Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

"Good things come to those who wait"

So says someone who has had his two copies for over a day now!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Waiting, waiting, waiting!!The suspence is killing me. Only one postal day this week. Pleease let it be tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I feel for you Wade, I really do.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Got mine yesterday and have to say it looks fantastic!! I may have made a mistake with my image sending the wrong copy at 72dpi instead of the 300dpi, but overall all the images look incredible and the whole finished product was better than i expected.
Excellent work Chris and Mike. Can't wait for the next one.

Cheers Daniel.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy i got mine today

The nice postie left it on my doorstep

The book is amazing guys i looooveee it

Thanks to all of you, and the amazing work that was put into it to make it so beautiful.
I cant wait to show it off to all my family & friends

Cant wait to see what the next book will be like now i really wanna get into taking some more pics i dont wanna miss out on not being a part of it

Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Still nothing here for me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
And still nothing for me either. Finding out someone else doesn't have theirs either makes it a bit easier but you've still got to wonder whats happening. I did wonder if the posties had nicked them for themselves because they were such good books....
Same same
Old 13-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Petra, Daniel & Jen - Cheers. Glad you like it.

Hopefully the posties will deliver the stragglers today.
Old 13-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Geez - I just had a message from John Bozeman (Dr Benway on IIS) from the USA that his copy has arrived there already. Incredible!
Old 13-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Quantum629 (Will)
Learning the ways.

Wow! My second copy just arrived and I only ordered it Tuesday night! What speed! (Sorry to those who haven't got it yet...)

Thanks again.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:16 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

You were lucky, Will

I was sending out the last remaining batch of 13 or so yesterday arvo, and I saw your payment came through yesterday so I included yours in it.

They were put in the red post box yesterday arvo, so to receive it today, that's pretty cool.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:34 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Woohoo!
Got my copy today
Myself and 3 other staff flicked thru it on and off for a couple of hours, even a couple of customers had a look.
Looking forward to next years effort!

Thanks again Chris and Mike, and also to every contributor... excellent stuff!
Old 13-11-2009, 10:55 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Got my two copies today

Quite damaged unfortunately Several creases through all pages and some damage to the spine. Doesn't surprise me for not having cardboard all the way around them - I've had worse damage done by our posties

But good to have them all the same, just now need to sit down at look though it all
Old 13-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Mine arrived today too. I'm going to enjoy looking through this at leisure, and hopefully learn a few new things. Noticed a couple of ink/print errors but they don't detract too much from the overall quality.

Well done, everyone!
Old 14-11-2009, 09:16 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Mine arrived this week. Thankfully the postie left it on the door step rather than trying to jam it into the letterbox.

I'm really impressed with how it turned out. Thanks Chris for all the effort that you put into this project.

Peter
Old 14-11-2009, 10:49 AM
sjastro

Ignoring the negative comments from that other thread...

Congratulations Chris on a fine production and to all those who have had their images featured.

Steven
Old 14-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Exclamation I disagree with this negative comment, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjastro View Post
Ignoring the negative comments from that other thread...
Sorry mate, I totally disagree with you.

I think some of the negative comments in that closed thread might be useful towards the next 2010 one - if there is a next one.

It sound like there needs to be more contributions to the next one. For example, an expanded written text on the objects imaged with even associated visual observations and perhaps how to find it visually. Another useful idea would be small insert maps of the region the objects are placed aka. like South African Vandenberg - Blank of the 1980s.

Might give us non-imagers something to contribute instead of feeling rather excluded from commenting or add to the discusssion...
Old 14-11-2009, 02:52 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post
Sorry mate, I totally disagree with you.

I think some of the negative comments in that closed thread might be useful towards the next 2010 one - if there is a next one.

It sound like there needs to be more contributions to the next one. For example, an expanded written text on the objects imaged with even associated visual observations and perhaps how to find it visually. Another useful idea would be small insert maps of the region the objects are placed aka. like South African Vandenberg - Blank of the 1980s.

Might give us non-imagers something to contribute instead of feeling rather excluded from commenting or add to the discusssion...
Unless you have not been reading this and the other threads very carefully - the intent of this COFFEE TABLE BOOK was to showcase the images from contributors from IIS forum members. it was never to be a book of the type you are pushing for and that was stated very early in the development of it.
Old 14-11-2009, 03:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

We didn't want to go into competition with Astronomy 2009 nor Sky and Tel.
Old 14-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Unless you have not been reading this and the other threads very carefully - the intent of this COFFEE TABLE BOOK was to showcase the images from contributors from IIS forum members. it was never to be a book of the type you are pushing for and that was stated very early in the development of it.
Yes I have been reading the other threads very carefully.

As for suggesting "pushing for", sorry I am not pushing for anything. I'm stating my opinion.

Really. In the end, I am getting the uneasy feeling of exclusion - either because I am not an imager, I did not contribute (even though I offered), so that any comment made by me is not appreciated.

By putting people down is certainly one way of achieving that…
Old 14-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

As Iceinspace is a shared community of all of us who are interested in astronomy, not just imagers, it seems strange to me that there would be such a defensive response to the suggestion that we consider expanding upon the great achievement of the Compendium to produce something next year that can accommodate contributions from visual observers as well. I want to be involved too, beyond my contribution this year which was limited to writing the copyright statement!

I have no gripe that the Compendium was intended as a coffee table book by those who conceived and executed it this year. I fail to see how that origin should bind the IIS community when considering what it might produce next year.

If those interested in imaging want to take the same approach next year, and produce a volume which is a compilation of images only, it is important that those people understand that this has the effect of excluding those of us who do not image. I am not saying there was such an agenda this year, far from it.

Making suggestions about developing concepts is a healthy part of being a growing functioning community. Let's try to listen to each other rather than defend our own beachheads.