Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-12-2014, 10:00 AM
malacome (Colin)

Question Hi from Frankston

Just joined iceinspace today. I'm a beginner to astronomy, although have spent many nights looking skyward with a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars. Last night I tried to find Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy). I think I did! Can anyone tell me if it would just be a fuzzy dot in my 10x50 binoc's?
Old 13-12-2014, 11:16 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Colin

Yes I think that it would, and with a distictly blueish tinge to it - I was looking at it last night also, but through a SW120 refractor. On imaging it it has a beautiful blue/green colur.

Paul
Old 13-12-2014, 11:40 AM
malacome (Colin)

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I can't distinguish colour in my binoc's, but will check again tonight to see if the fuzzy dot has moved relevant to surrounding stars.
Colin
Old 14-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Allan

Hi Colin. Get yourself to a dark site with your 10x50's and you will see an amazing amount of targets. I have seen all the Messier's with mine, and having used many types I reckon if anyone is going to have just one pair of binocs then the 10x50's are the way to go.

Well done on spotting comet Lovejoy.
Old 14-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Colin,
Don't forget, if you want to check out and use bigger telescopes, the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society (formerly Astronomical Society of Frankston) is just down the road in the Briars at Mt. Martha.
Regards,
Renato
Old 14-12-2014, 09:43 PM
malacome (Colin)

Hi Renato & Allan,
thanks for your replies. I have already been to MPAS a couple of times, but think it's probably time to join. I confirmed comet Lovejoy last night as the "fuzzy dot" had moved compared to the previous night. I failed to spot any Geminid's though . Did anyone catch any last night?

Colin
Old 14-12-2014, 11:07 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Welcome Colin, I hope you learn a lot here. I'm just going out the back to look for Lovejoy myself.
Old 15-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacome View Post
Hi Renato & Allan,
thanks for your replies. I have already been to MPAS a couple of times, but think it's probably time to join. I confirmed comet Lovejoy last night as the "fuzzy dot" had moved compared to the previous night. I failed to spot any Geminid's though . Did anyone catch any last night?

Colin
Can't say I've ever seen any meteor shower. The thought of going to a dark site and sitting around for hours at the best time period - around 2 am to 4 am - just to see some specks of dust hit the atmosphere, always seemed like a waste of valuable viewing (or sleeping) time to me.
Cheers,
Renato