Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2009, 03:37 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I've no problem with any of what you said Rod.
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Old 14-11-2009, 03:43 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Please people, we have already had one thread closed because of the way this is starting to turn. Enough!

Look at this book for what it is. A collection of works from IIs'ers good and bad (I definately class myself amongst the later).

Maybe not everyone can contribute but we can all enjoy. Lets do so.

BTW, got mine today. Chris, Mike et al, you should be proud for what you have achieved here, the book and everyones efforts look amazing!!
Old 14-11-2009, 03:49 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Perhaps we could consider a montage of members with their gear as end-plates for next years addition.

Greg.

I still haven't had the opportunity to get to town for the mail, but would like to thank everybody involved.

"There is unity in community"
Old 14-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
I've no problem with any of what you said Rod.
Constructive criticism is always welcome.
….and me?
Old 14-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeH View Post
Maybe not everyone can contribute but we can all enjoy. Lets do so.!
Can we?
Old 14-11-2009, 04:00 PM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
As Iceinspace is a shared community of all of us who are interested in astronomy, not just imagers, it seems strange to me that there would be such a defensive response to the suggestion that we consider expanding upon the great achievement of the Compendium to produce something next year that can accommodate contributions from visual observers as well. I want to be involved too, beyond my contribution this year which was limited to writing the copyright statement!

I have no gripe that the Compendium was intended as a coffee table book by those who conceived and executed it this year. I fail to see how that origin should bind the IIS community when considering what it might produce next year.

If those interested in imaging want to take the same approach next year, and produce a volume which is a compilation of images only, it is important that those people understand that this has the effect of excluding those of us who do not image. I am not saying there was such an agenda this year, far from it.

Making suggestions about developing concepts is a healthy part of being a growing functioning community. Let's try to listen to each other rather than defend our own beachheads.
Come on guys I am not an Imager I am just an enthusiast who just stuck his camera into the small end of my scope and snapped some shots and was thrilled that the results were included it something so great. It seems to me that if imagers started the idea then great but I don't see it as an US and Them situation. IIS members did the hard work to put this thing together and print it. Why don't the people causing all this discussion get together and do the work and produce an astronomer's Diary for each year instead of trying to make everything that someone does into a slight against one group over another and even though I am hopeless at putting any thoughts together on what I can see when I am observing I for one would be thrilled to see what you can all come up with and would not feel left out.
Old 14-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Dragonrose (Marg)
Dragonrose

Hi all.... my first solo posting, altho' I've been keeping up with IIS for the last couple of years via my better half who kept telling me I should join up instead of reading his stuff! Congratulations on your publication. Being a new member, and also a Box Brownie Chic, I hope you'll continue to give opportunities for rookies like myself next year. We're not all Isaac Newtons with a Nikon, but we do all share a common passion for astronomy and that's what's important guys.
Old 14-11-2009, 04:21 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

This thread is not for the discussion of next years compendium. I'm sure there'll be another opportunity (with cooler heads) to discuss next years compendium.

What the compendium was never intended to be, was an almanac, an ephemeris etc. There's already a very good publication called "Astronomy 2010 Yearbook" with enough ephemera that anyone could ever want.

It was also never (and will never) be a competition. All images will always be accepted.

Marg!
Old 14-11-2009, 04:32 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi there Marg!
Old 14-11-2009, 04:36 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post
….and me?
It's all good.
Old 14-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
What the compendium was never intended to be, was an almanac, an ephemeris etc. There's already a very good publication called "Astronomy 2010 Yearbook" with enough ephemera that anyone could ever want.!
Mike,
I just want to importantly clarify one thing here.
I don't think anyone is talking specifically about ephemerides here. What is being said is towards "non-imagers" contributing to the publication in some ways. I.e. Graphics (maps or charts) or perhaps associated technical astronomical information about the object being imaged.

Pretty images taken by all the brilliant imagers / photographers is very much appreciated, but what information that is in the photographs could be very useful. My, and a number of other experienced observers here, might be very useful.

As to why I didn't purchase a copy has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof, but is more to do with cash-flow - if you get my drift - that includes the "Astronomy 2010 Yearbook."
Old 14-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1965 View Post
Why don't the people causing all this discussion get together and do the work and produce an astronomer's Diary for each year..
Your point is quite valid. Such a Diary could be easily made and published in pdf form, and shared for all to see. It could be so easily published in the "Projects & Articles Form." I'd also be very happy to contribute to a 2010 "Diary"… might even start it now...
Old 14-11-2009, 06:15 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Good on you, go for it I say.
Old 14-11-2009, 06:20 PM
rogerg (Roger)

gez, didn't realise this has blown up.

It's a great book of pics by people we know, I thought it was that simple If someone wants something more/different they should make it themselves rather than tell others how to do it. Unbelievable
Old 14-11-2009, 10:55 PM
hendo (Steve)

I received my copy yesterday and am very impressed! Kudos to all those who contributed to it's production and content!
Old 15-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Good on you, go for it I say.
In case your not taking me seriously, see the DRAFT example in the Ice In Space new thread….

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=52936

Much else could be added to it and improved...
Old 15-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
If someone wants something more/different they should make it themselves rather than tell others how to do it
Perhaps your right.

How about an next time instead we do an electronic Compendium 2010 ???
Old 15-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Electronic compendium would suck, so hard.

There's one thing looking at images on screen, but, seeing your work in print -- the final artifact -- there's nothing like it.

As far as ephemera, observing reports, almanac-like information bodes well for screen.
Old 15-11-2009, 12:38 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post
Perhaps your right.

How about an next time instead we do an electronic Compendium 2010 ???
I think it's great how it is, next time do it the same (in print)
Old 15-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Electronic compendium would suck, so hard.

There's one thing looking at images on screen, but, seeing your work in print -- the final artifact -- there's nothing like it.

As far as ephemera, observing reports, almanac-like information bodes well for screen.
Pity I'm not an imager / photographer, and unable to do anything about it.

In the end, having a physical copy of your work and hold it in your own hands is certainly a great feeling and something to be proud of…

I do think, and I'll say it again, it is a sterling job by Chris (Omaroo) to have gone to all to go to the trouble and put it altogether. It also bodes well for the imagers that contributed so wonderfully so others may enjoy their works.

Really, everything all fine.

Just a little bit peeved with the attitude by others …