Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2018, 07:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Orion mega stack 8 inch

I had two sets of captures about 1.5 hours each but one set was not well framed so I did not bother with them, however today looking for things to practice on I decided to stack the lot and crop and settle for whatever was left.

Details 8 inch f5 zwo 1600 cooled camera, HEQ5 mount unguided 35 second exposures but I forgot to note how many finally stacked but probably 2.5 hours. Used Deep Sky Stacker, Star Tools, Photo Shop and Gimp.

I tried to be colour wise using my phone app to figure out if I was working with blue or pink ...that's right I cant tell the difference and tried to back it off but this is what I produced today.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (megastk.jpg)
171.4 KB93 views
Old 16-12-2018, 07:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Damn it looks so much more saturated after I down load.
alex
Old 16-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Excellent result Alex !!
So that’s about 300 odd frames @35 sec unguided with a cooled camera
Can’t wait to buy my new 8” f5 newt early next year with the bigger EQ6R mount
I’m still using a DSLR so I have contend with all that noise but I think the 8” will perform well based on your images
Well done
Cheers
Martin
Old 16-12-2018, 11:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin.

For the money they are great.

As to noise I found short exposures and a not so good polar alignment (auto dithering) worked a treat.
If someone who knew what they were doing my image would come out much better...good luck with it...look forward to seeing how you go...one thing..I think just a one shot colour could get great results...I am finding I get some luminance, maybe some red and ha and dont get more...maybe a cooled one shot colour is a good solution.
Anyways one day I will get all the captures I need...do you know I think you need maybe 28 groups of photos...r,b,g,ha,o11,s12, luminance, darks, flats, darks for the flats...maybe not 28 but a lot.

And to think 12 months ago I am saying oh I want to keep it simple just some pretty photos☺
Anyways I am so happy even if I still have not used this new camera to its potential...still so muchvto sort out.

Alex
Old 17-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Gavin1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
one thing..I think just a one shot colour could get great results..
I’m using a one shot colour ASI071MC cooled camera Alex and for the past Month or so I’ve been considering buying 1600mm cooled. Mainly because I’ve noticed how much more detail your picking up compared to mine.
Old 17-12-2018, 07:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin1234 View Post
I’m using a one shot colour ASI071MC cooled camera Alex and for the past Month or so I’ve been considering buying 1600mm cooled. Mainly because I’ve noticed how much more detail your picking up compared to mine.
Thats interesting Gavin.
I must say getting HA with short exposures has surprised me...
One day it will all come together mount wise but this short capture approach seems to work in practice...sortta poor man's adaptive optics.
Alex