Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Hornet

Which one would you buy?

Fairly straightforward question that I'd really appreciate some advice on.

Which telescope should I buy?
Saxon 1141EQMD (Reflector with EQ mount and motor drive) for $337, or
Saxon 804 AZ3 (Refractor with Az/El mount) for $312.

Why those two specifically? I have red balloon credit that I need to burn.

I'm a complete newby and I'm looking for a telescope that will be easy to use and inspire me to use frequently. Initially I thought that a refractor would be best, but the idea of a motor drive so I can watch without bumping the scope seems appealing. I'm not too phased about transportability or photography, I just want something I can use around the house to look into the night sky.

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:55 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Easy - refractor every time.
reasons:
optically an 80mm refractor will perform equally or better than a 114mm reflector.
Motor drive only useful at higher powers (above 100x) and with type you have to clutch in and out every time you shift object.
Reflector will not perform that well above 100x unless perfectly collimated.
Refractor does not need collimation.
Equatorial mounts are confusing for beginners.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Kunama

If the choice is one of those I would go the refractor, if you could get a 3rd option of a 6" dob I would go that way instead.....

Edit: just checked Red balloon, no Dobs so go the refractor!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

between those 2 the rafractor, the alt az mount will be much simpler and so will the refractor. having said that it wouldnt be my first choice. spend the money on the largest dobsonian you can afford
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Rule for beginners, if in doubt, avoid EQ mounts!!
Go the refractor, if the bug bights it will be a useful thing to have anyway and much easier to use than the other.
Or sell it here and go buy a dob!!

Malcolm
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
between those 2 the rafractor, the alt az mount will be much simpler and so will the refractor. having said that it wouldnt be my first choice. spend the money on the largest dobsonian you can afford

It is Red Balloon Credits that he is spending...... so dobs are out!

Reflectors on Eq mounts for beginners into visual were conceived by the Devil
Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post

agreed ...
Old 07-01-2016, 11:32 PM
raymo

The devil wasn't evil enough to have done it.
raymo
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Well Guys, I'm the odd one out I guess... not meaning to persuade the OP to go with an EQ mount but... I love my Astromaster 130 on its EQ mount. It has helped me immensely in understanding the celestial coordinate system and other than having to practice my yoga positions fully clothed, I find it just as easy to use as the Alt/Az of a Dob.

But all that said, I do support the simple nature of the Dob setup and making the first experience more enjoyable. It did take me a couple of nights to get comfortable with the EQ mount. And the views will be immensely better.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

When I first got into amateur astronomy, John Dobson's mount was just starting to get some publicity-you certainly could not buy one!
Only equatorial mounts were available commercially, and I had no trouble learning to use one. One quick lesson from an experienced member of my astro society.
I still have absolutely no desire to mess around with Dobsonian mounts.
I'm with Kevin!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post

You're calling
Joseph von Fraunhofer the devil??!

Normally I'm a reflector sort of bloke but in this case I think I agree about the refractor. I've never been a fan of newts <15cm and the tiny eq mounts I've seen them on are pretty substandard. However, my experience is based on scopes I used decades ago and perhaps mounts have improved. Even if they have I'd still lean to the frac.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I am afraid I am with Kevin and Laurie on this as it is not hard to learn an EQ mount and they are easier to use once set up .

Today's 114-130mm Newtonian OTA,s are well made and weigh next to nothing but saying that an EQ2 would be minium so ask before buying as some come with the EQ1 mount and there are woeful , the EQ2 is a better mount in all ways .

Do a google on these 2 mounts so you are better informed when you buy and don't be swayed by a smooth talking sales person if it has the eq1 , insist on an eq2 .

There is nothing wrong with the. 80mm refractor. , but on that mount it is more a spotting scope , not really an astronomical telescope. , also these are hard to use at the zenith and that is also where the best seeing is .

Brian.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM
raymo

I hasten to add that the EQ mount is a fine tool. My vitriol was aimed at
the cretins who manufacture and/or market scopes[usually reflectors] that are woefully [to use Brian's word] undermounted, and frequently fitted with motor drives that have no clutches, and shake at the lightest touch, making focusing very difficult.
raymo
Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I hasten to add that the EQ mount is a fine tool. My vitriol was aimed at
the cretins who manufacture and/or market scopes[usually reflectors] that are woefully [to use Brian's word] undermounted, and frequently fitted with motor drives that have no clutches, and shake at the lightest touch, making focusing very difficult.
raymo
That is the awful state of affairs these days. I did beef up the mount and focuser a bit, but I do love to tinker.

For the record, I would recommend as large a reflector as you can afford for the simple reason, IMHO as a newbie, that they will present a much more inviting view of the heavens and entice you to want to look at more. Upgrading to a refractor, once you have a better idea of what your interests will be.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:31 PM
glend (Glen)

As a first scope it's hard to go past the Lightbridge Mini Series of table top dobsonians. They are the updated and available again from a number of US suppliers and pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.astronomics.com/lightbri...or_p20373.aspx

They seem to be highly regarded for their quality delivered at that price. It comes with a Vixen style dovetail bar mount to the base so you can even move it over to an EQ mount if you want or stick it on a Vixen Porta II Alt-Az mount with train and track motor drive. Potential +.

A 130mm table top dob is a capable unit. Sitting out at a dark site with a glass of port on the table and your star charts, a nice way to spend an evening, and no lugging equipment around and assembling things.

I don't know that they will be available here, and shipping from one of the California based retailers like Opt Corp looks to be almost half the cost of the scope, oh well. .there is always the Astromaster 130 on the Porta II, but you can't sit down.

Last edited by glend; 08-01-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Fairly straightforward question that I'd really appreciate some advice on.

Which telescope should I buy?
Saxon 1141EQMD (Reflector with EQ mount and motor drive) for $337, or
Saxon 804 AZ3 (Refractor with Az/El mount) for $312.
Go for the refractor. It will be easier to use on a moments notice (and put away just as quickly when U are finished). If the sky-gazing bug really bites, U can always then buy a 6" or 8" Dob. If so, U will still use the refractor on those evenings when U just want a quick look.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:45 AM
OwenS

My first scope is a Advanced VX 8" Schmidt Cassegrain. The GEM has made it a very steep learning curve...