Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 PM
melchior

Examples of photos taken on modest reflectors?

Hi there,

i'm not even a beginner since i've never even looked through a telescope but I am just looking at different options and just wondering if anyone has any examples of photos taken through something like the mid priced reflectors at http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

I am pretty sure that they wouldn't be seeing anything more than bright stars and saturn and jupiter, or would I be lucky even with that? That's why i'd like to see examples of what the different ranges can do... Anyone got some good links and comparisons?

While I am not about the jump in just yet I am trying to figure out what can be done with what... I am specifically interested in astrophotograhy so an equatorial mount with a drive is a must-have. Or so I believe at this point...

For reference I have a canon 20d dSLR that i would like to make use of...

Thanks!!!

p.s. If people want to make suggestions, must be pretty portable and looking at around $500 but probably end spending (a lot) more the goal being taking photos of stars (one day nebulae) from a mostly inner city environment... (park or beach)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi melchior, Welcome. For a start, you might try the images section in the MENU at top left of page. Mike has lots of links/info in there re; your question. Enjoy. L.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Melchoir.....you dont need a very expensive scope to take some pictures with your 20D.

The problem is you need tracking if you want anything remotely decent...meaning a motorised mount.

For viewing the GSO dobs are great which some members will comment on, but its a fairly big step if you want to do astrophotography...

It would be nice to get some use out of your 20D considering you already have a great camera.

Here is a comparison of a nebula I did with my 20DA and a approx picture of what I can see through the same scope visulay...their is a huge difference and you wont regret it if you go down that path.

Best thing to do is to meet up with some other members here before you go buy anything and they will glady show you your option's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scope shot.jpg)
21.5 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (Dumbell crop.jpg)
64.5 KB38 views
Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

melchior.

There are thousands of great images taken through reflectors. But the painful truth is for $500 and the telescopes you pointed to, you just won't do it. Not and remain sane and satisfied with your images, that is. For a combination telescope and mount at that price, the mount would just not be anywhere near stable enough and the scope quality "could" leave a lot to be desired. You may be able to pick up a motorized EQ4 or 5 if your lucky that has good tracking ability, (you wouldn't know until you tried it), but it certainly wouldn't be enough to mount a reflector more than 4 or 5 inches in diameter and still remain stable for imaging. You might be able to piggyback your camera with it and use the scope to guide with.

Some of the scopes shown in the linked pages ( the ones with the larger more stable mounts) would be fine to view through, but even the 200 EQ5 and the 250 EQ6 are overloaded for imaging through IMO (mainly from lever arm movement rather than weight. ie the tube is too long for my tastes on that mount). If you were to put the 200 on the EQ6 you would stand a better chance.

My strongest suggestion is to get to a starparty or imaging session with experienced people and see what is available and needed to carry out your imaging wants/needs. Goodness knows once you start down the imaging pathway you can forget holidays in Fiji with your holiday bonus. It will go to that extra item that you just have to have to catch that just elusive image.