Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2024, 09:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Chichen attempt

What a drama getting everything to work after a 6 month lay off..mainly me but the weather was terrible...

I only worked on one scope the RASA 11with the view that it would be fast and with OSC I could get something.

Well I did and at least get a result so I can say the night was a success...my image is far from flash but that is not the point really.

Two hours of 60 second subs and I used old flats but they worked ok... Processing sent me bats but thats ok as at the start of the session being met with no power or response from anything etc I thought I would not get a run...I feel proud how I stayed focused thru what was an ordeal of fault fixing.
I found severe tilt issues but just had to ignore the problem..

Once I had the RASA running I did get the Askar going but mono and multi filters we wont see a result for a while.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (chic.jpg)
237.1 KB62 views
Old 11-04-2024, 04:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Welcome back Alex. Great to have a new image from your observatory. I am a fan of good colour.
Glen
Old 11-04-2024, 05:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Great to see you imaging again up there at Tabby
I’m sure you will sort out those issues ready for the next imaging session
Clear skies seem to be more frequent now than over the past 6 months or so which was frustrating
Welcome back

Best
Martin
Old 12-04-2024, 02:21 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks guys...now if only I can get a decent photo next time out. actually if only I can get a next time out is my current goal.
alex
Old 12-04-2024, 06:09 AM
leon

He's back, good on ya mate, we knew it wouldn't take to long, stay well my friend.

Leon
Old 12-04-2024, 08:03 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Yay! Alex is back! We've missed your words of wisdom.

Great work with the image, and it's good to see you're back out and about.

I can't wait to see your next image.

V.
Old 12-04-2024, 08:55 AM
Bodon (Steve)

A photo from Alex..been a while. Well done!
Old 12-04-2024, 11:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome.
I can't understand why my image turned out "different".
The stars just overwhelmed things...maybe moisture in the sky? Maybe the tilt?
But I dont care in so far as it felt so good to be going thru the motions...
alex
Old 12-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

Welcome back Alex. I don't know about the stars. Which processing software do you use. I use Siril for processing. In that programme you process the stars and nebula separately. If I stretch the stars too much in Siril they can become too dominant.
All the best, Rob.

PS. I didn't see tilt in your image, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-04-2024, 10:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
Welcome back Alex. I don't know about the stars. Which processing software do you use. I use Siril for processing. In that programme you process the stars and nebula separately. If I stretch the stars too much in Siril they can become too dominant.
All the best, Rob.

PS. I didn't see tilt in your image, but I could be wrong.
I think there was dew on the sensor.

alex
Old 12-04-2024, 11:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry to be brief but I was on my desk top that needs the genny for power and I was expecting the genny to run out of fuel...

I use Star Tools for my processing and although I am not entirely competent with it I cant attribute the problem in any way to me or Startools.
It was rather wet so seeing could have caused a poor result but today I can add to that the possibility of dew on the sensor because I recall I forgot to turn on the heater.

Tonight tilt seems to have fixed itself
Old 13-04-2024, 07:28 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
You probably already know , I’m always happy to assist folk regarding processing with Startools
Probably the most important thing with Startools is ensuring your Stacked data set is “Startools Compliant”.
Startools is all I’ve used for the past 6 years

Martin
Old 13-04-2024, 09:35 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex,
You probably already know , I’m always happy to assist folk regarding processing with Startools
Probably the most important thing with Startools is ensuring your Stacked data set is “Startools Compliant”.
Startools is all I’ve used for the past 6 years

Martin
Thanks Martin...I have spent some time since I first read your post going thru StarTools recommendations and must say there are areas that I can address.

The image here was not dithered for example which I usually do, the heater on the sensor was off also, flats probably were too old...in fact there were many things out of the ordinary that I can put down to rushing to get a result ...which I can accept because the last thing I expected given the layoff was to get any data at all ..I have not gone into all that took place merely to get power to the outlet for the scope but it involved batteries, inverter faulty leads and resurrection of a unused electrical system...I must say that to get the mount working etc was most of the game...

