Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Coda

G'day

Hello all, just joined and must say what a great site (been lurking for a month or two, very impressed, I have seen a forum or three in the past and Ice is only one of two who doesn't follow Sturgeons Law).
So I'm getting back into gazing now from an early brush at childhood, don't know much but I do have a pair of binoculars (plus since I get up early, way to early I'm learning the big objects from my decking).
So be prepared for a noob question or two, but I'll just say, to see anything past your speck of dirt is just...............words fail me!
Hope you understand.
Old 31-01-2012, 02:59 PM
sopticals (Stephen)

Hi Coda,

Welcome back to being a 3D person. I believe 99%, plus a bit, of humans are locked up in their 2D world, (too busy with all of lifes issues, and challenges, on this tiny wee speck of dust, (planet Earth),to even be aware of the great whats above, and beyond in this great Universe).

Like you, but after nearly a long absence, have recently returned to seeing something beyond my nose. However I rapidly grew past the old 10x50s to catch a bit of aperture fever. Went trough the 3", 4.5", 8", 12" apertures since returning, (about two years back). Settled momentarily at a 14" dob, but currently, in the final stages of finishing a larger dob, for which I am currently figuring 22" and 25" mirrors.

Yes I understand where your at. May your journey be exciting also as mine certainly is.

Stephen.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Coda , Welcome to IIS.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:17 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Welcome

Hello Coda, welcome again.
Sturgeons Law- intrigued, I looked it up. Does that mean the Universe is predominantly brown matter?
Keep those eyes t'wards the skies
Cheers
Graham