Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Iain1950 (Iain)

Hi, I am so glad to find a good southern hemisphere forum, so joined up this week. I live in Cape Town, probably the most beautiful city in the world!!

My first real astro experience was at an all-night star gazing get together in Sutherland, a tiny town in the Great Karoo, which is famous for 2 things. 1. It is the coldest town in south Africa 2. Outside the town high on a hill, is the South African Large Telescope (SALT). That night was a great experience for me and since then astronomy has bitten deep into me and on the way to becoming an obsession!.

I have a Skywatcher EQ5 6" telescope and have now bought a 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian.

Recently I went to see the Karoo Array Telescope about 80km from the Karoo town of Carnarvon. So far there are 7 antenae up and running. You can google it under SKA or Meerkat. This is the beginning of our bid to host the Square Kilometer Array, which Australia is also bidding for. If we get it, which I hope, I hope you Ozzies will still be friends with me!!!

Last year I joined the Cape Town amateur astronomy society and we meet every Wednesday at the old original observatory, in the suburb of Observatory!!! in Cape Town.

I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

Iain
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Iain

to IceInSpace! Of course we hope to win the SKA too

It sounds like you're getting bitten by the astronomy bug really badly - great to see Enjoy the ride.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ian. Yep, I'd agree with Mike, sounds like you've got it bad. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventure.

btw SKA in SA? Not a chance .... so we'll still be friends
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Iain,
Welcome to IIS.
If you check out our Members Map, you'll find your not the only one from SA on the forums. Who knows, you might be able to meet up with some one day.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/plot/world.php
Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Iain,

to IIS. And thanks for the bit of history in your intro - very interesting. Hope you enjoy your time here
Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

welcome to the group but take care this can quickly become a passion.
Brian
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
EddieDog (Eddie)
Old Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1950 View Post
Hi, I am so glad to find a good southern hemisphere forum, so joined up this week. I live in Cape Town, probably the most beautiful city in the world!!

My first real astro experience was at an all-night star gazing get together in Sutherland, a tiny town in the Great Karoo, which is famous for 2 things. 1. It is the coldest town in south Africa 2. Outside the town high on a hill, is the South African Large Telescope (SALT). That night was a great experience for me and since then astronomy has bitten deep into me and on the way to becoming an obsession!.

I have a Skywatcher EQ5 6" telescope and have now bought a 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian.

Recently I went to see the Karoo Array Telescope about 80km from the Karoo town of Carnarvon. So far there are 7 antenae up and running. You can google it under SKA or Meerkat. This is the beginning of our bid to host the Square Kilometer Array, which Australia is also bidding for. If we get it, which I hope, I hope you Ozzies will still be friends with me!!!

Last year I joined the Cape Town amateur astronomy society and we meet every Wednesday at the old original observatory, in the suburb of Observatory!!! in Cape Town.

I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

Iain
Ian, Welcome, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! Else your life will be in the stars and your bank well below the horizon!

Have fun
Eddie
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Liz

Gedday Iaan and welcome.

I too have a 10" Skywatcher Dob, nice size scope.

Capetown is a beautiful city?? Great to hear, have never been to Africa but is on my list .... down the track, so look forward to visiting ypur bful city.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

welcome to IIS, one of the best astronomy sites and forums (especially for us in the southern hemisphere.)
Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Iain and welcome to IIS

I hope you have a great stay here with us.

I have been to Capetown but that was in 1969, I'll bet it's pretty different to what I remember.