Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
... I think the problem with decon/wavelettes filters is that both can easily force all the HII and star cluster details (in the case of galaxies) into uniformly round dots and it is this effect that my eyes are so highly tuned to notice....it just doesn't look real to me

Mike
That's clealy put, Mike. I think I understand better now. When used even more recklessly, wavelet sharpening and decon in particular can produce what I call a "glassy" look - high contrast but nothing to do with what's up there. We try to stop short of that, because it's pretty ugly. But I think you're saying, quite reasonably, that one should stop even further short.

Is it possible to use subtle sharpening or local contrast enhancement without either putting things in the image that aren't in the sky, or taking out of the image things that are really there?

MBJ
Old 25-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Beautiful field there Mike and Trish. Regarding decon. My test for the right amount of decon is that Mike S fails to comment on it.
Old 25-07-2017, 10:53 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Beautiful shot M&T. Plenty of background galaxies to keep the viewer engaged.
Bo
Old 26-07-2017, 08:18 AM
DJT (David)

A lovely image MnT. I enjoyed swimming around in the large version, so many galaxies, with the two stars being standouts in terms of details.

Well done!
Old 26-07-2017, 12:03 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Beautiful field there Mike and Trish. Regarding decon. My test for the right amount of decon is that Mike S fails to comment on it.
...oh well, we do see less worms and dots these days...

Seriously though, there was a time I recall a fixation on noise levels in images being pointed out in every post reply...but noise is not an intentionally added applied option but rather a function of less than optimal exposure time or over stretching, so IMO at least...it is much less of a processing crime . However, (over) applying a filter to artificially alter the details and completely changing the look of an image, well!..THAT is a serious crime...that needs reporting to the correct authorities!

Old 26-07-2017, 04:26 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Wow a really deep image chock full of activity M&T.

I'd call your pic more of an 'Avengers' shot, no single hero in this baby. Love that elliptical, the dust lane teasing the eyes, is it really there? Yes it is!

With all the mosaics out there, why not make it even bigger, do an Avengers versus Justice League battle scene... make me chuckle 'this is a 4 by 4 panel mosaic comprising 23 arcsecs'
Old 28-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Thanks Geoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Beautiful shot M&T. Plenty of background galaxies to keep the viewer engaged.
Bo
Cheers, Bo. Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
A lovely image MnT. I enjoyed swimming around in the large version, so many galaxies, with the two stars being standouts in terms of details.

Well done!
Thank you David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
...oh well, we do see less worms and dots these days...

Seriously though, there was a time I recall a fixation on noise levels in images being pointed out in every post reply...but noise is not an intentionally added applied option but rather a function of less than optimal exposure time or over stretching, so IMO at least...it is much less of a processing crime . However, (over) applying a filter to artificially alter the details and completely changing the look of an image, well!..THAT is a serious crime...that needs reporting to the correct authorities!

We shall be ever more gentle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Wow a really deep image chock full of activity M&T.

I'd call your pic more of an 'Avengers' shot, no single hero in this baby. Love that elliptical, the dust lane teasing the eyes, is it really there? Yes it is!

With all the mosaics out there, why not make it even bigger, do an Avengers versus Justice League battle scene... make me chuckle 'this is a 4 by 4 panel mosaic comprising 23 arcsecs'
Thanks Simmo.

Best,
Steed and Emma.
Old 28-07-2017, 06:37 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Haha, oh Diana Rigg, what a class act!