Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-04-2017, 10:23 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Looes Power socket

G'Day All,
I have EQ6 Pro mount and now the Power socket is no longer tight and ever now and then the cable will move and I lose power to the mount.Is their some way of tightening the socket so it has a snug fit .

Ian
Old 25-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I have a similar issue would like an answer as well
Old 25-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Kunama

Use a pair of pliers to squeeze the power plug ever so slightly out of round.... if it is one of the round type, can't remember ...
Old 25-04-2017, 04:29 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

Before squeezing, can you put up a photo of the socket and plug?

I may have a better idea, but, it depends on what is inside the socket.

Philip
Old 25-04-2017, 04:41 PM
JA

I've heard the loose power socket mentioned a few times and how such a simple thing can ruin a session, especially if it goes unnoticed, not to mention restarting the imaging etc...

To combat this I've seen modifications of the mount to add a more reliable, 2 pin screw in microphone type socket. Here's a link for an idea...
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2...er-socket-mod/

Or as an interim measure, bend the socket outer contact inwards to better contact the plug outer contact. Or add some solder to build up the outer diameter of the existing plug. Or solder on a brass shim to the plug. Or possibly find a slightly larger plug (sometimes this exists - visit your local Jaycar or XXXX)

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 25-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 25-04-2017, 05:04 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

I have remade the power plugs with these from jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-1mm-righ...-plug/p/PP0514
They give a snug fit and easily made with very basic soldering.
Bo
Old 25-04-2017, 06:23 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I applaud those with the skill and confidence to install a new connector, but for me a simple reliable fix has been to use a connector with a right angle connection for the wire, then some strategically placed velcro near the power connection to ensure no movement. Keeps a little pressure on the connection at all times so it can't wiggle around risking a disruption.

This sort of thing, depending on what you want on the other end. Couldn't quickly find similar in Jaycar, but I'm sure it'd be there.
(Please check your polarity and pin sizes before use if purchasing power cables)

https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Righ.../dp/B000LFVFK8

Gosh its frustrating if you get a disconnection late at night during an imaging run slew, or after a full alignment. Feel for you!
Old 25-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
To combat this I've seen modifications of the mount to add a more reliable, 2 pin screw in microphone type socket. Here's a link for an idea...
Best
JA
The connector upgrade is the GX12 2-pin aviation socket and plug that is also now used on the AZ-EQ6 GT. I have 10 such connectors on the way to make alternate/spare power leads for the AZ-EQ6GT.

Quite a simple upgrade, total cost about $10+ time.....
Old 25-04-2017, 08:59 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The GX-12 is a perfect option - considering to change my EQ5 GOTO kit to that style.

Or the type SBIG use for their STF cameras - I have a couple of spares (screw down collar 2.5mm jack)
Old 25-04-2017, 09:02 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

If the socket is the same as in the top photo in the link below, then try using a wire hook to pull the metal tap on the inside closer to the pin. This may fix the problem for now.

I also suggest draping the power cord, so that the weight of it pulls the plug away from the metal tab, rather than pushing the metal tab away from the pin.

http://www.myastroscience.com/eq6powerupgrade

Philip
Old 27-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

G'Day to All Thanks for your replies to my thread.I am half way through putting a 2 pin plug into my mount power supply.It is a shame that the maker's of the mount don't make and supply this cable and connector .Again thanks all

Ian