Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Hebus (Monge Olivier)

Questions about Tucana and Pavo

Hi !
First, let me apologize for my bad English, i'mfrench, and yea, i'm against nuclear tests, specialy if not in our own area ^^

I am the founder of a videogames fansite, Myepsilon Daily News, we are specialized in Mystery hunt, and here one of the enigmas we are working on :

http://epsilonproject.freeforums.org...ile.php?id=393

Constellations, south constellations, Tucana and Pavo, linked by a dotted lines triangle...

Here a clean picture of it:
https://sites.google.com/site/progra...ack/Image3.jpg

We can see TUC for Toucan, PA for Pavo, and IND for Indus
But on the pic we only see Tucana and Pavo...
But a special shape of Pavo, that i never see elsewhere but on the picture i've gived...
Look at the different shapes of Pavo :

Left is ok, but right is always different.
http://epsilonproject.freeforums.org...ile.php?id=397

So, us in North Hemisphere, don't know a lot about South constellations,
And i would like some help from people who use to look at them.
You ^^

Would you like to help by answering a few questions?

1: Do you know what culture, who see Pavo as it is on my picture?
2: At what time, and from where in south, do you see Tucana and Pavo, with this shape ?
There is a "30" on the picture, 30° ?
3: The dotted lines triangle, why is this for?
4: Have you already see this picture elsewhere ? (book, website, toilets doors^^, etc)

Thanks for answering a Newton's spiral victim :O))
Old 20-10-2011, 03:00 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Hi,

You can now search with Google by giving it an image.
Giving it your Image3.jpg will eventually lead you to artwork which is credited to David Michalczyk from Poland who created this art in 2000.

Hope this helps at all,
Old 20-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Hebus (Monge Olivier)

Thanks for your answer ^^
Amazing, i've never see Google can do it now, it's wonderfull !
In fact it will be when it will work ^^
They gived me wrong pictures, and anyway, if i find the good picture, it will certainly be from my own website ^^
Old 20-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebus View Post

Look at the different shapes of Pavo :

Left is ok, but right is always different.
http://epsilonproject.freeforums.org...ile.php?id=397
The second image in the set is the way that I am used to seeing it.

Quote:
Would you like to help by answering a few questions?

1: Do you know what culture, who see Pavo as it is on my picture?
It does not come from a particular culture. The birds were introduced to the sky in the late 1500s by two Dutch navigators. Bayer printed them in his star atlas and they have been accepted since then.

Quote:
2: At what time, and from where in south, do you see Tucana and Pavo, with this shape ?
Well, they would be in that position once a day but they show the constellations as they look when they are culminating - that is, they have reached their highest point in the sky, or when they are crossing the local meridian for someone looking south.

Quote:
There is a "30" on the picture, 30° ?
No. Tucana and Pavo are between 60 and 75 degrees south. I have never seen a 30 in that area before.

Quote:
3: The dotted lines triangle, why is this for?
I have never seen this before, either. I can only think that it is a fancy of someone in the north, who likes to make triangles out of the stars. We don't have any tradition of a triangle in this area that I know of.
Old 21-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Hebus (Monge Olivier)

"The second image in the set is the way that I am used to seeing it."
=> Yea, that's the most famous, not like the one i'm looking for ^^

"It does not come from a particular culture. The birds were introduced to the sky in the late 1500s by two Dutch navigators. Bayer printed them in his star atlas and they have been accepted since then."
=> By culture i was meaning that we find different shapes for a constellation, so some people say this star make part of it, but not this other, and some others say the opposite.
The second shape seems to be the most famous, but the other ones are also used, so who use what kind of way to design constellations, that's the question !
I would like to find who, what school, what scientist, use the constellation i've show.

"Well, they would be in that position once a day but they show the constellations as they look when they are culminating - that is, they have reached their highest point in the sky, or when they are crossing the local meridian for someone looking south."
=> Thanks, good info. what if we look to those constellations from the real south pole ?
Are they reversed ?

"No. Tucana and Pavo are between 60 and 75 degrees south. I have never seen a 30 in that area before."
=> So, what can it be ? A number for a star ? But why a so big number ?
A number of page in an Atlas? But why is this in the middle of a constellation, instead to be down right of the page ?
Stupid question (one time again^^), can we imagine the picture show those constellations seeing from another place of space.
Out of Earth ?

"I have never seen this before, either. I can only think that it is a fancy of someone in the north, who likes to make triangles out of the stars. We don't have any tradition of a triangle in this area that I know of."
=> Ok, anyway when it's used in north hemisphere, it's to show a special star configuration...
It's certainly a clue for our enigma...

Ok, thank you a lot, you gived me precious info !
If you've got more ideas, or someone else, i will appreciate you tell it ^^
I'll check this thread from time to time, and i'm ok to give you more info about our enigma, perhaps a detail will come in your minds...
We have some readers from your countries, so helping us will help you ^^