Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-05-2016, 07:46 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Piggybacking camera on a Celestron 9.25 CPC

Hi all,

Recently sold my deep sky imaging setup (just not using it any more) and picked up a secondhand Celestron 9.25 CPC for visual use. About the only thing I did with my old NEQ6 Pro over the past two or so years was occasionally some solar imaging/observing with my PST or just putting my camera and lens on it for some higher res wide field images. I can see myself occasionally wanting to hook up these to my new scope. I know I am going to get rotation with the alt/az mount unless I invest in a wedge but for the exposure times I would be interested in it should not be much of an issue or it will be visual only with the PST.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a bar or tripod head attached to the SCT tube? The only thing I can think of at the moment is getting some tube rings with a 1/4inch camera thread (or hole) on top of them. This may well be the way I go unless anyone has some other ideas. I have heard of people deforking these things so there must be someway of attaching a bar to the tube?

Cheers

Greg
Old 15-05-2016, 10:20 PM
blink138 (Pat)

unless i am missing something obvious greg, the standard accessory rail on top and a piggy back mount for your dslr!?
pat
Old 16-05-2016, 09:58 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Celestron make a piggy-back adapter for exactly this purpose - Part #93609:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop...iggyback-mount
Old 16-05-2016, 05:43 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Celestron make a piggy-back adapter for exactly this purpose - Part #93609:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop...iggyback-mount
Awesome. Thanks Julian. That looks exactly what I want. Now to find a supplier....

Thank you also Pat. I was trying to avoid the whole rail thing. Bit of overkill for what I want to do I think.
Old 17-05-2016, 11:27 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I put a dovetail on my CPC925, which got basically nil use, until I deforked the scope and put it on a new mount, using the dovetail bar to mount it.

It was not all that costly from Bintel, though you need to be aware there are two different length bars for a C925 and order the right one.
Old 17-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapturingTheNight View Post
Awesome. Thanks Julian. That looks exactly what I want. Now to find a supplier....

Thank you also Pat. I was trying to avoid the whole rail thing. Bit of overkill for what I want to do I think.
The thing you've got to watch Greg is that the piggy back adapter is held in by screws on the rear cell casing. If you use a wide angle lens, you'll get the OTA in the shot unless of course, you put some kind of pivot inbetween.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:23 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Thanks Paul and Dunk. Have the Celestron piggyback adapter on its way to me. Will see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
The thing you've got to watch Greg is that the piggy back adapter is held in by screws on the rear cell casing. If you use a wide angle lens, you'll get the OTA in the shot unless of course, you put some kind of pivot inbetween.
Yeah I plan to have a tripod head in between Dunk