Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markvan View Post
I think it's sad that people aren't open minded. I know what I saw something strange.. If you can't be objective and question things then I feel sad for you. I don't know what I saw.. Hense the Title.

It's more likely that people that are angry have been raised Christian and the thought of other intelligent life..(other than on earth) Upsets them because it throws all there belief systems out the window.
Hi Mark, unfortunately these sort of posts will always bring out some form of negative comments for you.
That you see something that you can not determin what it was does not make it an extra terrestial object,and for you to put that connotation on it will always bring out the negative comments.
That we only have your limited description to go on so it is hard to give any definitive answer.
I and a big percentage of people on this site have been observing for a very long time without seeing anything of a nature that cannot be explaned in most cases, in my case over 26 years .
But there will always be cases that because of a lack of any real evidence, no satisfactory answer.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 10-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Markvan

Yes astroron, I agree with you. I have never said it was a alien invasion or anything of this nature. It was an observation made be me and my parents that is all. It was very strange.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM
mozzie (Peter)

all said and done mark...well done for spotting what ever it was????many a night i sit looking up hoping to see something out of the ordinary!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Paduan (Brett)

you did not fall over at the sight of the first one and the second then appeared to move in a different direction
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Markvan

Haha, no I didn't fall over.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Zincberg (Andrew)

Mark, Dont take it to heart that people are having a little fun with this thread, truth of the matter is that without all the facts, its impossible for anyone to give you a definitive answer.
There are so many things you need to know to assertain what it is that someone else sees.... for example (but not limited to):
1.Your location
2.The EXACT viewing time
3. which direction you were looking
4. The viewing conditions (including light interferance from streetlights, cars going past, neighbours verrandah lights, temperature, humidity)
Then there are all the "almost uncheckables"..
Planes, helicopters, neighbours with laser pointers, festivals or fetes from the day that might have had balloons etc.
Then none of that accounts for what you think you saw vs what you actually saw.

I once spent a full hour as a teenager watching some mysterious lights in the sky.. they were uniformed in their direction.. they were bright and they were moving FAST..they were approximately 30degrees up and they would travel south to north then shoot off at an acute angle then disappear and i was convinced I was watching an invasion.
As i moved around... i noticed there were areas where I couldnt see them.. and areas where I could, also.. when i pointed them out to my girlfriend at the time, she was unable to see them... when I ducked down to her height, they disappeared. I even went through a small amount of time thinking that only when I pointed them out, they disappeared, like an instant "recognition" cloaking device.. but I would stand back up to my original view, and they were back.
Eventually, a car came along the road I was on.. and I could have cried when I saw the very obvious explanation....what I was seeing was actually a reflection from the car lights as they travelled on the f3 freeway, being reflected off some shiny telephone wires that I just couldnt see due to a streetlight up the road hampering my night vision..and the wires being in a complete shadow from the same light.

Point is.. Its really hard to tell what you saw because there are SO many variables, try and have a sense of humour about the "little green men" comments.. people are just having fun.
Incidently, it is unlikely peoples "anger" (i havent noticed anyone getting angry in this thread) is because of a religious viewpoint being thrown out the window, its probably more likely that as scientists/astronomers, the question of aliens comes up in almost every conversation with people you encounter. I know for me the ol.."Have you seen any aliens yet" is only maybe second in comments to people suggesting I am looking through a neighbours window.

Incidently, I havent seen any "intellegent life" apart from the satelites we have put in orbit YET... but man oh man, what an experience it would be if I did!!!(and the neighbours window isnt worth looking through )
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Markvan

Hey Zincberg, I also agree with your post. It may have been many things.. Iam unsure. They did appear like stars... Like any other star you will see in the night sky. Only they moved...

I was facing south east when I saw this happen. The viewing conditions were clear.. Very good viewing (for suburbia).
I also have had the "have you seen aliens" and "what's that for, looking at the neighbours" jokes.
What I saw was seen by two other people. And was obvious to me as very strange. I am open to all ideas from anyone.

Last edited by Markvan; 11-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Mark.
Would it be possible that what you saw was the exhaust glow from two military jet aircraft travelling side by side. One continues ahead probably to an airstrip and the other does a verticle climb and veers away, then the glow from it's exhaust would then be facing away from you.
I believe you did see something which does require a logical explaination.
Cheers!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Jaybee (John)

Hi Mark
I'd like to think what you saw was infact a couple of E.T. ships..
Just because we have no hard evidence of alien life, doesn't mean its not out there. With all the Galaxies and all the Stars in the Universe are we that pompous to think that we are the only planet that has intelligent life (some would say that was debateable as well). It's also feasable that some E.T. civilisations may have advanced far more than our own, and are able to travel great distances with ease. Take the Sci-Fi in Star trek, where they can travel around the Universe with relative ease. The show is set 300 odd years in the future, so considering how for our civilisation has advanced in just the last hundred or so years, how far could it advance in another 300?
Now I'm sure there are people reading this and thinking to themselves that I'm a dreamer, but take yourself back to the late 1700's and try to convice the people of that time that in 300 years we would be using the technologies that we take for granted today....you would probably be burned at the stake!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
but take yourself back to the late 1700's and try to convice the people of that time that in 300 years we would be using the technologies that we take for granted today....you would probably be burned at the stake!
Go back just 30 years and try to convince astronomers about the technology we use today. They would have point blank told you you were lying. LOL
Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Daveskywill (David)

The one time I'm sure I saw a UFO

Hello:

Once before when my mom and I were Cocoa Beach, Florida I saw something interesting. We were waiting for a rocket launch, but not a shuttle launch. And it was back in January 2009 for the launching of a probe rocket.

