Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

95 deep sky objects

This "map" shows a good selection of 95 deep sky objects south of declination +45.
You can zoom in using the +.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1100488...11344794121746
17 open clusters are circles
19 globular clusters are diamonds
17 nebulae are squares
15 planetary nebulae are blue dots
27 galaxies are triangles
A list is attached and images are at https://picasaweb.google.com/1100488...hernObservers#
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 95 DSO.pdf (87.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by glenc; 06-10-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
M104 is better in a telescope but M33 is better in binoculars from here
Hi Glenn, Rob,

I dunno about that one. M33 is one of my favourite telescopic galaxies. At Coonabarabran it only gets to about 30 deg above the horizon, but is visible naked eye when conditions are favourable. Under those same conditions in a medium to large telescope an absolute wealth of detail is visible. There are numerous and large HII regions including NGCs 588, 592, 595, and NGC 603 and 604, plus several IC objects, all visible in an 18" telescope. The spiral arms are also clearly visible. At higher powers because of its apparent size it is too large for the FOV and you need to move the scope around to take it all in. I also love the Sombrero. It is a very easy object in smaller scopes, and the dust lane is evident in those same scopes, but for mine it doesn't have the available detail that M33 does. To be honest I love 'em both to death.

I can appreciate this post is in the "beginner's" section. However, many people start out these days with 10" or 12" newtonians and M33 has plenty to offer for that size telescope.

Cheers,
John B
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
dj gravelrash (Dino)

Your a gem glen. Have printed off all the info. Again thanks for looking after us new guys -cheers
Old 08-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Robh (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
I can appreciate this post is in the "beginner's" section. However, many people start out these days with 10" or 12" newtonians and M33 has plenty to offer for that size telescope.
Hi John,

Unfortunately, a lot of us live in or around bright suburban polluted skies. Low surface brightness galaxies are a tough call even in larger scopes.
But I guess you have to use a base line. Given you can view somewhere under dark skies, all these are great objects to observe.

Regards, Rob