Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-10-2011, 02:02 PM
the.odd.byte (Trevor)

Yet Another New Member Intro

Hi,

I've been interested in astronomy - but done very little - ever since I was a kid. I've pretty much always had a telescope and occasionally get out with family & friends for a "night with the stars".

Back in the '90's I ran a very basic but amazingly popular "Introduction to Astronomy" course through a local Adult Education College. Really basic stuff like the difference between stars & planets, and plenty of time with small telescopes & binoculars & a planisphere. I've recently been asked to revisit this course, and have upgraded to a 10" Dobsonian. To be quite honest, I don't feel qualified to call myself an amateur astronomer, but there seems no-one else around here - and I guess I have enough understanding of the science to at least get people started.

I'd like to go further, but there is not an Astronomical Society near here (North of Grafton NSW, and South of Brisbane Qld.) so I'm hoping to find other people in this area with an astronomical interest.

Another thing I'd like to get happening here is a Star Party, but again, that means finding more interested people around here. If you live in the Northern Rivers of NSW I'd love to hear from you!

OK - thats enough to get started, now to go browse some threads!

Trevor
Old 26-10-2011, 02:10 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Trevor

to IceInSpace!

There's actually quite a few members up near you, and they already have some organised sessions over new moon.

Have a read through this thread:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=80736
Old 26-10-2011, 02:21 PM
the.odd.byte (Trevor)

Thanks Mike - I'll give that a try!