Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2024, 11:08 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Just an FYI for those following this thread. ZWO have noted that they'll be releasing a software / firmware update to include mosaic functionality to the Seestar shortly.
Old 12-03-2024, 12:12 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
Just an FYI for those following this thread. ZWO have noted that they'll be releasing a software / firmware update to include mosaic functionality to the Seestar shortly.

Thanks Dean, mine arrived yesterday - looking forward to some semi-clear skies!
Old 13-03-2024, 09:26 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Hey.

Has anyone tried out the new "horizontal calibration" feature? I believe it works by doing a 3 star plate solving routine to correct its horizontal leveling and then it automatically adjusts tracking for the difference.

I'm reading from user groups that it allows you to polar align the Seestar and effectively remove star trails.
Old 13-03-2024, 11:07 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Hi Adrian,
I've been using it. The Seestar does a horizontal calibration before the first image. It takes between 1 and 2 minutes. Mind you, I also level my tripod and do a compass calibration (where you spin the Seestar around) before each session too. I've actually marked where my tripod legs need to be and set up the same way each time, so the tripod is generally level anyway.

The only time the horizontal calibration seems to have come unstuck is when it was having problems seeing enough stars. It's not a bad idea to do your calibration and autofocus routine on a busy area of sky with some mid brightness stars. It seems to help, especially if you're using filters. Remember that horizontal calibration isn't going to polar align your scope as it's an alt/az setup, but it does help with tracking and finding objects more accurately. I've found that it helps with those pesky trashed shots discarded due to trailing. I get very few of them unless my target starts getting obscured by my neighbour's windbreak trees
Old 14-03-2024, 01:37 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Well Well, speak of the devil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLiK-wcLqk
Old 14-03-2024, 01:39 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Cuiv the lazy geek just released a video on EQ mounting the S50 (which some people have been doing for a long time)

There is a Facebook group called the Smart Telescope Underworld where these and other innovations are discussed.

The ultra stack project- see my Seestar ultra stack project thread here on IIS, originated here at this Facebook Group

Worth checking out if you have a S50
Old 15-03-2024, 09:08 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Finally got a clear hour or so to try out my new toy last night, and I must say, I think I'm hooked.The setup is very straight forward and within 5 minutes I was off. I of course forgot all the good advice provided by you peeps, but still seemed to get things working OK. My attempts at M42 are below/attached. One was 15 minutes with no filter, one was 7 minutes with the inbuilt filter. I know that one has twice as many frames as the other, but apart from a slight colour difference and minor tightening of the stars, there doesn't appear to be a massive difference between them - perhaps some skilled processing (which I don't possess) would bring out more detail in the filtered image. Both images are straight off the device with no processing of any kind. The third image is with some fairly heavy-handed messing about with the LightRoom app on my phone. I did notice that with the filter engaged, it took quite a bit longer to "enhance" each frame, and for some reason I got quite a few messages to the effect that there were star trails and the frame couldn't be kept. I noticed this particularly when trying for NGC 2244 (I was aiming for the rosette nebula but centred on the associated OC). In the space of 15 minutes, I reckon every third frame failed, and it was taking 20-30 seconds for the timer to clock up every 10 second frame. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42 no filter.jpg)
176.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (m42 filter.jpg)
197.1 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (m42 no filter LR.jpg)
198.3 KB55 views
Old 15-03-2024, 11:44 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Does anyone know if they're going to fix the frame rejection, and compass and level sensor?
Old 15-03-2024, 11:57 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

That's great news Patrick - and well done on your first pics! They're pretty clean for such short integration times. Your skies must be well darker than mine lol. I think the internal filter would come into its own if you have a lot of light pollution. It certainly helps where I am. With regard to the Seestar dropping subs due to trailing, I originally had the same problem. What fixed it for me was to do a compass calibration at the start of the night for each session (where you slowly spin the unit until the compass is calibrated). It's in the Advanced settings. Doing the compass calibration also helped me with the problem of horizontal calibration failing to complete. This might be the fix you're looking for - fingers crossed.

Make sure that your tripod is level before you start as well. I set up in the exact same spot every time so don't level very often. I'm not sure that it's particularly important given that the unit does a horizontal calibration anyway, but just in case.
Old 15-03-2024, 12:09 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
That's great news Patrick - and well done on your first pics! They're pretty clean for such short integration times. Your skies must be well darker than mine lol. I think the internal filter would come into its own if you have a lot of light pollution. It certainly helps where I am. With regard to the Seestar dropping subs due to trailing, I originally had the same problem. What fixed it for me was to do a compass calibration at the start of the night for each session (where you slowly spin the unit until the compass is calibrated). It's in the Advanced settings. Doing the compass calibration also helped me with the problem of horizontal calibration failing to complete. This might be the fix you're looking for - fingers crossed.

Make sure that your tripod is level before you start as well. I set up in the exact same spot every time so don't level very often. I'm not sure that it's particularly important given that the unit does a horizontal calibration anyway, but just in case.

Thanks Dean, I did the compass calibration and tried to level the tripod before starting, although if your base is slightly out, then the compass calibration sort of throws out the leveling and you need to do the digital leveling in the app. The horizontal calibration completed OK. I'm in Bortle 5 skies, so overall pretty happy with the maiden voyage.
Old 19-03-2024, 08:07 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Just wondering if anyone has done the Seestar software / firmware update that was released a couple of days back as yet...
Old 19-03-2024, 09:35 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
That's true. I'm navigating the long and winding path of post processing. Still very new to it though.
SNIP

This is what I've been doing to date. It's pretty basic but it's where I'm at. I'm not sure that I really want to do much more with a Seestar shot:

Wow thanks mate thanks for taking the effort to explain your workflow -Īve printed it out for reference .
Old 20-03-2024, 02:59 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has done the Seestar software / firmware update that was released a couple of days back as yet...

Just doing it now. Hoping it will sort out my extremely long stacking times - sometimes it's 10-11 seconds, plus a 15-20 second stack for every 5th frame, then other times it's like 20-22 seconds per frame for minutes at a time, plus all the alleged star trails....
Old 26-03-2024, 02:39 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Well got mine. I have to say this is the most excited I've been to use astro equipment in a few years. 1 night and I'm hooked. I cant believe the images I am getting straight out of the thing from a bortle 7 sky with a full moon.

Just put it down, do a little calibration and away you go. Its a fantastic bit of kit and a game changer.

I took my first picture of the Sun on the weekend. Turned out great and If I never got a Seestar I would have never taken a image of the sun. Maybe ever. Cant wait to see what it can do from Bortle 1/2 skies.