Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-09-2005, 10:17 PM
norm

Essential Acessory

Hi,

If I were to buy a 10" F5 dob with say 2 standard eyepieces 10mm and 20mm with a crayford focuser. Can you recommend the next must have accessory?
(excl, planisphere, skymaps, etc).

I was thinking of either a telrad viewfinder or a barlow.
Would I be better off appreciating the standard focuser for a couple of months or just go for the telrad?

As with the barlow, I hear the 2 x Orion Shorty is a good choice. Is that a good quaility item. I prefer to buy things once and knowing that I got something 1/2 decent as opposed to something cheap and nasty.
(dso etc are my real interests, if that helps weigh up the equation).

As for a collimating tool, I guess thats not so much a must have, but a mandatory item. If so, is there one and one only that does the trick?

I won't go into eyepieces just yet, cause I know thats another story.

Thanks heaps.
Old 19-09-2005, 10:58 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Norm, I, for one would not buy a 20 & 10 mm. A 32mm, with either 25/18, 15/12, would be a better spread. Reasons are, the barlow will double/halve each.
Buy the best quality barlow you can. Shorty + or Meade #140.
A combination sight tube or plain 'Cheshire' will suffice for collimation purposes. This will help also.>>>>
http://skyandtelescope.com/printable...rticle_790.asp
A red LED torch is a must.
If you're buying new, then the t'scope will come with a finder. Usually 8 x 50 or thereabouts. Stick with that for the time being. Good quality E/Pcs are more important.
HTH a bit more. L.
ps. The Meade SP's have an apparent field of 52 degrees. The 32mm gives me 1.44 degs @ 36 x mag.

Last edited by RAJAH235; 19-09-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 19-09-2005, 11:06 PM
jackenau

Essential Acessory

Now this only my opinion and I am no expert.

Based mainly on your ep selection, I don't believe the barlow would assist any. I stand corrected here!

The telrad is definately high on my list of preferances as an aid to viewing. I suppose you need to know what you are looking for, or at though.

I have had my 12# dob for a little under 12 months and it does not have the crayford focuser or the cooling fan, however, I ordered the telrad with it and apart from that had only standard ep's such as you mention.

I am more than happy with the Telrad and would have to say that was definately a worthwhile addition.

Following on from this I purchased the GSO 30MM wideview from Bintel which also was a step up in viewing pleasure. (Only draw back was, and this is my opinion only), was the cooling down time of the ep. It definately got better as the night went on.

I have progressed from there, but would rank the telrad and a wideview ep as a definate 1, 2 in next to purchase.

Ken M
Old 19-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm
Hi,

If I were to buy a 10" F5 dob with say 2 standard eyepieces 10mm and 20mm with a crayford focuser. Can you recommend the next must have accessory?
(excl, planisphere, skymaps, etc).
1: A good observing chair/stool.
2: A Cheshire collimator

A telrad is most useful in dark skies . If you live in the suburbs its less useful
Old 20-09-2005, 12:43 AM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
A telrad is most useful in dark skies . If you live in the suburbs its less useful
but still useful for suburban skies!

If someone said to me "right, you have to get rid of your barlow or your telrad, which will it be?!"... i'd have the hardest time deciding. I don't think i could live without either. I think you'll probably be very happy with either purchase for the start, and of course you'll get the other down the track

el
Old 20-09-2005, 08:14 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Can you change the selection of eyepieces to say a 25mm and a 15mm? The Orion Shorty Plus will effectively give you four different eyepieces with this combination.

If you are starting from scratch then the must haves are planisphere, red torch, observing chair (or you will get dobbers back), cheshire eyepiece, pair of binoculars and a cardboard box to carry it all in

The Telrad would fall into the nice to have bracket as the scope will have a functional finder scope on it already and your money would be better spent on the essentials. Another nice to have is a pair of speaker magnets with a thin felt covering to help with balancing issues but these can wait as well.

In the beginning just enjoy the scope and buy slowly and wisely.

Cheers
Old 20-09-2005, 01:03 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

I would say an 2x Orion Shorty Plus, a wider FOV ep say the GSO 20mm WA or a 32mm Super Plossl and a UHC filter. For me the one accessory I cannot do without is my UHC filter. Oh and don't forget the monk's hood (double black cloth to drape over your head while observing

Darren
Old 20-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Buy a membership to your local astronomy club! Then you can try out everybody else's toys before deciding which ones you want the most.
Good luck!

Brian.
Old 21-09-2005, 06:12 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Excellent advice Brian!

Darren
Old 21-09-2005, 06:16 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

And most clubs and societies have good libraries for their members to take out books!
Old 27-09-2005, 11:13 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G'day Norm

Buy an OIII filter, they work brilliantly with 250mm Dobs. Then if you are sufficiently motivated and have saved up a few dollars buy one fantastic eyepiece something like a Nagler or a panoptic. Remember a top eyepiece is for ever no matter what 'scope you own. Personally I dont rate barlows for one simple reason, extra glass in the light path. also I personally find they are a bit of a stuff around but hey, Im lazy.

Oh by the way I realize some eyepieces particually long eye relief models have barlow elements.