Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Rastis
Professional Idiot

Polar alignment scope

Hi Champs,
Can anyone tell what a illuminated reticle (NH) polar alignment scope is and how do you use it?
Have a nice day,
Rastis.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:29 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

Sorry Rastis, i have not heard of that before but i do hope to find out in here soon enough..
Old 09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

[quote] A Polar Alignment Scope is a small telescope or tube used for aligning your telescope with the North or South Celestial Pole. This alignment is necessary in order for the telescope to track the stars. Good tracking is a must for long exposure astrophotography, to keep the image from blurring. It is also make slewing and tracking much easier during visual observing. [quote]

The EQ6 has a polar scope in the mount head, i think the newer ones are illuminated the older ones not.

Google polar alignment scope for some more info.....
Old 09-10-2005, 08:59 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

Thanks Trev.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
beren

Polar alignment scopes can be either souped up finder scopes or sight tubes that "help" with polar alignment , with some EQ mounts like the common EQ5 etc theres a opening for one of these scopes along the RA axis which ficilates the adjusting of the polar axis to the SCP/NCP. Some of the sophisticated ones have illuminated markings that much the star patterns around the NCP/SCP which by careful aligning gives hopefully correct polar alignment .
Old 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

No probs, i only had a bit of an idea as i am getting an EQ6 mount and had the polar alignment scope thinga majing explained to me.

The scope has small circles inside it in the shape of polaris, and you just line the circles up with the stars after getting the mount level.

It sounds easy, i will soon see if it is as simple as that for good polar alignment
Old 09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
beren

You might have trouble using that Trevor with the Polaris pattern , there are Southern hemisphere versions , ive seen one dealer advertising online illum scopes but are northern hemisphere types , i dunno for the price of them i would think a little sweat at practising drift alignment would be a better investment
Old 09-10-2005, 09:24 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Ooops, you are right, i meant Octans, the one i was shown in the shop was $100 or so.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:25 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastis
[font=Arial]illuminated reticle (NH) polar alignment scope
NH = Northern Hemisphere

Polar scopes are OK if all you're doing is visual work, but unless its machined to really fine tolerances (along with your scope mount head) they are generally not accurate enough for photographic work. That's where learning drift aligning comes in very handy. The polar scope will get you in the ball park and then spend some time drift aligning. It will save you many curses.