Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-03-2019, 09:45 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

ISS Moon Transit

I haven't been able to post here for a while due to web-browser plug-in incompatibilities with the IIS website. All sorted now.

Here's a couple of images I've taken this week of the IIS.

The moon transit was taken just after sunrise with my Canon 70D in video mode, Sigma 50-500mm & 2 x extender mounted on my Star Adventurer. 60 frames were then combined to make this composite image.

The closeup was taken using manual tracking yesterday morning with a GSO 10" F4 Newtonian, ASI183MC Pro and Televue Powermate 4x (not mounted on my Star Adventurer)

I've just bought a Powermate 2x and am keen to see if I can improve the quality of the close-up images at the expense of resolution.

I've never collimated the OTA since I bought it (used) either - when I figure out how I'll be interested to see if it sharpens the image much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon ISS Condong (Copy).jpg)
152.7 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (ISS (Copy).jpg)
89.5 KB70 views
Old 26-03-2019, 09:55 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

That's no beginner effort!!
Very nice
Old 26-03-2019, 12:26 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Thanks Chris I sure feel like a beginner when I'm taking the photos - lots of mistakes made - and its only my 3rd ISS-moon transit attempt. And that blasted big 44 gallon drum with mirrors ? - I'm really just fumbling about with that. I've got no idea if its collimated or not (being an F4 from what I have read, most likely its not). Dusty mirror, minimal cooldown. Soooooo much to learn and put into practice.
Old 26-03-2019, 01:01 PM
RyanJones

Awesome work Kelvin ! Well done.

I think the coolest thing about these images is that you're taking photos of something man made that is in space. It's a real reminder of what the human race has achieved. Very cool !
Old 26-03-2019, 01:40 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Thanks very much Ryan - and not to mention there are 6 human beings on that man-made object right at the moment !

And it's not like they can bail out if anything goes wrong and parachute back to earth.
Old 26-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Nice images Kelvin, always good fun trying to get transit shots, getting all the variables to gell, location, clouds etc.
Hoping to catch one in the early morning.
Old 28-03-2019, 02:46 PM
assbutt94

Congratulations on the shots!
Everything lined up, and you got it!

How exactly did you get the closeup of the ISS? Did you position over the travel path and take a capture without tracking using a fast shutter speed as the ISS crossed the FOV?
In any case, very nice captures!
Old 28-03-2019, 03:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Beginner or not you have produced a wonderful image. You should be proud.
Alex
Old 28-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

That's really good!
I have a 10" scope too, it's so hard to manually tracking the ISS. I occasionally have a go if I want to guarantee myself blood, sweat, tears and a thumping heart rate .
Well done Kelvin.
Old 28-03-2019, 05:34 PM
raymo

At my age I'd have to be a Lunartic to attempt it. Great job.
raymo
Old 28-03-2019, 07:01 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Great snap!!!
Old 29-03-2019, 10:35 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

assbutt94 - I pre-align the centre of my illuminated right-angle-finder exactly with the centre of the telescope (that in itself is difficult at 4000mm focal length). I focus the OTA on a star and wait until the ISS is starting to make its pass and is visible. With the clutches released on the EQ mount (and the mount suitably "polar aligned" parallel to the ISS's path, I aim my finder at the ISS and try to keep it as close as possible in the finder cross-hairs whilst tracking it across the sky. The large sensor size / lots of megapixels of the 183MC gets me plenty of images that I extract from the resultant 50-ish gigabyte video using PIPP.

I hope that explains it reasonably well :-)
Old 29-03-2019, 06:21 PM
assbutt94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
assbutt94 - I pre-align the centre of my illuminated right-angle-finder exactly with the centre of the telescope (that in itself is difficult at 4000mm focal length). I focus the OTA on a star and wait until the ISS is starting to make its pass and is visible. With the clutches released on the EQ mount (and the mount suitably "polar aligned" parallel to the ISS's path, I aim my finder at the ISS and try to keep it as close as possible in the finder cross-hairs whilst tracking it across the sky. The large sensor size / lots of megapixels of the 183MC gets me plenty of images that I extract from the resultant 50-ish gigabyte video using PIPP.

I hope that explains it reasonably well :-)
Wow, very tricky, but the result was fantastic! I think I'll have to have a go one day. Thankyou for the explanation!