Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
Was using Time Machine and had backed up 100 days ago but not recent!
As a matter of detail, apparently trying to access the time machine old back ups from another machine will basically wipe the stuff old the old machine and replace it with the new data. I asked at the Mac shop as I have an old iMac but this has got me concerned about losing that data as well ..and so it goes..
On recent releases there is a tool in Applications -> Utilities called "Migration Assistant". If you run that with the time machine disk connected, there is an option to restore data, applications and configuration from a time machine backup. This is non-destructive to the time machine disk. The same functionality is available during a fresh install btw. I've used this a number of times when upgrading machines and it does what it says on the tin.

If you try to use the existing time machine disk on a different machine, the existing data won't get overwritten, the new machine just creates a new backup hierarchy under the new machine name. So long as you don't format the disk of course
Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

hard drive ? died

Hi Dunk, I have an issue that the old iMac doesn't have enough room on the HDD (its quite old) for a full migration of data from the external HDD back up. Can I migrate the Time Machine data onto another external HD and then access from the iMac? (I don't think my imac is upgradable it's too old) i.e plu another empty HD into the old imac, then plug the back up disck in as well and transfer directly onto the new empty Hd?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Sorry this is just an answer rather than a good solution but...

You can migrate data somewhat piecemeal...but the granularity only extends down to the top level directories in the user's home directory, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc..so you could restore "Documents" and nothing else, and move it to the external disk. You could repeat this tedious process until you had it all back and where you want it. Ideally, your data is distributed evenly between these directories and or multiple user accounts, but in practice it rarely is. Most of the GB tend to lurk in Music or such

ICBW but I think you can only restore to the current system disk. Of course, you could plug in a blank external disk and do a fresh install of the OS onto that, and rename the external disk to the volume name that would be in the backup. This is usually Macintosh HD if you never changed it. The internal disk can be renamed without consequence to something else. Then you could run the migration assistant and restore everything in one gulp.

I'm sure there is probably a better way of doing it, as the above is a bit of a faff, but it should at least get you back a working copy of Mac and your data.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Weird, my HDD on my tower died yesterday.
Froze it and sucked the info off it.
Old XP tower now consigned to bin