Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Old Age Weakens Doubt and Cynicism.

I was reading an article about internet scammers at,
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-2...alians/5986076

I found this section extremely interesting.
"There was a study done by the University of Iowa in the neuroscience department, and they found there's a part of the brain in the frontal cortex that is responsible for cynicism and doubt.

"In all of us over the age of 60 this part of the brain deteriorates, obviously in different people at different rates, and they had a control group where some people were more advanced in their deterioration than others.

"They found that those with advanced deterioration in this part of the brain were twice as likely to fall for a scam or fraud than the others.
"What it implied is we lose our cognitive ability to discern what is fraudulent and what is not, and some in the control test still wanted to buy the product even after they were told it is fraud."

Which would certainly help explain how some people seem to do things that seem outright silly
(the last incomprehensible example I saw was that of a woman who took out a big loan on her house to help the guy she fell in love with from overseas on the net, and she subsequently lost her house).

Cheers,
Renato
Old 29-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Kunama

I find it hard to believe that their results are provable, maybe they are just trying to justify their funding. Then again it could be true...........

On a serious note, I think this is probably very close to the mark, I know someone who was very smart with his money all his life and then at age 60, after the loss of his wife, fell victim to such a scam. Totally out of character for him and nothing his friends said made a scrap of difference. House and retirement assets gone in a year !!! Very sad.
Old 29-12-2014, 01:28 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I think that there are suckers in every age group. That said, some older generations may get confused with technology and taken for a ride. But scams and con men have been around for a long time. They don't change much. Using common sense prevails. Your brain is like everything else. Age is just a number. If you start thinking you're too old for this or that then you might as well give up and get stuck in a rot and become senile. Stay healthy, exercise your body and your brain, find a hobby, get out, interact and meet people. The older you get the smarter and the sharper you get. Because you have a lot more fly time under your belt and you have learnt to deal with many situations, both emotionally and practically. That's my take on getting older until I kick the bucket.
Old 29-12-2014, 01:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think I have gone the other way.
I am so very sceptical.
Of everything and everyone.
Law and real estate careers will do that for you.
Old 29-12-2014, 02:03 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Oh, so I might believe in the magic of Christmas again one day?
Old 29-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I think I have gone the other way.
I am so very sceptical.
Of everything and everyone.
Law and real estate careers will do that for you.
That's reassuring.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 29-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

I think there is some credibility in what Renato has presented.
I have a friend who believes a 19 yr old woman is in love with him. She is in a third world country and is always asking for money.

I have tried to talk to him. Will not heed my advice. This friend was and still is a clever man but he has become a religious follower and I feel is also a scam victim.

In the nearly 20 yrs I've known him I have seen changes in him. He is now 68yrs old.

That is not an isolated case. My job exposes me to many people. I soon evaluate what they are like. Several people over 60, 65, do seem to be more trusting. Not all just some. That is not to say that all young ones are discerning. Some in the younger age group are overly trusting as well.

Oh by the way, is anyone interested in a great investment proposition? I have a bridge to sell. You will make big bucks collecting toll.

Cheers
Old 29-12-2014, 08:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I was introduced to a fella, wanted me to look over a pile of paper work relating to getting millions of dollars out of a certain country in Africa.
They wanted him to send a mere ten grand for lawyers fees but then he would collect millions...no matter how I pointed out it was a scam all he could say was..but I will get back millions.
He was 35 ran a good business ...how can people be so silly.

Last edited by xelasnave; 30-12-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 29-12-2014, 08:57 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I think thats the greed over need kicking in Alex, many are guilty of it .
That Madoff guy in the states had investers falling over themselves to give him there money , yet many fund managers and investment brokers were for a long time sceptical of his returns and with the well heeled barking and howling at every turn if that was every questioned things just rolled along .
Old 29-12-2014, 09:05 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

On affairs of the heart If someones head over heals in love age aaint no barrier imo I know of a young guy who has been supporting a former prostitute OS and hes exactly the same ,his friends have even spotted her and showed him shes still turning tricks while bleeding him for a few k a month, hes barred them all of course .
Old 29-12-2014, 09:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Ah yes and old Burnie is not Robinson C.
I have seen many scams and helped people avoiding getting caught.
Many business sales...they come to you all excited and I would have to bust their
bubble...do you realise you will have to sell a thousand cups of.coffee a day just to pay the rent....mmm...what do you mean the books don't show all the cash flow...what proof the owner takes a grand profit a day....jm..greed
Old 29-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

It would appear from your replies and examples that the two main motivations behind the scams are
a. Greed, and
b. A dire need for love.

The dire need for love arises from popular culture that is constantly bombarding through movies, TV, radio and books the nonsense that "You need love". When arguing this, I am often told the myth that babies die without love.

I suspect that greed - a reasonably useful trait for someone not wanting to be poor - gets negative when someone has problems with feelings of worthlessness.
Regards,
Renato
Old 30-12-2014, 10:53 AM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

I feel that, like Xelasnave, I am far more skeptical now than in the past.
Old 30-12-2014, 01:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Think of the tests.
They would not get sceptical people to even participate..thereby providing a bias to non sceptical people.
One would think sceptical may keep you alive longer
Old 30-12-2014, 02:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad View Post
I have a friend who believes a 19 yr old woman is in love with him.
Well... that is anything else but love.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Hi Marc,

Unfortunately he wont listen to reason. He is married as well. I spoke with my son about it. My son has an hons psychology. He is a pilot but I often talk with him about issues. He was not able to come up with a comfortable solution.

I think I'll just let it ride itself out. "Tough times do not go on forever. Tough people do"

Cheers
Old 31-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad View Post
Hi Marc,

Unfortunately he wont listen to reason. He is married as well. I spoke with my son about it. My son has an hons psychology. He is a pilot but I often talk with him about issues. He was not able to come up with a comfortable solution.

I think I'll just let it ride itself out. "Tough times do not go on forever. Tough people do"

Cheers
Yes, as a friend you have done all that needs to be done for that person. People are entitled to behave in foolish and destructive ways if they so choose.
Other people's problems are not your own.
Regards,
Renato
Old 31-12-2014, 01:00 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

A few years ago I knew two people whose age difference was about the same as the people mentioned in this thread, and he too was convinced that she liked him. Needless to say, it didn't end up well and I have been told that they have now been fighting for quite a while and she eventually reported him to the police for harassment, although he claims that she had been using him. They are still fighting... And yes, he was married too. And she was from a poor country too and asking for money too (according to what he says at least). He was completely delusional about her, had fantasies etc. She was a minor back then!
Old 31-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Rob_K

You guys are far too cynical. And I'll prove it as soon as I've completed the rescue of that impoverished 20-yo Russian girl. Very sad, she's so poor she can only afford skimpy clothes. Just waiting for the inheritance to come through from the African lawyers...

Cheers -
Old 31-12-2014, 02:15 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
that impoverished 20-yo Russian girl. Very sad, she's so poor she can only afford skimpy clothes.
Cheers -
Skimpy clothes in Russia! Wow, she must be really very poor!