Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Titanic

Plossl and Collimator

What is the difference between a Plossl and a Super Plossl eyepiece. Am I right in assuming anything called SP is better quality and hence the price difference. Also when sellers or manufacturers put their name on the eyepiece like Bintel Super Plossl are these eyepieces specially made for them to a set quality or could the same eyepiece be marketed under another other name like Skywatcher SP.
My second question is . The Orion Laser collimater and the Orion Collimating eyepiece both sold by Bintel are very similar in price. For a beginner which provides the easiest of use to collimate my new (when it arrives) 10" SW Dob.

Thanks for any advice

Steve
Old 26-07-2006, 10:00 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I'll give the second question a comment...don't feel sufficiently knowledgable to tackle the first.

I'd highly recommend the non-laser collimating eyepiece as a first collimation tool...

I find that it is simple to use, requires no batteries, and never needs realignment.

While there are good laser collimators available (I'm sure), the standard Orion non-laser collimator is solidly built and will last a lifetime...it is good at aligning the secondary and primary and is a "must have" tool for newtonian reflector owners.

I do own a laser and do use it (and they can be helpful tools) but I always count on the Orion Collimating Eyepiece and use it as "the standard"...even when I use the laser to "fine tune" I always go back to "double check" it with the old fashioned non-laser tool.
Old 26-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanic
What is the difference between a Plossl and a Super Plossl eyepiece. Am I right in assuming anything called SP is better quality and hence the price difference.
Once upon a time Meade sold a 5 element eypiece which they called a "super plossl". These were a superior eyepiece to most plossls, but these days "super plossl" is just a meaningless marketing term.

Its also very common practice for house brand eyepieces to be sold by numerous other dealers under different names.
Old 26-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

I purchased the Orion "Combo" sighting / Cheshire tube a couple of months ago, and love it .... this IS the one you do want if you're buying only one of the 2 tools.

Don't get "just" a sighting tube, make sure it's got the Cheshire function (ie 45 degree side mirror) built in as well. My viewing improved IMMEDIATELY whcih meant my pleasure improived immediately as well - because I was able to set a much more precise collimation on my 10" reflector. I started to see very faint stars, fine detailson Jupiter, etc, that I simply had not been able to visually resolve previously.

Having said that I now also have the laser collimator - yes, very useful to fine tune the collimation quickly AFTER using the combo tube, but I'd rate the combo as being more useful.

Again if you decide to eventually get the laser tool as well don't get the "basic" version, make sure you get the version with the "return beam target". Once you use it, you'll understand clearly why.

Hope that all helps - from one collimation newbie to another!

Steve
Old 26-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Oh yes, the other question - I was under the impression that what some retailers sell as "super" plossls are supposed to have a slightly wider field of view than a "standard" plossl, but don't take that as gospel, especially on any given eyepiece.
Old 27-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott
I'd highly recommend the non-laser collimating eyepiece as a first collimation tool...
I would back up that statement as well. You can't go too wring with one of these. With the lasers you need a bit more background knowledge of how the scope actually works, but with the collimating eyepiece it will work without you really knowing what you're doing.

I don't think there is too much in the Super Plossls. Not a significant difference, anyway. If you want a good plossl I'd go for a Meade one, they're only ones that have impressed me over the years. Otherwise you've got to take a step up to the more expensive eps.
Old 27-07-2006, 09:11 AM
bojan
amateur

I had a bad experience with Meade plossl (20mm, sold on Ebay for US$25.00). The field of view was wide enough, but when the image was sharp in centre , it was out of focus at the edges...(even my old Zeiss Huygens was better). I thought that something is wrong with that particular one so I asked the vendor for another one, but no joy, so I had to send both of them back).
Other Meade Plossls were reasonably OK (10mm and 5mm. Coated barlow was OK as well)
Old 27-07-2006, 07:27 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

All of my Meade Super Plossl's are just fine, but they are of the 'Made in Japan' variety, & bought a few years ago. The later/cheaper ones, now, I think, are made in Taiwan or China & 'some' are being made 'specifically for longer focal length' telescopes. eg; Meade ETX's etc. I bought one last year n found the same focus/FOV prob just described. Not suitable for my fast f4.5 DOB. Ummm, the text on box said, 'ETX scopes'!!! Just be careful with your choices. L.
Old 28-07-2006, 08:01 AM
bojan
amateur

I think that "made in Japan", some time ago, is what made the real difference here.
There is no way that the EP designed 'specifically for longer focal length' could render it useless for, say, my f5.6 mirror.
Always try before you buy... if you can not try, do not buy, there will always be another opportunity :-)