Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Cupp@ (Paul)

Beginners Ergonomics

Bought my son's first telescope last week, a 6" SkyWatcher Dob from Bintel. Was really happy with the fast delivery and complimentary copy of Astronomy Australia 2011.

I got the scope set up quickly but the weather prevented me from testing it out for a couple of nights. When the weather cleared I joyfully spent about an hour looking at various stars with both the 25mm and 10mm EP that came with the scope. It was great, I got to see Jupiter and 3 of its moons.

Now to the point of the post..... 1 hour of bending over and looking through the EP and my back hated me, not just mild irritation but throbbing "I want to hurt you" pain. Am I missing something simple here?

- start short whinge -
TNT were irritating in their completely unhelpful and unflexible delivery policies, resulting in the telescope sitting in some guys delivery van, in the same city I live in, over the weekend rather than at my house being set up.

- end short whinge -
aHHH.... THAT FEELS BETTER
Old 29-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Huginn (Aaron)

Memories of when I used my mates old SCT on an equatorial mount. I used to lay on the ground just to look around the zenith because being on my knees to look through the eyepiece (which was very close to the ground) was hurting my back and knees. I know how you feel.
Old 29-10-2011, 09:52 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

There are dedicated adjustable observation chairs, kinda like chair on a ladder, google it and you will see what I mean.
Maybe a bar stool would help as an interim, preferably with a cold one nearby
Bo
ps: welcome
Old 29-10-2011, 11:18 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I have one of these http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx they are magic!. Have had very few sore back problems since I purchased. Only prob is they are black and hard to see with a dimmed red light, so have tripped over it a couple of times in the dark (but that may be just 'cos I'm clumsy .... or a galoot as the SWMBO would say!)
Old 30-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

adjustable is nice but at 6"s just a plain old plastic garden stool could well work... it does for me at 5'10" with a 8" dob
Brian
Old 30-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Either an adjustable chair, as the others have mentioned, or put the dob on a small table. Just a foot high will help. But sitting is better - you'll find you can see even more when you're not having to put part of your concentration into standing still. I have one of the adjustable height chairs from Bintel and love it (actually use it for non-astronomy stuff, too) and some people like drummers stools.
Old 30-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
I have one of these http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx they are magic!. Have had very few sore back problems since I purchased. Only prob is they are black and hard to see with a dimmed red light, so have tripped over it a couple of times in the dark (but that may be just 'cos I'm clumsy .... or a galoot as the SWMBO would say!)
Agreed!
The adjustable observing chair, although a little pricey, was a great purchasing decision.
And yes, they are easy to trip over.
I have a strip of reflective red tape on the top of meine to "see" it with the red headlight.
AND
a little LUMINOUS tent rope Tag to help when the head light is off.
These tent rope tags are great and available from BCF for not much. (great for tent ropes etc too on camping venues )
Old 30-10-2011, 07:15 AM
shane.mcneil

I've heard you can get adjustable ironing chairs that are suitable. I haven't found one yet but if you Google them you'll see some pictures.

Shane
Old 30-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Cupp@ (Paul)

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I'll be ordering one of those chairs. The idea of the reflective tape and tent tag's a ripper.

I'm sure my 10yo won't need one, I think the Dobsonian might have been made to measure, the EP is about his height to look without bending!
Old 30-10-2011, 01:17 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Love my stool

Been to the hair dresser recently? All those who still have hair that is LOL..
I purchased a Hairdresser Stool.. Nice padded top in the shape of a tractor seat. Designed for long sitting times, so nice on the bum and easy to carry around as the seat pad removes from the base.. Goes nice and high and low. It does have wheels to roll around, and I find these good at home on the path and never a worry on the lawn (don't move as good, but humm).. I liked it so much I now have two and use them in my shed.
Look in the phone book for wholesale hairdresser supplies.. Mine cost $80, but cheaper options started as little as $60..
Looking at stars should not be a pain in the back or the A......

Mardy
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

If you don't want to spend money on a chair, make a Denver Observing Chair (Google !) Quick and easy to make and adjustable from 100mm off the ground to 900mm. It can also double as a small table. Remember your DOB will have the eyepiece quite low when viewing near the horizon.