Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Bobj

Lots To Choose From.

G'day all, Bobj is the name, from Ball Bay, 50 km north of Mackay. Very interested in the astronomy thingy, but only ever owned a set of 10x50 binoculars.
My neighbour lent me his 4.5" newt (Dick Smith's)and, although disappointed with thedither and poor eyepieces, I'm impressed enough to see what is above.
My missus says "don't be daft" 'cos I'm not allowed out after dark
Many telescopes to choose from, so I narrowed it down to lots.......Well a few.
1. 10" Skywatcher Dob.
2. Skywatcher 2001PEQ5
3. Meade LXD75 6" with autostar,OR
4. 7 day fishing charter on MV Centurion out to the Hardline Reef.......

Being a retiree, and not too well in the strength area, which is the better one for me?
Oh, the pic....Ball Bay.
Cheers, Bobj.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (album_52_1043448991[1].jpg)
60.0 KB24 views
Old 16-03-2007, 12:48 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Bob.

Mmmmmm you look like you would have nice dark skies

If you have a flat area to work from and no steps to get in and out of the house/ storage area, I'd suggest a 10" dob and get a dob trolley to go with it. No lifting then
Old 16-03-2007, 12:56 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I don't know what a 2001PEQ5 is but anything with any sort of aperture on an EQ5 will be more difficult to lug around than the 10" Dob. (I have a 6" Mak on an EQ mount and the Dob is easier to move.) the meade lets you down in aperture also when comparing with the 10" Dob, which is a great scope and has got my vote.
Old 16-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Bobj

Oh, pooh....... I was hoping you'd say, "fish the Hardline"
Yes, the dob looks the better option, and it will save a bit on the pension... Then there is the question of eyepieces; can buy a few, but which? Am interested to see if those blokes on Andromeda and beyond, are waving to us, or.........
Old 16-03-2007, 01:04 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Welcome to the Forum Bob, the members here are a super bunch, anything you want to know, just ask away....even the silly questions
Old 16-03-2007, 01:52 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Bob,

The dob would get my vote. Easy to set up and can be moved in bits , if necessary, but if you put it on a trolley then there is no lifting.

BEFORE you buy anything get a long to a viewing night of the local astro society and have a look at the size and weight of these beasts. Maybe an 8" dob would be a great instrument for you..........

Keep looking up and push the General Manager for BOTH the fishing trip and scope, tell her you are saving money on the dob so there is now money for the extra eyepieces AND the fishing trip
Old 16-03-2007, 01:55 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

yeah the dob is the go, just get a trolley and you are off like a prawn in the sun

get a range of EP from say 30mm down to 6mm so you have varying magnifications... pricingof these depends on your budget

welcome aboard

...oh and by the way, the andromedian are not waving they are drowning...
Old 16-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Dujon
SKE

G'day, Bob,

Lugging some stuff around can be highly inconvenient, never mind the pain and doctor type visits when you finally do in your back.

I cannot comment on other 'scopes as I've not used or carried one, but my 10" Newtonian weighs a bit less than 20Kg (as does the Dobsonian mount I use). The mount is relatively easy to carry as it has a handle; it's not much different from toting a heavy suitcase. The main (OTA) bit is rather awkward as it's over a metre long and navigating through the house and avoiding banging the focussing assembly on door jambs, trying not to walk or kick the family pets and, at the same time, not swearing can be difficult.

Even after those remarks, given comments I have read on this site over the years, I reckon the 'Dob' is the way to go.

Then again the fishing trip sounds rather attractive . . .
Old 16-03-2007, 02:27 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj View Post
Oh, pooh....... I was hoping you'd say, "fish the Hardline"
try asking your question on a fishing forum...
Old 16-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Bobj

I'm in the process of reading up on the various eyepieces..........and thinking up an excuse to beg....er....ask the boss for the 10" dob.
Many thanks for your input, you blokes. Much appreciated.
Oh, and I might still get a fishing trip.
Very odd; now that the decision has been made, the other 'scopes don't seem to be of importance any more.
Old 16-03-2007, 03:07 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Bob, glad to have you here.
Old 16-03-2007, 04:10 PM
astro_nutt

Welcome to the forums Bob..and yes..go for the dob!!
Cheers!
Old 16-03-2007, 08:07 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Bob, greetings from the far south.
Old 16-03-2007, 08:09 PM
astro_nutt

Oh!..belated birthday wishes to you Phil!....
Old 17-03-2007, 09:14 AM
styleman333

Welcome Bob

You'll love the site , so much help available for us newbies .
And a big yes for the Dob
Old 17-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Dujon
SKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj View Post
I'm in the process of reading up on the various eyepieces..........and thinking up an excuse to beg....er....ask the boss for the 10" dob.
Bob, if you are new to telescopes of the size you have chosen I'd recommend that you take the eyepieces offered with the 'scope you buy. These days most of them are quite acceptable and to fork out the necessary extra dosh to purchase premium units prior to checking out the capabilities of the basic unit could lead to disappointment.

Learn about your 'scope before you spend any money over and above the basics. If you insist on spending more then buy a collimating instrument, a sky chart and/or a red illumination light of some description.

Whatever you do don't expect miracles. Whatever you do or spend you are not going to see the incredible images that are posted here and elsewhere in glorious colour, most of which will be captured over minutes or hours (even with the latest imaging equipment).

I don't think you will be disappointed with a 10". There are many here who will help out with the inevitable questions.

Good luck.
Old 17-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Bobj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujon View Post
Bob, if you are new to telescopes of the size you have chosen I'd recommend that you take the eyepieces offered with the 'scope you buy. These days most of them are quite acceptable and to fork out the necessary extra dosh to purchase premium units prior to checking out the capabilities of the basic unit could lead to disappointment.

If you insist on spending more then buy a collimating instrument, a sky chart and/or a red illumination light of some description.

Whatever you do don't expect miracles.

I don't think you will be disappointed with a 10". There are many here who will help out with the inevitable questions.

Good luck.
Mate, many thanks for the very sound info. I bow to any good advice. Had thought of getting one of those telrads.
Will also look at getting a sky chart, got a couple of red illuminating lights.
Old 17-03-2007, 03:35 PM
kevy02 (Kevin)

Greetings and welcome Bob, love the Mackay area,we had some land on Keswick Island,hoped to move there but didn't work out.Hope your new hobby brings you lots of enjoyment.The hardest part is to get the other half to join in.
Kevin.
Old 18-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Dujon
SKE

I cannot comment on the Telrad finders, Bob, as I've never seen one (apart from in advertisements) never mind used one. Many people rave about them so I assume they are 'the ant's pants'.

Perhaps someone who has experience with them on a Newt/Dob system might care to comment?
Old 19-03-2007, 09:43 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Bob,

If you are getting a 10" dob the only accessories you WILL NEED are a red torch, planisphere, Cheshire eyepiece for collimation, observing chair (or you will get dobber's back), moon filter (variable polarising), basic sky chart and moon guide. A Telrad is worth its weight in gold but not essential, I don't have a finder scope on my scope as I only use the Telrad.

Like Jon said, use what is supplied and get to know your scope and observing style or you will end up with lots of expensive paper weights