Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Mrs Nagy (Mandy)
12" Bintel Dob F/5

Help with 12" Dob

I have had my Dob since Nov last year but have only used it a few times as I am having alot of trouble finding the different objects in the night sky. It was brought for me as a present so I never got to get a run down on how it all works. Is there any one in the Healesville area that could help me, I have a telrad which I have never used because I am too afraid to stick it on and find out it is not where it should be.
Help!!!!!
Old 14-04-2009, 01:24 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Mandy

The good news is that you've asked the question! That's much better than selling it and giving up in frustration.

I'm sure there's some local members around you, but also it may be worth looking for an astronomical society near you. They have observing nights where you can go along and get advice, even take your telescope and get some pointers on how to use it and how to find objects - and even stick the telrad on for you!

I don't know the layout of Melbourne and surrounds but the ASV might be close by? Check the club listings page for a list of Victorian clubs.

Regarding the Telrad - it's much easier to do in the daytime. Just put in a wide-ish field eyepiece (32mm?) and point at an object in the distance (light pole, tree on a mountain) and stick the telrad base on in an easily accessible spot for you, and point it as accurately as you can so it's inline with the tube.

You then put the telrad on its base, and use the three screws at the back end of the telrad to adjust the circles to point at the same piece of pole or tree that your eyepiece (and finderscope) are looking at.

Hope that helps!
Old 14-04-2009, 01:26 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Oh and for finding objects, you really need a sky chart by the sounds of it - to know where to look (once you have your telrad sorted).

Again, visiting an astronomy society observing night will help you to learn where to look and where to point the scope to observe the familiar favourites like Orion, Eta Carinae, the planets etc.
Old 14-04-2009, 08:11 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Mandy, you have some IISers who aren't too far from you. Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of Melbourne, but if no-one local can help, I'll come by some time to help, if you wish. Eric
Old 15-04-2009, 07:19 AM
taminga16 (Greg)

Hi Mandy,
PM sent.
Greg.
Old 16-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Mrs Nagy (Mandy)
12" Bintel Dob F/5

Thank You

Thank you Eric & Iceman for your offer, someone local has offered to get me started which is fantastic.