Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Carlz (Carly)

Photography rig upgrade

Hey everyone,

I still class myself a beginner, as a) I have been out of the game for 5 years, and b) my set up is very basic and still learning!

I currently have a skywatcher ED80, NEQ6 pro. I was originally using my DSLR for photography, then I purchased a ZWO mono but never got to figure out how to use it.

Now that I’m back into it, I’m looking at upgrading my scope, and potentially my mount.

I’m happy with my NEQ6, however I have read they have changed the gears in it. My mount is probably 10 years old now! I’d be happy to upgrade to the new NEQ6 but still unsure of the difference between the 2 newer models, and if it’s worth the upgrade?

Scope - I’m looking for something bigger and better than the ED80, but within weight range of the NEQ6 (and my 145cm pregnant self &#128514. I love deep sky photography, but also want to try planetary. Should I keep the ed80 for planetary? (Haven’t done planetary before so not sure!)

If I can’t figure out my ZWO mono, I’ll probably end up purchasing the colour because I haven’t touched it in 5 years.

Any ideas, help, opinions would be greatly appreciated for this newbie that has been in the game since 2011 *facepalm*
Old 31-05-2023, 12:09 PM
Premordial (Max)
Pale green dot

Hey Carlz, I've been imaging since 2015, so even more noob than you haha. All visual before 2015.

Not knowing your budget, I'll just throw some ideas out there based on my own research/experience...

Like you, I have an ED80 and happy with it. Mount is an AZEQ6 which easily handles the ED80. Compared to the older EQ6 mounts I believe the difference is belt drive which in theory tracks better and better usability, eg. much improved Alt adjustment (aka less swearing when doing polar alignment), more secure power connector etc.

I'm thinking of getting a scope with more reach for galaxies and planets. At the top of my list at the moment is an 8 inch SCT. They are not too heavy, and the focal length can range from approx 1400mm to 2000mm depending if a reducer is used. Seems to fit the bill. And I reckon (fingers crossed) my mount can handle it.

I've imaged planets with the ED80. With a barlow and a ZWO cam with a small sensor, I was happy with the results.

So many factors to consider, so many scope/mount options out there. Exciting times!
Old 31-05-2023, 09:07 PM
raymo

Your mount will handle a 10 or 11" SCT, let alone a bubby 8".
Just belt mod the old NEQ6, and give it a service[yourself if you are handy
with tools], hugely cheaper than buying a new mount.
raymo
Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Startrek (Martin)

As a bona fide user of Newtonian reflectors my suggestions are -

6” f5 Newt GSO or Skywatcher
8” f5 Newt GSO or Skywatcher

You can pick up either of these Newts for under $1000

No problem sitting on the NEQ6 mount
Easy to collimate
Biggest bang for buck
Suitable for both DSO and Planetary imaging
Plenty of reach
Using an APS C sized camera sensor eg: 2600MM or 2600MC you can fit in most Popular DSO objects

Most beginners tend to steer away from Newts as they have an aura about being difficult to collimate , balance , and set up generally . This is a misnomer, as once you get familiar with them , it’s easy and straightforward

I’ve used Newts from 6” to 12” from day one and they certainly perform at the highest level of Astrophotography

Good luck with which ever path you choose

Clear Skies
Martin
Old 01-06-2023, 12:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well with astro photography and a new baby you won't be getting much sleep.

I have four scopes in an observatory all on permanent piers ( although two are on tripods on permanent piers)...an 80mm mono, 115 mm mono, 130 mm mono and a RASA 11 inch one shot colour and I have been a beginner longer than anyone...my experience tells me don't be in a rush to go past 80mm.

My best images come from my 80mm scope ( although the new 130 mm may become my favorite probably due to better guiding via the OAG).

My sincere advice is work with your current mount and current scope.

The short focal length of your scope will be handled by you current mount...you may need to pull it down adjust it etc but that really comes with all mounts...I have one of the first eq6 and I bet it does as good as a new mount having been "adjusted" probably ten times over the years

You say you have a mono camera...you really need filters to go with a mono camera...they will take all your money and a full set will cost the price of a new eq6r mount...but they are a must have...and you need a filter wheel to hold said filters...you can use a filter draw but trust me don't...the filters get filthy no matter how careful you are so get the wheel..you could go for just Ha S11 and O11 and a three spot type wheel and do SHO images...or just capture in black and white and colour in your images in Photoshop..I have done that.

