Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-08-2014, 10:48 AM
matt34 (Matt)

Long Weekend in Tassie

A couple of weeks ago I spent 3 nights in Hobart as a "do-over" for the NZ trip last year, where my friend had to leave early.

Both of us were rusty, my friend more so than me as I don't think he touched his camera in the past year. We were lucky enough to have some clear skies, not lucky enough to have an aurora activity however on the 2nd night there was some air glow.

The 3rd night while clear enough to go out we managed to fine a whiskey bar and thought it was a good opportunity to rest from our young families instead of going out with the camera. I think freezing on top of mt wellington until 4am the previous night also made it difficult to leave the warm of the whiskey bar.

I have a heap more shots to look at and edit here are a couple from the weekend to start things off.

1- single frame from up on mount wellington, there was a bit of air glow around that night and low cloud forming on the horizon, everywhere was icy and slick which made walking around difficult.
2 - A pano from early in night 2, when there was the potential for an aurora we had tried to scout a few places south, found this nice little inlet. There was a point when we first got there and there was light playing on the clouds I thought we might have an aurora display, turned out to be the bruny island lighthouse
3 - A quick pano from the first night, one of the only usable shots from the night. Shows the need for day time scouting as we found it difficult to navigate in the dark, the potential aurora activity was the only reason we made the trip out this first night so we were unprepared.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to edit some more in the near future. Or hopefully I dont coz there are clear nights and I'm out amongst it instead
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_MG_4817-PS-IIS.jpg)
194.1 KB99 views
Click for full-size image (_MG_4752_stitch-IIS.jpg)
183.2 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (_MG_4640_stitch-IIS.jpg)
147.9 KB72 views
Old 22-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Sumitra (Sumitra)

Wonderful - I love that tower and the reflection in the water! Mesmerising!
Old 22-08-2014, 08:12 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Beautiful work
Old 23-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Saturn%5 (Graeme)

Very nice nice Matt, Well done
Old 25-08-2014, 09:31 AM
matt34 (Matt)

Thanks Sumitra, Mike and Graeme