So it was at night and I saw something (UFO) coming from the east going west with 3 white lights. They didn't flicker or flash and the one in the middle stayed there while the outer ones looked to travel in a out and cross over at the middle. To me, it looked like it was traveling a bit faster than an airplane would, but then I didn't guess at the altitude.

It then reappeared and disappeared to the east at which point just before I told my mom and she saw it.

What does anyone here think about that?

David
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

When I was 14, I saw three red lights traveling in a delta pattern. No noise, just gliding silently from roughly south to north. Followed them for a few minutes with my bino's until they suddenly "disappeared" (move into the earth's shadow?)...

Considering it was the mid-70's, my father suggested to me it was probably military satellites... this hypothesis passes Occam's Razor, unlike an Extraterrestrial spacecraft fly-over...

I know a lot of people "" the romance of ET looking down on us covertly , but honestly...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Markvan

Hey Astro nut, Ive never seen air craft exhaust glow, so I could not compare. What I saw has a shimmer just like a normal star. They didn't change size, they stayed the same size as the both moved down at the same speed, before the left one shot up.
Jaybee, I agree it does seem possible that there are intelligent beings in the universe somewhere.. Seems to me way to foolish to believe we are it.
The media (news globally) have had a number of strange stories in recent years which can not be explained. More people are looking and often with cameras in phones people are getting pics or videos of strange events.
Oicurmt, I don't know that people love the romance of ET. Most movies show aliens or ufos on a he'll bent mission to destroy mankind.
Most of the astromers and scientists (these days) are of the frame of mind that there is intelligent life in the universe..I am open minded.. But also am open to earthly answers.. To my strange observation.

Last edited by Markvan; 12-09-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 13-09-2011, 12:16 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Cool

Quote:
Oicurmt, I don't know that people love the romance of ET. Most movies show aliens or ufos on a he'll bent mission to destroy mankind.
Most of the astromers and scientists (these days) are of the frame of mind that there is intelligent life in the universe..I am open minded.. But also am open to earthly answers.. To my strange observation.
I agree, but I just don't think that in the grand universe, billion of light years across that ET somehow stumbled upon little planet earth (and took interest), several light years (or millions of light years) from their home planet at such a time that coincidentally they happen to observe pedantic little creatures evolved enough to figure out how to kill each other more efficiently using what to them would be equivalent to us poking each other with sticks listening to our insignificant society argue about stuff that to them is irrelevant...

The odds of an alien race finding earth and making the journey to our planet from even within the Milky Way itself makes the term "Astronomical" seem, well, rather <>

But humans continue to be arrogant or stupid enough to somehow believe that "Yep... those aliens really love to 'probe' humans... that's why they are here!"
Old 13-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Markvan

Haha Oicurmt, If they ever come to earth we will book you in for the first anal probe.. Is that what your after?
Old 13-09-2011, 07:51 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Haha Oicurmt, If they ever come to earth we will book you in for the first anal probe.. Is that what your after?

ha ha ha ..... mmmmmmmmmm.... maybe?
Old 18-09-2011, 02:40 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

No is was swamp gas .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Could be barking up the wrong tree here .... what about " min min " lights.

Just a guess ...!!

Flash
Old 24-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Amunous (Michael)

It would be VERY VERY foolish and arrogant of us to believe that we are the only intelligent life in the universe, considering that we know the universe is at least 15 billion light years wide. (That we can see)

Consider all the galaxies and solar systems and planets that have the possibility of sustaining life. We have 2 in our solar system alone, and there are several within a few light years of us.

There is NO way we are alone in this massive universe.

Now whether they have visited us is another debate all together, but to turn around and say there is no life anywhere (without evidence to support your rant) just because you don't believe that if there was they wouldn't come here. Is naive and arrogant. We are NOT special, we are NOT unique (Look at how close we are in genetic make up to pigs and monkey's.)

There is too much evidence to suggest we are not alone.

Oh i forgot to add.. the fact that we have found bacteria on mars.. makes anyone who's argument that there is no life in the universe negated. We have FOUND life on other planets. Albeit not intelligent life but life none the less.

We are shaped by our knowledge of whats around us and what we have been taught (very very very very limited knowledge.) There quite frankly could very well be civilisations vastly more advanced than us. (millions of years more considering that we are considered and infant race.) Whats to say they cant travel millions of km at speeds we just don't understand. Them visiting us might be like us taking a trip to Sydney, or taking a trip to the shops. Purely because they are using technology that we just don't understand, and just because we don't understand it does not mean that it doesn't exist.

I could go on and on and on, and no im not some science fiction nut that goes out looking for UFO's spouting rhetoric about how were being visited by aliens so just stop before you accuse. I'm merely more open minded to something than to suggest that it doesn't exist without evidence, or because i was told it doesn't exist. (Like two people looking at a wall and one turns to the other and says that wall isn't there, and the first one nods and says yeah i agree, while a third walks up and paints it.)

Last edited by Amunous; 24-09-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Markvan

Well said amunous. I agree completely. A lot of people are getting evidence of strange objects, all around the world. It appears we are in an awaking stage of our development where people actually begin to think beyond our communities. The Internet is opening people awareness, and creating debate. I think that at the moment we live in amazing times.. With technology bring people together and people sharing ideas.
Old 24-09-2011, 12:51 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunous View Post
Oh i forgot to add.. the fact that we have found bacteria on mars.. makes anyone who's argument that there is no life in the universe negated. We have FOUND life on other planets. Albeit not intelligent life but life none the less.
You need to reference your statement, as it is inaccurate.

OIC!