Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
The rules of warrantees, guarrantees etc are made by the government to protect the public from unscrupulous sellers. The manufacturers and dealers have to follow these rules. However once the goods become second hand these rules no longer apply and it is "buyer beware". Words to this effect are not necessary in the manuals or brochures as they are beyond the control of the maker and agents.
Barry
From experience I can say that some manufacturers will do the right thing to maintain customer loyalty regardless of what is written on paper. In this case it seems the scope has suffered an untimely failure - perhaps repairs at cost would be seen as doing the right thing and make the customer more satisfied with the product (and more likely to tell others that he's satisfied with the product).
Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
From experience I can say that some manufacturers will do the right thing to maintain customer loyalty regardless of what is written on paper. In this case it seems the scope has suffered an untimely failure - perhaps repairs at cost would be seen as doing the right thing and make the customer more satisfied with the product (and more likely to tell others that he's satisfied with the product).
I agree
It makes commercial sense to do the right thing. I have worked in industries where warrantees are the order of the day and we have sure processed some extremely doubtful claims at times for the sake of keeping a good name. We were always suckers for a good story but when the claimants became rude and nasty we went by the letter of the law.

Barry
Old 13-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Markaus

Good news to report to those following, the scopes back up and running and the issue was something to do with a burnt out motor ( I believe) and this has been replaced along with the Power supply I purchased. (the original power supply had its fuse replaced on the adapter side and is working fine but they just swapped it anyway)

I have to say that as per Barry's comments its fairly important to always tackle issues rationally otherwise everything breaks down and it becomes a brick wall. (doesn’t matter what the subject is!)

I was frustrated initially re having paid and then to find it go down instantly with another issue but understand the warranty clause albeit whether we agree or not. (For a Newbie this is/was so frustrating)

Anyway, thanks BinTel, great service and appreciate the support.

Now...I need the clouds to vanish so I can finally see Jupiter for the 1st time.....

cheers all

Mark
Old 13-10-2011, 01:00 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Glad to hear this has had a happy ending .

Your right ...Jupiter is looking good at the moment
I can see 4 of her moons and 2 distinct " brownish " looking bands through my Televue Pronto.

The lightbridge hasn't had much use lately.

Flash