Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 20-10-2010, 08:30 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Congratulations Suzy on a wonderful first report. You definitely succeeded in taking us all along for a nighttime ride without leaving our PCs. That's the sort of reporting that will stimulate many others to have fun nights under the stars I'm sure. Keep 'em coming.

I've never looked through visual filters, so your impressions on UHC and OIII on M42 were interesting. Re seeing, is it possible some of the poor "seeing" early in the night was your much larger mirror still cooling? I'm hardly an expert, but have had the impression before that when my mirror hasn't reached ambient I can see waves of disturbed air inside the tube (or mirror boundary layers) slowly swirling about when the image is way out of focus in one direction. In fact if you wave your hand or a book at the end of the scope you can see the air swirl a bit more. Definitely more cooling required when you see that.....

Please keep up the good work with these. We'll expect to see many more now.
Old 21-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
NGC 121 is easy when you spot it. It is just that NGC 104 sits there like a gorilla in the corner - hard to take your eyes off it! I don't think I have looked for NGCs 176 and 152 - new targets, thanks Ron.

Very enjoyable reading, thanks Suzy. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/thumbsup.gif

Re the Trapezium stars - given what you said earlier about the seeing I was wondering if you would spot the E & F stars - but sounds like you did. Nicely separated E & F stars in your widefield eyepiece area are a pointer to a good night's observing ahead, in my experience!
Wow so I did get the 6th one! I've only ever seen 4 (in my previous 6") so I honestly wasn't expecting to see more, or even where to search them out. The tough part with one of them was, I thought I could see it, and the star would soften and slightly seagull with the seeing, therefore swamping out the tiny star that I thought I could see. So I ended up giving up on it. I am thrilled that I got all 6 of them, especially in poor conditions and especially as I had no clue where they were hiding! Go girl power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
That is an excellent report Suzy! I really enjoyed the detail that you captured and the feel that you conveyed. Please don't shorten them or you might lose this.
Paddy if you say so, I will do as you suggest. Thank you.
Quote:
One question, with a hubby like that, why are searching for Travolta?
Travolta would present me with a velvet lined timber case (made from an ancient oak tree cut down by the leader of the YaYa tribe who serves to hide and protect the Sharman), full of Ethos, Naglers and Pentaxs. Then fly me to the other side of the world to a dark sky that would make Davy Levy green with envy. That's why.
Quote:
Another question - did you end
up using your phone to do the recording and if you did, was there a way you could stop the screen interfering with your night vision. I tried it with my phone once, but it was like have a torch on.
Don't make me go there, it won't be pretty!
Any suggestions from anyone for an affordable recorder that would do the job will be gratefully appreciated.
Quote:
I can't wait for your next offering.
Thanks Paddy, I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Excellent Report Suzyhttp://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....s/thumbsup.gif top stuff,
Sounds like you had a great time.Keep it up.
Regards orestis
Thank you Orestis. If the weather will play ball and not make me have 6 week breaks, I would so love to keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Congratulations Suzy on a wonderful first report. You definitely succeeded in taking us all along for a nighttime ride without leaving our PCs. That's the sort of reporting that will stimulate many others to have fun nights under the stars I'm sure. Keep 'em coming.
Rob, thank you. My hope is that beginners in particular, will come to see that the more they observe, the more they will see as the eyes really do get trained to do so. I would like to see more people not just look at an object, but really look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I've never looked through visual filters, so your impressions on UHC and OIII on M42 were interesting. Re seeing, is it possible some of the poor "seeing" early in the night was your much larger mirror still cooling? I'm hardly an expert, but have had the impression before that when my mirror hasn't reached ambient I can see waves of disturbed air inside the tube (or mirror boundary layers) slowly swirling about when the image is way out of focus in one direction. In fact if you wave your hand or a book at the end of the scope you can see the air swirl a bit more. Definitely more cooling required when you see that.....
I had the scope cooling for two hours before I used it. By the time I got to the Orion nebula, 4 1/2 hours had lapsed. The view to the North and West were poor, but the south was good. Yikes, I would have hoped 2 hrs or the 41/2 hours total would have been sufficient. Hubby later pointed to a lot of ice in the atmosphere as well, and the moon was surrounded with some golden halo. When I came across the Pleaiedes cluster with my naked eye, it resembled a swarm of bees on heat jumping up and down, that's when I realised how bad it actually was. Bit I did get plenty of moments of fair seeing in between. What you described about tube currents is very interesting and I will note them. I will also do that little trick with the hand in front of the scope. Thank you.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Rob_K

Nice job Suzy, hope to see more!

Cheers -
Old 21-10-2010, 06:21 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Nah - you would have been well and truely cooled by then Suzy. I'm sure it was seeing as you describe. The currents I describe are only visible when you're looking at a bright star and focuser is way in our out (so star is a diffuse bright large circle).

R