Anyways all is to be expected...it is almost like a New start..

I will get back up to speed with more time at the wheel.

Thanks for your help as your post prompted me to re read stuff and be reminded of many important matters...

alex
Old 13-04-2024, 02:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Just a side note , since using my Mono 2600MM ( Sept 2023 ) I’ve switched to using ASTAP for stacking instead of DSS.
On a number of occasions I’ve stacked the same data using both DSS and ASTAP , and I can confirm that ASTAP has produced better , cleaner , lower noise results than DSS. I haven’t used ASTAP to stack OSC from the 2600MC yet but I’m sure it too will be better.
I have used ASTAP for analysing my lights ( fts files ) since 2020 when I first bought my 2600MC but never stacked using ASTAP until Sept 2023. I was pleasantly surprised how good it is , particularly with Mono filtered data files, so much easier than DSS and a much better outcome.

Startools accepts ASTAP stacked data sets both OSC and Mono
See attached link below …
https://www.startools.org/links--tut...astap-settings

I can also provide info on using ASTAP

Cheers
Martin
Old 13-04-2024, 03:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex,
Just a side note , since using my Mono 2600MM ( Sept 2023 ) I’ve switched to using ASTAP for stacking instead of DSS.
On a number of occasions I’ve stacked the same data using both DSS and ASTAP , and I can confirm that ASTAP has produced better , cleaner , lower noise results than DSS. I haven’t used ASTAP to stack OSC from the 2600MC yet but I’m sure it too will be better.
I have used ASTAP for analysing my lights ( fts files ) since 2020 when I first bought my 2600MC but never stacked using ASTAP until Sept 2023. I was pleasantly surprised how good it is , particularly with Mono filtered data files, so much easier than DSS and a much better outcome.

Startools accepts ASTAP stacked data sets both OSC and Mono
See attached link below …
https://www.startools.org/links--tut...astap-settings

I can also provide info on using ASTAP

Cheers
Martin
That is very interesting Martin.

I do have Astro Pixel Processor which enjoyed very good reviews.
I have not used it for a project.
It has rather good star reduction capabilities aparently.

I need to start a new project really ...I gathered some data via the Askar on Eta which looks rather decent but I did not dither. I will start again and make sure I have ticked all the boxes...

Nevertheless I am very happy to be "playing around".
I start Chemo next week so not sure how that will leave me but I have found even playing around and managing all the trouble shooting has been very good for my attitude...

Thanks for all your input. I really do benefit from your help and appreciate it greatly.

I was in the observatory last night and for the first time it hit me just how much I have done there to make it work. I am only running three piers and have decommisioned the fourth but that gave me some floor space that I have carpeted and set up a nice big comfortable chair which works much better than squeezing between four rigs.

alex
Old 13-04-2024, 04:25 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Just remember that Startools tracks your data from start to finish once you start processing ( it’s unlike any other software ).So to jump in and out of Startools to other post processing software compromises its ability to track your data on the fly and provide the best outcome as far as signal fidelity to noise mitigation after each module to the end.
We certainly can swap between ST and other software but it’s counterintuitive and doesn’t really make good sense.

You certainly have done a monumental amount of work to get that big Obs up and running which is testament to your determination to get things done no matter what’s obstacles are thrown at you
Hope Chemo does its job and doesn’t knock you around too much in the process
If the weather gods are kind we might get some more consistent clear nights in the coming weeks and months

Best
Martin

Last edited by Startrek; 13-04-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 14-04-2024, 02:28 PM
Plossl68 (Paul)

Will just add my words of welcome back Alex. Great to see you posting again. Seemed awfully quiet without you here.
Old 14-04-2024, 02:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plossl68 View Post
Will just add my words of welcome back Alex. Great to see you posting again. Seemed awfully quiet without you here.
Thank you Paul. That is most kind of you to say that....I do hope that you and yours are well.

alex