Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Bino collimation

I picked up an old pair of Hanimex Explorer 8x30 bino's for $5 at the school fete today. However they have a slight collimation problem.

Looking at the moon tonight I see two images with clear separation between them.

Is this too far out to fix by adjusting the collimation screws on the prisms?

I've search the Internet and found some instructions but they sound like they apply to minor collimation issues.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Well Michael, you don't know until you try.

But have a good look from outside first? Any obvious dings and knocks that could have bent things? Also, check the barrels. I have seen a pair once, straight from the manufacturer, with a barrel screwed on cross-threaded producing horrific collimation.

Keep searching the threads on this site until you find enough references to read. I'll try to attach a good one below.

You need to have the binoculars steady - on a tripod, or firmly on a handrail or similar. Then you need to be able to work out whether the mis-collimation of the images is vertical or horizontal or both. Try to remove any vertical mis-collimation and you may find they are much easier to use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oberwerk binocular collimation instructions.pdf (184.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
mikerr (Michael)

Does each side work perfectly as a Monocular? Maybe one side has an issue with having been knocked while the other side is still OK.
Might be a place to start.

Michael
Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Well Michael, you don't know until you try.

But have a good look from outside first? Any obvious dings and knocks that could have bent things? Also, check the barrels. I have seen a pair once, straight from the manufacturer, with a barrel screwed on cross-threaded producing horrific collimation.

Keep searching the threads on this site until you find enough references to read. I'll try to attach a good one below.

You need to have the binoculars steady - on a tripod, or firmly on a handrail or similar. Then you need to be able to work out whether the mis-collimation of the images is vertical or horizontal or both. Try to remove any vertical mis-collimation and you may find they are much easier to use.
Thanks Eric. No big obvious sign of this is where I landed when dropped. It does have some minor wear & tear scratches, but nothing unexpected. I have unscrewed the barrels and EP and nothing appeared cross threaded or out of place ot me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
Does each side work perfectly as a Monocular? Maybe one side has an issue with having been knocked while the other side is still OK.
Might be a place to start.

Michael
Yes, each side works on its own, no problems there. Just the two sides are way out of allignment.

Looks like i'll be turning some screws. Nothing to lose on this pair.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

If you have unscrewed bits, look at the prisms & specifically the glue holding them, you will easily see little cracks in the glue if the prism has shifted.
If it looks good don't be across to I've the collimation screws a go