Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-11-2011, 05:04 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Viewing Neptune

Hey IceinSpace, been enjoying my new telescope, pitty the weather in Brisbane has been pretty lame the past few nights but I'm really excited as tonight looks great!

I was wondering if its possible to view Neptune, theres something about that planet that amazes me, it makes my heart pound when I see it so I'd love to see it in person, what time of the year is best to view it, and is it possible to see it's blue tint with a Dubsonian 150x1200?

Thanks guys, happy star hunting!

-Jason
Old 27-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

I cant see why not. Out here it is easy but i dont know about through the smog in the cities.
If you know where it is in the sky then just attempt to view it but not with high power on the first try, When you see it you will know as it distinctive blue.

Cheers Kev
Old 27-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Jason

Here is a screen print showing the location of Neptune from an astronomy observation planning application called SkyTools.

The copy is a 3-panel representation; naked eye, finder scope and eyepiece view. It is set up for my 180mm F12 telescope (2160mm focal length) and a 24mm eyepiece, so your eyepiece view would be a little different.

The naked eye view and the finder view should get you to the right location and you should see the coloured dot that is Neptune. Good luck!

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Neptune.jpg)
113.1 KB100 views
Old 27-11-2011, 07:48 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Thanks Kev, will try look for it tonight.

Cheers Dennis, very helpful that, will refer to it while I make the hunt tonight, looking forward to it!

-Jason
Old 28-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Intergage (Matt)

Thanks for posting this Jason, I too live in Brisbane and would love to see any planet really.

Do you live South or North Brisbane?
I would suggestion going up north a little while.. Maybe the Glass House Mt's (20min drive from Northern Brisbane) or maybe even a park in Dakabin somewhere. My missus lives up that way and there is always 10x + More stars out then at my place (Much closer to Brisbane City)
Old 28-11-2011, 04:27 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Hey Matt, I live in south brisbane, in Daisy Hill to be exact, I've been to table mountain before, never with my telescope but I will try that some time! Sounds great thanks for the advice.

-Jason

P.S Hows the sky looking for you? Hopefully these clouds clear before tonight
Old 30-11-2011, 10:47 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Sky and Telescope magazine also produces a finder chart for both Uranus and Neptune that can be printed. I don't take a computer with me, only charts, so this one is just fine for me:

2011 Uranus and Neptune finder chart

Note in spotting Neptune, you won't see a disk with it. Its tell-tale signature is its very intense blue colour which is too deep to be a star.

Uranus has a tiny disk, but it is featureless and really, really tiny, even at high power. But the disk is there and is noticably larger than the pin prick that a star is. Its more distinguishing feature is its colour too, Uranus being a pale greeny-blue. Some folks see it as being more green, others more blue - colour perception is very subjective.

Both of these planets are close to each other in the sky right now.

If you are really keen, you may want to try to hunt down some of Uranus' moons. They are a challenge to find though, requiring good conditions. A scope over 8" helps too. There are web sites that can give a plot to the position of these brighter of Uranus moons. I think Stellarium may, not sure though.
Old 30-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Intergage (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorAstro View Post
Hey Matt, I live in south brisbane, in Daisy Hill to be exact, I've been to table mountain before, never with my telescope but I will try that some time! Sounds great thanks for the advice.

-Jason

P.S Hows the sky looking for you? Hopefully these clouds clear before tonight

Last couple of nights I have been playing dodgem with the clouds..
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Sky and Telescope magazine also produces a finder chart for both Uranus and Neptune that can be printed. I don't take a computer with me, only charts, so this one is just fine for me:

2011 Uranus and Neptune finder chart

Note in spotting Neptune, you won't see a disk with it. Its tell-tale signature is its very intense blue colour which is too deep to be a star.

Uranus has a tiny disk, but it is featureless and really, really tiny, even at high power. But the disk is there and is noticably larger than the pin prick that a star is. Its more distinguishing feature is its colour too, Uranus being a pale greeny-blue. Some folks see it as being more green, others more blue - colour perception is very subjective.

Both of these planets are close to each other in the sky right now.

If you are really keen, you may want to try to hunt down some of Uranus' moons. They are a challenge to find though, requiring good conditions. A scope over 8" helps too. There are web sites that can give a plot to the position of these brighter of Uranus moons. I think Stellarium may, not sure though.
Thanks Alexander, just what i've been looking for
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Thanks Alex, very helpful that!