Here is a 80 mm mono of M42 please don't worry about the colour

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NewComposite.jpg)
197.5 KB34 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 01-06-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And my best from the 11 Inch RASA...( Costing thousands more but only OSC)..I had a mono on it but that is where I learnt that filter draws are not so good.
My point is you can do great things with the 80mm...and the exposure time with the 80mm was only 30 seconds subs because it is on a poor eq5...the main problems with each image is my inability to process.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ORION.jpg)
198.7 KB35 views
Old 02-06-2023, 09:26 AM
Carlz (Carly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
As a bona fide user of Newtonian reflectors my suggestions are -

6” f5 Newt GSO or Skywatcher
8” f5 Newt GSO or Skywatcher

You can pick up either of these Newts for under $1000

No problem sitting on the NEQ6 mount
Easy to collimate
Biggest bang for buck
Suitable for both DSO and Planetary imaging
Plenty of reach
Using an APS C sized camera sensor eg: 2600MM or 2600MC you can fit in most Popular DSO objects

Most beginners tend to steer away from Newts as they have an aura about being difficult to collimate , balance , and set up generally . This is a misnomer, as once you get familiar with them , it’s easy and straightforward

I’ve used Newts from 6” to 12” from day one and they certainly perform at the highest level of Astrophotography

Good luck with which ever path you choose

Clear Skies
Martin
Hi Martin,

I could only assume newts collimate like dobs? If so, my husband is a pro at collimating both my 8” dob and his 12” dob.

Thank you, I’ll definitely consider your suggestion!
Old 02-06-2023, 09:31 AM
Carlz (Carly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well with astro photography and a new baby you won't be getting much sleep.

I have four scopes in an observatory all on permanent piers ( although two are on tripods on permanent piers)...an 80mm mono, 115 mm mono, 130 mm mono and a RASA 11 inch one shot colour and I have been a beginner longer than anyone...my experience tells me don't be in a rush to go past 80mm.

My best images come from my 80mm scope ( although the new 130 mm may become my favorite probably due to better guiding via the OAG).

My sincere advice is work with your current mount and current scope.

The short focal length of your scope will be handled by you current mount...you may need to pull it down adjust it etc but that really comes with all mounts...I have one of the first eq6 and I bet it does as good as a new mount having been "adjusted" probably ten times over the years

You say you have a mono camera...you really need filters to go with a mono camera...they will take all your money and a full set will cost the price of a new eq6r mount...but they are a must have...and you need a filter wheel to hold said filters...you can use a filter draw but trust me don't...the filters get filthy no matter how careful you are so get the wheel..you could go for just Ha S11 and O11 and a three spot type wheel and do SHO images...or just capture in black and white and colour in your images in Photoshop..I have done that.

Here is a 80 mm mono of M42 please don't worry about the colour

Alex

Hi Alex thanks so much for your advice! I thought I may have “maxed out” the capabilities of my ed80. I live in a light polluted area, so that doesn’t help at all.
In regards to the camera, yes I borrowed a filter wheel and filters off a friend. However I thought it was too tedious changing every time, when I could just get a colour and eliminate that annoying filter change. Because for me, I only know dslr and basic processing of that

I guess in the meantime I can always set up in my yard with no view of south, and try and accomplish something
Old 02-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Carlz (Carly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Your mount will handle a 10 or 11" SCT, let alone a bubby 8".
Just belt mod the old NEQ6, and give it a service[yourself if you are handy
with tools], hugely cheaper than buying a new mount.
raymo
Do you know where I could get info in regards to modding the NEQ6?

That would save me a lot!
Old 02-06-2023, 11:57 AM
raymo

I've never needed to do the mod, but numerous IIS members have, so
I'm sure somebody will help you. You could in the meantime google
Rowan belt mod for Skywatcher mounts; I imagine that would come up with useful info.
raymo
Old 03-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Didge (Gary)

Hi Carlz,
Like you, I'm the happy owner of an 80ED, which I use with a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount.

I recently did the Rowan belt mod on the mount - not only did it get rid of that terrible grinding noise when the mount slews, it significantly improved tracking performance as well. I highly recommend it.

It's easily done by anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge, but does require some special tools - ie a gear puller.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you could buy the kit from the team at Testar - or take your mount to them and they will install and calibrate it for you, which is what I did.

I hope that helps

Gary
Old 03-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Carlz (Carly)

Gary, that’s perfect thanks so much! I actually only recently discovered testar while googling. I’ve only ever been to bintel. So my husband and I are planning a drive there hopefully next weekend. I might have to email them, as they are currently out of stock of the mod. I’m on the central coast, so not toooo far.
I hate the slewing grind! Thanks again for the info!
Old 04-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Didge (Gary)

Hi Carlz,
Great - I'm pleased that info was helpful.

The team at Testar are very knowledgeable and really helpful - they will certainly look after you.

Cheers,

Gary