Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
csb (Craig)

I also think it seems good n straightforward to use. Perhaps a higher resolution monitor would be good.

It also has a control box.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

The instructions that come with the 'cheapie' camera are appalling. So the extra work comes from determining for yourself what the appropriate settings are. The makers of Revolution Imager seem to have determined these settings, and MAY have configured the camera for astro use. There is no info directly mentioning this, only alluding. As I have no experience with the Revolution Imager, I cannot speak for it. I'm not being dismissive, just cautious. I do like how they've made the TFT screen capable of being mounted onto the scope using a tripod ball attachment

Sourcing the bits and pieces to make the 'cheapie' work is easy and inexpensive. But the trade off is determining the 'instructions' for yourself.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
csb (Craig)

That's what I was hoping to hear, Alex. And so I also found that OC Telescope have supplied suitable settings for the camera. Looking good.

So what has actually been modded, if anything, is just a guess. May be physical mod or software mod and may not matter anyway.

The monitor mount is a great. Mounting the monitor was something I was considering - that was the convenience of a dslr camera.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Craig, thanks for suggestion OC Telescopes. I've gone through the three videos of the Rev.Im. camera they have. So far from what I've seen, one great innovation over the stand alone camera is the remote control for the menu. That is a great bonus as it can be awkward at best to push the buttons on the back of the camera.

I can't say that so far I've seen anything by way of enhancements on the camera. The on screen menu that I've seen is identical to what I have. But like I said earlier, the people behind the Rev.Im. would have determined what are the optimal settings for the camera, saving the user a whole heap of time and effort.

The focal reducer is a great tool to use with an SCT, or other slow instrument. Using it on a fast Newt introduces too much field curvature as the reducer is not really designed for Newts. Increasing the distance between the reducer and the chip also increases the TFOV the camera can see. I'm sure that a point will be reached where increasing the distance will start introducing vignetting as the edge of the TFOV of the scope is reached, but I don't see this as a major problem. I see it as a marker saying not to go any further. So far I've only used the reducer on the end of the 1.25" nose piece, and I haven't reached the point where I've seen the edge of the FOV of the scope/optical train. Same with the GSTAR.

The videos from OC Telescopes has given me some further ideas on how to manipulate the camera. When these clouds decide to bugger off I'll look to set it up again from home...

What I've struggled with is the overexposing of objects. I need to work out the way to balance out the exposure time with the sense-up setting. I'll have a look at those CN threads too. Daytime use of the camera, and with the planets is relatively easy. It is the faint stuff I've struggled with, like nebulae and galaxies. GC's are flaming brilliant in it. I picked up M4 in my 8" f/4 dobbie (so no tracking), and it out performed a mate's ZWO camera I used with the same scope the same night.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I had a look at Ken James' CN thread on the Revolution Imager, and his first light video of it. The camera is the same as I have, with exactly the same quibbles - nothing preset for astro. But the thread and video explained a lot on how to deal with the camera,

Now, for the clouds to clear...
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
csb (Craig)

Glad you found some very useful info Alex.

The remote box is great and a similar remote can be bought, separately, for US$50 from Astro Video Systems, in USA. They make/mod a camera which may be based on the LN300 and have also made a remote. So it may work with your camera. Their camera has some connection as LN300 for the remote cable.

This store sell DSO-1 camera which, as I said, is similar/same as LN300. They state, “This camera is custom modified by Astro-Video Systems both in hardware and firmware based on proprietary AVS work.”

Pricing:
Camera only US$109
Camera with all needed cables & nosepiece to start viewing US$179.

There is plenty of info on the Astro Video System website (link below) and good reviews on the web.

http://www.astro-video.com/dso-camera-body-dso-1.html

I have sent an email to AVS to ask if they ship overseas. I couldn’t find any info on the website nor on astronomy forums. Probably means they don’t but I have a relative in USA so that may be the way to go. I am certainly interested in the camera when I eventually do get an astrovideo kit. Adrian, this may be better option than the Revolution - better pricing and options.

Last edited by csb; 03-11-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
csb (Craig)

I just got an affirmative reply from Matt at Astro Video Systems. They do ship to Australia and he quoted US$28 for a camera body + remote.

I emailed him less than an hour ago. Small world!

For camera body + wired remote + shipping = AU$265 approx.

(I intend to source cables, nosepiece, monitor myself due to exchange rate with US$ at the moment)
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

That's fantastic. The Dob cam is nice haha! The hand remotes look like iPod shuffles. I don't see a "buy" button anywhere on the website?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

NVM I see you have to order it directly viz email and paypal. I like the bluetooth model is interesting. Can control the camera from your phone.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 PM
csb (Craig)

On AVS site click contact then order.

Order as per instructions on the order page.

Oops! I see you found out.

Last edited by csb; 15-11-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:02 PM
csb (Craig)

Alex, Matt from AVS (who sells the DSO-1) said this is the controller used for the Rev Imager.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...291054519.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Free-Shipping-RJ-UTC-Remote-Controller-for-CCTV-Camera-Closed-circuit-television-remote-control-.jpg)
118.7 KB96 views

Last edited by csb; 05-11-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:08 PM
DavidLJ (David)

You might be interested in this Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6M0...ature=youtu.be But the camera is very new and quite pricey.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Craig, thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Ok, just bought the remote. Let's see what happens...

For those of you who do not have an aliexpress account, the UTC Remote Controller can be found on Ebay:

UTC Remote Controller on Ebay

Last edited by mental4astro; 06-11-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 PM
csb (Craig)

So you really did want a controller. Great price too.

Wow, the Atik gives fantastic viewing with good detail.

However, the DSO1 is my kind of price with good views.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:43 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Had a look at that Dobcam, and noticed something interesting:

My 'cheapie' camera, the Dobcam AND the Revolution imager, all the same camera!

Remember one thing - all the DSO images we are being shown with these cameras have all been taken under dark skies - light polluted skies wash out video images too. No free lunch here either. BUT, any of these cameras WILL show DSOs under urban skies that are invisible to the nsked eye, even with thecamera rigged up to an 80mm scope and you looking through a 10" scope rigjt next to it.

The neat thing about how the Dobcam is delivered, they have made an adapter that accomodates the camera inside a 2" focuser - the camera really is tiny, and does fit inside a 2" focuser! This allows for a 'non-photo optimized' scope to reach focus. An eq platform is still needed for longer integration times.

Last edited by mental4astro; 06-11-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:43 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Whats the max exposure length on these security cameras?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

These cameras have a maximum exposure of around 1/50 sec, down to 1/100,000. They also have an adjustable 'integration' period, which essentially is a variable stacking function, called sense-up. The integration can be upto 1064x. All done automatically.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

So cant really tailor these to 10-20 second exposure stacking. So aperture is still rather important to seeing deeper unlike how AP works.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

At the focal length of a Dob, the field rotation would make a nasty mess in a 10-20 second exposure.