Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-10-2011, 05:51 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Howdy ! Well I guess this has been an issue with others before so hope someone can help me get it right the 1st time,
Sorry, but am getting a little annoyed with having to Log In every 15-20 mins, I am dealing with it my own way at the moment, and that is by Copying any posts Ive typed because by the time I want to post it, I've been Logged out ?
I then Log back in, Paste in my Typing and Post the dam thing before I'm Zapped away again, Lol . .

Hope someone can help direct me ?

Appreciation in advance ! !
Old 30-10-2011, 06:09 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

I'd guess you have a too-strict policy set for your cookies, but I'll look with interest for a reply from those who know how it really works

Cheers
Old 30-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Howdy ! Well I guess this has been an issue with others before so hope someone can help me get it right the 1st time,
Sorry, but am getting a little annoyed with having to Log In every 15-20 mins, I am dealing with it my own way at the moment, and that is by Copying any posts Ive typed because by the time I want to post it, I've been Logged out ?
I then Log back in, Paste in my Typing and Post the dam thing before I'm Zapped away again, Lol . .

Hope someone can help direct me ?

Appreciation in advance ! !
If I recall correctly (and I may be totally wrong) but you shouldn't have to copy and Paste after timming out. If you follow the prompt to Log In again it should take you back to your last screen so you can complete your message. Give it a go next time.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:36 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx Geoff ! I havent changed any cooky settings or the like, Maybe the default something is conflicting ? I not know much with these capers ? Lol.

Cheers
Old 30-10-2011, 06:42 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Ahhh OK Thanx Hans, I'll give it a try, maybe I didnt notice the type window was still there by not scrolling down,

Still should be an easier way ? Appreciate your advice and will keep it in mind as its better than my plan, Lol . .
Old 30-10-2011, 06:53 PM
AndyK (Andy)
VK2AAK

Just wondering what sort of computer ... PC or Mac?
What browser ... Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox?

My suggestion would be to log out from IIS, clear the cookies then log back in, clicking the "Remember Me" option.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:13 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

1. Make sure you tick Remember Me.
2. Try another browser and see if it happens on another browser

Usually it's #1, or your firewall or something that's deleting the cookie - causing the problem.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Yep...just discovered the 'Remember Me' box in the Log In and it keeps you Logged In...but I notice you have to check this box on every Log In.

But I was wrong...Logging In again after timming out will post your message as is when your Log In timmed out....but I guess you can go into edit and complete the message....
Old 30-10-2011, 07:58 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

You shouldn't need to log out.

When you close the browser etc, next time you open IIS you should be logged in. If it's still asking you to login, it's a similar problem - your virus scanner or something is deleting the cookies.

Try adding *.iceinspace.com.au to your "white list" or "safe sites list".
Old 30-10-2011, 08:02 PM
AndyK (Andy)
VK2AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
... but I notice you have to check this box on every Log In ...
I don't need to do that ... unless I deliberately log out.
I use a number of separate devices ... a big laptop, a little netbook and an iPad. I checked "Remember Me" on all of them and it's very rare I need to re-log into IIS. I can come back here a day later and basically just carry on from where I left off.
Old 31-10-2011, 08:42 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
I don't need to do that ... unless I deliberately log out.
I use a number of separate devices ... a big laptop, a little netbook and an iPad. I checked "Remember Me" on all of them and it's very rare I need to re-log into IIS. I can come back here a day later and basically just carry on from where I left off.
Ditto here, automatic login from work or home from several PCs and stays logged in. What browser are you using ?
Old 31-10-2011, 11:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Just to add another possibility to think of.

I moderate and am an admin on another forum and at one time we were having problems with spambot attacks. Basically they were trying to harvest user accounts to spam with.

The attack (And it was apparently pretty common world wide at the time) was a brute force attack which would try to log in under user names harvested off the forum as a guest using random passwords. After a number of failed log in attaempts a lot of forum software will then automatically log out that user from all sessions so the real user finds themselves logged out.

The only symptom to the users was constant log outs, every time you went to post you found that you had been logged out again, it was down to a couple of minutes (Small forum so the same users copped it over and over) The only other sign was buckets of log in attempts in the admin logs from a group of IP addresses. If they managed a log in, who knows what they would have doen from there, we never found any accounts that had actually been compromised as a result of it.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx so much for all the feedback everyone ! Been busy Storm chasing and Lightning photo's from Sunday : )
My PC is an Acer M3800, all Stock, Running Vista with Explorer, ! twice a week Virus Scans, with only one Trogen Horse safely in the Vault from 6 months ago ? Fortnightly defrag and C cleans and Full Updates once a month !

After reading all your kind responses, Ive come to the conclusion to the Possible remedy of simply trying the 'Remember Me' box? which I have just done ! I dont usually check this box weather it be Mail, other Forums Etc as I like to remember all my Log ins in my head incase using any freinds Puuta's so can access them ?
I do always have a pop up window after logging Off with ISS which says 'All cooky's have been cleared' I assume this could be from Not checking this Box ?
Thanx again and I'll see how this goes, Need to mow the Lawn, so will see what happens , Lol ?

Cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Well, there you Go : ) After checking the box - I'm still here, Lol.

Now, Rather than Logging Off, i will just close the site and see what results when I open again later today ?

Thanks all for the help again !

Rgrds.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Yep, all good, Thought to confirm for others ? My PC was shutdown for the arvo, just back in now and fired it up, open IE - Opened IIS and am already Logged in !

Sometimes the simplist things can be overlooked, as in this case, Lol

Cheers ! ! !