Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Wavytone

Congratulations Alex, sounds like problem solved !

How far in did you go - all the way to the lookout ?

Last edited by Wavytone; 03-07-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks for all your efforts Alex, it was a great night, hopefully you got some of your sketches done.Looking forward to the next get together.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Sorry i couldnt make it. I was planning to go since i was already in the area but i was too knackered after 4wd'ing

Looks like a nice open spot. Great pics WK and Mark.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 PM
malau (David)

Found a pic with some of you guys. Not really a good quality coz the noise but hope you guys like it
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (iis2_filtered.jpg)
193.2 KB87 views
Old 04-07-2016, 10:33 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

This site has the best horizon of ANY site that I've ever been to. Totally unobstructed. East, South, West AND North!

I stayed all night with Oleg, and we saw Andromeda RISE out from the horizon. No waiting for it to clear trees. AND, it was the best view of M31 I've had in years that night. Dusty lanes could be seen that define the spiral arms, and its two satellite galaxies with huge extended halos around them. Spectacular.

Thanks to all of you who came on this leap of faith of my judgement, . The fire was most welcome to warm up from the cold. Yes, the site is exposed, but hey, its a hill top! And to be able to see the Harbour Bridge from Mt Victoria, it is honestly unbelievable, but there it was! If you walk 50m further up the road you can also see Centre Point and the MLC buildings.

Wai Keen, that is a lovely photo of Mark & his scope!!!

Ivan, thank you so much for coming out on the site examination with me earlier that arvo. It made site selection a better one in having your thoughts & experience in the mix. Ta mate!

Ivan and I looked at four sites.

1, Point Pilcher first, and the tree line is too high.

2, The old Quarry, yes the gate is now locked because of tossers dumping rubbish there. It would have been a great site, surrounded by trees yes, but it is a large site and the expanse of sky is still very good, and the trees form a reasonable wind break. However, the surface is very sandy, with nasty gouges cutting through the site from rainwater, and really requires a 4WD to sure footedly negotiate, so we discounted it for our immediate purposes. Crown Lands I contacted about it, and the regulations regarding the Quarry meant we were free to use the site too! NOTE, the gate is really just to stop cars. The "fence" on either side of it are just a few boulders so walking access to the Quarry is unhindered. So if you don't mind carrying your gear from the gate-side, the Quarry is still viable. Parking at the gate is plentiful. This site is certainly one to keep in mind if you don't mind carrying your gear,

3, Crown Lands suggested the third site we visited as a site also at Mt Vic and we could freely use. But this location was too sandy for sedans to negotiate, and some jerk had also dumped dozens of bags of fiberglass batts that were broken and exposed. So no need to think any more about that location.

4, The last site visited was Vic. Falls Rd. Wavy, the obs site is 3km from the Great Western Highway turnoff - same length of unsealed road as that leading to the Airfield, and in the same condition.

NOTE: This site is 1050m above sea level - it is VERY FREAKING COLD up there. If you do go to this location, dress appropriately. The cold is unforgiving! Even in summer it can get cold here too at night.

The pic below is looking east. The peak in the picture is Mt Banks, named after Sir Joseph Banks. The lumpy profile of Mt Banks can be see from Sydney on those wonderful clear mornings. I have often seen Mt Banks from Sydney's Eastern Suburbs over the past 40 years, and had often wondered of its name and if it was just one peak or three separate places. It took this trip down Victoria Falls Rd to be enlightened on the topic. It is a really curious sensation to look back on Sydney from the other side of Mt Banks! Something like looking back at yourself, but from the other side of the mirror. Mark's photo of the Bridge is actually a tiny, tiny section of the horizon. What can be seen of Sydney is just through a tiny gap to the right of the third and shortest 'lump' of Mt Banks and the bright yellow cliff face just off to the right of this 'lump'. Mark, thanks for posting the photo of the Bridge from the Obs site, .

I've also attached a map showing the location of this site's location along Victoria Falls Rd. As a note, there is a fork in the road very soon after turning into Vic. Falls road - take the track to the right.

Alex.

PS - What should we call this location? I have two options, 1, "Vic Falls Obs Site" or 2, "Bald Ridge at Vic Falls Rd". The second option is more descriptive if you are looking for the site along the tree lined road.

Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (View east at Vic Falls Rd.jpg)
201.1 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (Victoria Falls viewing site - Copy.jpg)
53.3 KB74 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 04-07-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
bugeater (Marty)

That photo of the bridge is pretty awesome.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Admittedly, I chickened out because of the drive and the cold. Was just too far for a few hours, I told myself. I barely survived the evening at the Pony club. Had very cold feet. Am now more enlightened as to what I need to survive an whole night of observing.

Will certainly try to make the next one as it looks like it is extremely easy access, no muss, no fuss. Maybe even spend the weekend, weather permitting.

Do they frown on car camping?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Sadly I had to take a trip to Port Stephens, I would have rather come up to the Mountains. I can't wait to check out the new site
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Wavytone

Call it Mental's Folly or Area 51

Kevin, consider packing a hot water bottle and a thermos of hot tea with you, wrapped in something. When you're cold this will help a lot to warm up before coming home.

Also a sugar hit helps a lot - mars bar or chocolate.

For clothing...a full refrigeration suit or ski suit (pants with bib & braces and the jacket) with thermals under are pretty much essential. For your face, wear a knitted balaclava - this is something I wear paragliding in the mountains for much the same reason - it's even colder at 2000m.

Last edited by Wavytone; 05-07-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Sounds great, if cold!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:34 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Thanks Wavy,

Yes the full body cover is the key for sure. I brought a camp stove and plenty of tea bags, so no shortage of hot drinks, didn't help though.

I feel a winter clothing discount shopping trip coming up very soon! Should be ready for the next opportunity.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Area 51 sounds catchy!

I'm feeling tempted to make the longer trip next new moon. It would be good to meet some new people. A 3 hour drive each way might be pushing it, though.

Kevin, definitely some form of boots and very warm socks would be necessary. I had to quickly change to snow boots on Saturday, and it only got down to 7 by the time we left. Katoomba would be something else, I reckon.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:44 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

It was a good night. Could have been better if I actually wore my thermals. The freezer suit was good but, with thermals as well it would have been highly effective.

Was also happy to test out my new setup. Seems to be working well. Probably would have been wiser and turned up when there was more light though to make the setup process less painful. Oh well. Lessons learned.
At least there practically no dew that night.

Met some new people. That was cool too.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
At least there practically no dew that night.
Great, this is important. It confirms my experience that dew/frost are related to the microclimate at the site, and largely dependent on the soil in the immediate vicinity of the scope.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Great, this is important. It confirms my experience that dew/frost are related to the microclimate at the site, and largely dependent on the soil in the immediate vicinity of the scope.
Sandstone, sand and dry shrubbery.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Sandstone, sand and dry shrubbery.
Yee har, perfect.