Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

I found Jupiter

Tonight was my first clear night since I purchased my telescope, besides from the first night where all I could see was a very blurred moon. But after the advice I found on the forums (removing the 2" eyepiece adaptor) I was ready to take to the stars and on my first attempt I managed to see Jupiter, three of it's stripes and four of it's moons!

It was amazing. And then, with a very large amount of luck, I managed to find the Orion Nebula (at least I'm 90% certain it was it - I was pointed towards Orion).

It was worth getting eating alive by mosquitoes. By the way, if anyone knows of any great solutions to combat mozzies besides from citronella candles, please do share!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazamoline View Post
Tonight was my first clear night since I purchased my telescope, besides from the first night where all I could see was a very blurred moon. But after the advice I found on the forums (removing the 2" eyepiece adaptor) I was ready to take to the stars and on my first attempt I managed to see Jupiter, three of it's stripes and four of it's moons!

It was amazing. And then, with a very large amount of luck, I managed to find the Orion Nebula (at least I'm 90% certain it was it - I was pointed towards Orion).

It was worth getting eating alive by mosquitoes. By the way, if anyone knows of any great solutions to combat mozzies besides from citronella candles, please do share!

Good one!
I saw it too, but only 2 stripes(what is this idea of removing the 2 inch adaptor) how do you do that? I have left mine in.....?won't the 1.25 Eye pieces fall through? Or be loose.

As for mozzies Suzy on this forum sugests a fan to blow them away.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

I find that Aeroguard works really well in deterring the mozzies but understandably, the smell is not to everyone's liking. There is an alternative which is available at your local supermarket called "Off!" and it has a pleasant citrus scent. I highly recommend it!

Glad to hear you are finding your way around and sky and enjoying yourself as much as the mozzies are enjoying you.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksky View Post
Good one!
I saw it too, but only 2 stripes(what is this idea of removing the 2 inch adaptor) how do you do that? I have left mine in.....?won't the 1.25 Eye pieces fall through? Or be loose.

As for mozzies Suzy on this forum sugests a fan to blow them away.
I had thought you needed the 2" adaptor to fit the 1.25" adaptor but you don't. When they were both in together it just made everything blurred and out of focus. Try taking the 2" off and just leaving the 1.25" adaptor in. It sits perfect on mine.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I find that Aeroguard works really well in deterring the mozzies but understandably, the smell is not to everyone's liking. There is an alternative which is available at your local supermarket called "Off!" and it has a pleasant citrus scent. I highly recommend it!

Glad to hear you are finding your way around and sky and enjoying yourself as much as the mozzies are enjoying you.
Lol, thanks Eden. I keep the mozzies around here well fed.

I'll have to go shopping after work and pick up some "Off!" so I can spend more time stargazing.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazamoline View Post
I had thought you needed the 2" adaptor to fit the 1.25" adaptor but you don't. When they were both in together it just made everything blurred and out of focus. Try taking the 2" off and just leaving the 1.25" adaptor in. It sits perfect on mine.
Seems that mine has the 1.25 adaptor and the 2" is part of the focusor, so if I take out the 1.25" the 1.25" eyepiece will have nothing to hold it and it would fall through and smash the secondary mirror
Maybe I don't have the 2" adaptor at all?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 PM
kens (Ken)

Sounds like Caz is referring to a 2" extension tube. This is a male 2" thread on one end and female 2" thread on the other. It screws into the focusser and the 1.25" adapter screws into the other end.
It's needed for focussing on closer objects like the moon.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksky View Post
Seems that mine has the 1.25 adaptor and the 2" is part of the focusor, so if I take out the 1.25" the 1.25" eyepiece will have nothing to hold it and it would fall through and smash the secondary mirror
I found the 1.25" sat perfectly on the focuser part. At first I thought it would fall through but I held onto it very carefully to make sure it wouldn't fall through before screwing it on. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=108647

This is the link to the thread that helped me. You want to go down to the bottom and the post you want is the fourth from the bottom.

Let me know if it works.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

For mozzies, I've just picked up a thermoCELL from bunnings... i've read great things about em on hunting and astronomy forums worldwide. a member here mentioned it and after a few days research I was sold. I shall report back at the next opportunity but the system reminds me of the old plug in Mortein units from my childhood.

Be careful not to get the DEET sprays on your lenses or plastics.

Last edited by inertia8; 08-02-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 AM
creeksky (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Sounds like Caz is referring to a 2" extension tube. This is a male 2" thread on one end and female 2" thread on the other. It screws into the focusser and the 1.25" adapter screws into the other end.
It's needed for focussing on closer objects like the moon.
Thanks, I found I could unscrew the 2 inch part thread, but it seems dicey as there is then no holding screws, and the 1.25" EP and its holder could easily tip out with any movement of the scope.(unless you hold it with a hand on the focuser)
Will have a look at the thread Caroline has linked, but there are no holes for any holding screws as far as I can find.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 AM
raymo

The subject of the SW eyepiece adaptor system has been covered many times on IIS. It is actually quite simple. When new the 2"EP adaptor
has a label on it saying 2" Eyepiece Adaptor.
When using 1.25" EPs, the tube that the EP slides into comes screwed into a flat plate that has a bevel round it's periphery. The two knobs[screws] at the open end of the focuser lock onto the bevel.
When using 2" EPs the two knobs [screws] are loosened off, and the flat plate together with the tube that the EP slides into is removed. The bevelled end of the 2"EP adaptor is simply inserted into the open end of the focuser, and secured with the same two knobs [screws].
Sounds complicated, but a change of EP size can be done in less than
10 secs.
raymo
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
speach (Simon)

It's exciting isn't it? Wait until you can see Saturn, in my opinion it's the most incredible sight in the sky, after 50 odd years it still is a thrill.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Wedgie (Derek)

Jupiter and the four Galilean moons were superb with 8/8 clear skies in Brissy last night. I wasn't up late enough to view without the unstable shimmer though.
I agree that the Skintastic "Off" is a very civilised repellent however I have been using Bushman Ultra roll on for some time with a far longer lasting effect.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

Mozzies easy fix, During the day walk around the property tipping out all containers with rain water in them. If they don't have still water they can't lay eggs that hatch into wrigglers that grow into Mozzies. Fix the problem from the source. Encourage bird activity around the home as Sparrows, wagtails, Starlings etc are insectivores. Also drink more beer because Mozzies are tea teetotalers and don't like alcohol with their meals...
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Just a warning u was told not to use mozzy spray around scopes as it can damage the mirror coating
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM
raymo

As far as I'm aware, Saxon Newts [including dobs] are rebadged
SW scopes.
raymo
Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
As far as I'm aware, Saxon Newts [including dobs] are rebadged
SW scopes.
raymo
Saxon are made by the same company that makes Skywatcher (Synta) and are their less expensive brand.

From what I understand, the focuser adaptors and so forth are the same on both brands in their dobs.

Malcolm
Old 10-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
It's exciting isn't it? Wait until you can see Saturn, in my opinion it's the most incredible sight in the sky, after 50 odd years it still is a thrill.
+ 1 To that comment
Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

I'm looking forward to Saturn.

As for the thermaCELL it performed well last night. It definitely takes time to warm up and create it's cloud of whiffy repellent. Not a terrible smell but it's noticeable. I went out after 5mins and was attacked... left it for a further 10 and was rarely bothered by the blighters, one would occasionally brush past me but not land and bite.

I'll try it a few more times before I give it ny tick of approval but it's looking positive!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

I would love to view Saturn but first I need to find it. I bet it is an absolutely fantastic sight. Unfortunately it's going to be cloudy for the next week