Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-07-2016, 04:49 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Colour versus monochrome for solar/ lunar imaging

I have a Zwo asi120MC that I bought late last year and have been using it to image the sun in H alpha and the moon. Would I get any great advantage using a similar monochrome camera as these objects shimmer so much that I suspect the increased resolution of the monochrome camera would not be so apparent. I have an Orion starshoot autoguider pro monochrome camera that I have also used on the sun but thiink the ZWO colour camera gets better images at the same resolution. What do you suggest would be the best direction to go.
Regards philip
Old 30-07-2016, 08:57 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I have a QHY 5Lii-c that I've used for doing solar images. I know someone who has a very similar setup to me, but they are using the mono version of the camera. Their images are definitely better and I've been able to rule out processing as the difference.

I intend switching to mono for solar imaging sometime.
Old 30-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

5ash,
The OSC camera imaging in solar Ha, due to the Bayer Matrix will only effectively record on two out of every four pixels.
The reduction in resolution is usually quoted at 60-70% of that which can be achieved with a similar mono camera.
The current mono fast frame, multi stacked wavelet processed imaging systems yield the best results.