Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-12-2014, 12:09 AM
ms (Michael)

Talking Off to Mudgee for three days!

Hey everybody I'm gonna be in Mudgee NSW for three days from Dec 26. It's a holiday excursion with several friends. I can't wait to visit the observatories and see the beautiful night sky which I've been missing for a long time since I live in Sydney.

Any travel advice guys? BTW I'll be carrying my Bushnell H2O binoculars and nat geo Dobsonian 76/350 telescope. I hope to view the dark night sky as best as I can therefore if you know any premium spot near Mudgee plz do let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Old 23-12-2014, 09:47 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Michael , don't know the place , but you have a great time .
Brian.
Old 23-12-2014, 10:43 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Michael

There is an observatory in Mudgee, out on the Hill End Road. John that owns the property and observatories is an amateur astronomer and has been for decades. He has some amazing gear there including a 16" dob that was used in the discovery of comet Lee a number of years ago.

John's knowledge is simply incredible and he is a top notch person to boot. I have been fortunate enough to have stayed on his property each year for the past few years just after Easter with the Sutherland Astronomical Society and the sky is just fantastic out there.

Enjoy the trip and see if you can't get out to John's for one of his night time tours.

Wayne
Old 28-12-2014, 10:24 PM
ms (Michael)

I'm finally back to Sydney. Very decent trip, although I missed the stargazing due to bad weather

Will be back again in the future