Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:24 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
I cannot for the life of me see where it says in the Guidelines referred to as a ban being IMMEDIATE. (And theres no need to shout, I may be old but I'm not deaf!)
I can, in the section you refer to, Boozlefoot.
The exact wording, of the first sentence, gives the leeway for Moderators to apply such immediate banning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceInSpace Forum Terms of Service
Breach of Guidelines
In most cases, a violation of these rules will result in a warning. A repeat violation may result in you being banned temporarily (for a day or two), or permanant ban in the case of serious repeated incidents.
While this may sound harsh, our aim is to build a community that people feel comfortable participating in, an open forum where people can exchange ideas and have spirited discussions, while treating people with respect and being treated with respect.
That said, thinking about this change, I am of the opinion that:
1. If there are now breaches of the ToS which will warrant an immediate banning, then the ToS really needs to be updated to clearly include these.
2. All users should be required to read the updated ToS.
3. If the user agrees to the updated ToS then to click on an 'I Agree' button.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

It's absurd when any disagreement, any actual opinionated discussion, any jocularity or light-hearted discussion becomes perceived "bullying" or vilification. It seems these days in our vastly over-controlled society that many need the protection of a set of rules, guidelines and an authoritative "moderator" to guide social interactions else be offended. What a sad reflection of society.

Its called LIFE, warts and all.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Now come on folks give David the support he deserves.

You could ask yourselves what has caused David to make such a post ... I would think that he has probably been subjected to complaints via PM and been drawn closer to the action than he would care to be...I dont know..we dont know...but he does a fine job as moderator and we should support him particularly as something must have motivated his post.
David is a gentleman so something must have really stirred him up.

I see it as a cry for help and only wish whoever has been leaning on him would get over whatever their perceived problem may have been.

My system is first not to overstep the mark but if I get pulled up not to argue that someone is denying my free speech. ..I always try and see how it must be for our Moderators and try to understand how difficult things could be for them...

A nice start would be for some of you to appologise to David and show him support and understanding.

I only hope that I am not the one causing problems.

Alex
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
It's absurd when any disagreement, any actual opinionated discussion, any jocularity or light-hearted discussion becomes perceived "bullying" or vilification. It seems these days in our vastly over-controlled society that many need the protection of a set of rules, guidelines and an authoritative "moderator" to guide social interactions else be offended. What a sad reflection of society.

Its called LIFE, warts and all.
Couldn't agree more Lewis. The more controlled and regulated society becomes the less responsible people become for their own actions and furthermore the less socially adapted people become. Minor perceived offences are dealt with with the same cast as more serious offences and as such people loose the ability to respectfully speak their mind and have heated but healthy debates. There are people on this site as a true representation of a cross section of the public that to be quite honest, I don't like. I feel their commentary is unnessaseray negative and counter productive. Sometimes I engage with them, sometimes I do not. The choice is entirely mine and I always have that choice. As in real life. I take entire responsibility for that choice. Last thing I would do is report someone for bullying me in an arguement I chose to be involved in.

Just my 5c
Closed Thread