted mars it looked like and orange blob, but after a few weeks l can see detail what l couldnt see before. I put a 4mm planetary eyepiece and a orange filter and it really stands out. Saturn is what started me on the astronomy wagon. I saw it at a friends house one night and it blew me away. Jupiter is beuatiful to watch, starting to get a bit low now but l cant wait for it to come back. Venus looks good with a few filters put on it, l cant see any clouds or anything. Other objects l have looked at are Centaurus A (which was really hard to find, for me anyway) omega centauri, orion, tucanne, heaps of clusters.
Going back up to work tonight for a week of night shift and l wish l could take the scope up with me. No light pollution whatsoever. Might take the binos up just for a look.
Have fun guys! Curt.
Old 23-03-2012, 02:24 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Well done Curt. You have found one of the truisms of visual observing, the more you look the more you see. Going back to objects alllows more detail to become apparent, even with small targets like Mars!

Malcolm
Old 23-03-2012, 02:55 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Made a few mods to it as well.
Dat's what I like to hear! Welcome Curt. Keep that drill and screwdriver handy - this is a hobby for tinkerers!
Old 24-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Liz

Curt .... I had an 8" Dob for many years, and loved it!!

Have you seen the polar caps on Mars? The southern polar cap should still be visible.

Many bful objects out there to observe - have you good star charts?
Stellarium is also great and free www.stellarium.org